I bought my first Studebaker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought my first Studebaker!!

Well we went out to Beresford today and gave it a real good looking over, we even unbolted the fender to check for inner fender rust, all the body work is done, and done well for what it is. It's gonna take time money, and alot of determination. But I think I can make it happen, I don't expect it to be going anytime soon but I want it to be at least drivable by IDYSD next year. I don't want to finish it before it hits the streets just get a running motor/ tranny in there, get it all sealed up, get it braking, you know start with the basics. I hope to find a decent parts car, preferably a GT Hawk, it'll make this much easier. The car in question is 1953 starlight champion coupe, and it's all mine
    This may all blow up in my face in the end but I'm gonna try as hard as I can. I don't think it will though I don't plan refurbish anything that doesn't need it just make it usable and reinstall it. I think a parts car could make this happen a lot easier, and I plan to get one asap. I plan to find a 289/ 4 speed, and throw that in there, I'll settle for a 3 speed if I have too. I want to use a gt hawk dash if I can get one cheap enough. I think if I keep my standards low and keep number one goal driving it, then I think I'll get it going soon enough. I know a lot of people doubt me, and have good reason, but I hope you all will support me and my crazy decisions as I make my journey into studeom. Here's me and my new baby

Congratulations and best wishes with your car.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Congrats !
      I have no doubt that you'll be Studebakerin down the road in no time. I agree, get it to "rolling project" status, then have fun with it. It can remain a rolling project indefinitely, or fix the cosmetics a little at a time, all the while you are still driving & enjoying it.
      Safety & dependability first, in that order.

Is it a six, or eight cylinder? Either one will get you down the road.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Congrats !
        I have no doubt that you'll be Studebakerin down the road in no time. I agree, get it to "rolling project" status, then have fun with it. It can remain a rolling project indefinitely, or fix the cosmetics a little at a time, all the while you are still driving & enjoying it.
        Safety & dependability first, in that order.

Is it a six, or eight cylinder? Either one will get you down the road.

Joe
        It's a flat six but I will go one way or the other. I plan on this being a mild hot rod in the end. The six will be a last resort, but I already have a lead on a parts with V8 3speed OD, which I just might buy. I'll need a vintage floor shifter if I went three speed.

Comment

Good luck and keep the rubber side down. Think positive and things aren't so likely to blow up in your face!
          Enjoy!

If you work on getting the current engine rolling, then brakes for stopping, there shouldn't be a reason you can't participate in IDYSD THIS year. If the engine works, worry about your interior and everything else, before you get bogged down in an engine swap. Just MO.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
            Good luck and keep the rubber side down. Think positive and things aren't so likely to blow up in your face!
            Enjoy!

If you work on getting the current engine rolling, then brakes for stopping, there shouldn't be a reason you can't participate in IDYSD THIS year. If the engine works, worry about your interior and everything else, before you get bogged down in an engine swap. Just MO.
            That's what I thought at first but it's already out of the car, and sitting behiend, and I don't want to put a six back in there. The motors sat since 1965 so it's probably stuck, we couldn't find the breaker bar and it wouldn't have made any difference on the sale so we'll see. I'm gonna see if I can make it start on the garage floor and if so, it might go back in for a time. I want it to be a back up plan, but the V8 swap will so easy with it all undone the way it is.

Comment

Congratulations on a nice little project. I think Leo is right - a little perseverance and it could be at least mostly mobile by September. It's a good starting point.

More pictures!
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I'll post more when we go to pick it up. The guy said he'll deliver it for the gas.
                Off subject but are three speed hurst shifted trannies as cool as I think they are?

Comment

I had years ago a 69 Pontiac "A" body with a 3 speed Hurst shifter. It was lots of fun & didn't miss not having a 4 speed.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                    I had years ago a 69 Pontiac "A" body with a 3 speed Hurst shifter. It was lots of fun & didn't miss not having a 4 speed.
                    Well it would be different! Would it interfere with the OD at all? I can't see why it would.

Comment

So this is the grey one that's currently mostly a shell?
                      www.spannerbird.com
                      Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spannerbird View Post
                        So this is the grey one that's currently mostly a shell?
                        Yes it is, but it comes with all its parts and a bunch of extras that came off another car. I plan to source a rusty hawk and guts it's mechanicals, and electricals to get moving a fast as possible. I already have a few good leads on parts cars.

Comment

I was growing up with a dad who loved to tell me "you aint good/skilled enough to do that" & it sure kept me down for many years & also put a few cars on the scrap-yard but in the end I got a hold on myself & then he started to speak good about me... but only to others & behind my back.
                          So if some folx think you'll drop out of it you won't.
                          'Cuz that's the way it is with Studebaker-people!
                          (probably because it's such much fun)

Comment

Congratulations! You are now the owner of one of the most iconic Studebakers there is! Starting this way is a great way to learn. No doubt you will make some mistakes, but that is also part of the learning process. Don't let that possibility discourage you! We look forward to seeing your progress and I for one find your enthusiasm exciting!
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post

Off subject but are three speed hurst shifted trannies as cool as I think they are?
                              congrats on the purchase, by the look of the door window frame in the photo it looks like a C5 (regal) because of the bolt holes for the chrome trim. You`re going to have fun with this year and model of stude. Hurst shifted 3 spds are fun, but IIRC you will need to modify one to fit the trans and work with od. Do a forum search...I think jack vines, gord r, and flashback may have posted on this topic. waiting to see the photos...guess this means no 260z now? cheers, junior.
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X