Truck Production Order Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Production Order Puzzle

I received the Production Order for my recently acquired '57 Transtar from the SNM today. As I'm sure it is for most members, it was very interesting to note all of the original features of the vehicle.
    However, one item is quite puzzling (to me anyway). The model number is listed on the Production Order as "3E-6-112-C4". To me, this indicates a 57/58 Transtar 1/2 ton shortbox pick-up with a 245 six and a deluxe cab. All of that matches with the truck (except the motor, as a 289 was transplanted into him many years ago). However, my truck is definitely a long box (122" wheelbase) - yes, the eyes are getting weaker,[:0] but I'm not that blind![xx(]
    I have double checked the serial number - they match and I have crawled around underneath him quite a bit - no sign of the frame being "extended".[?]

Other than the obvious - "there's an error on the Production Order", does anyone have a rational explanation as to what might have happened 50+ years ago? or maybe since then?
    Thanks

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

I wonder if the cab or data plate may have been transferred from another truck? While the chances are slim, I suppose there could have originally been a typo.

Comment

I wonder if the cab or data plate may have been transferred from another truck? While the chances are slim, I suppose there could have originally been a typo.

Comment

Is it possible that the SNM made a mistake when reproducing the production order? I haven't purchased one in years -- are they exact reproductions from a microfilm, or are they retyped?

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Is it possible that the SNM made a mistake when reproducing the production order? I haven't purchased one in years -- are they exact reproductions from a microfilm, or are they retyped?

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip,
            I have two production orders and I have seen a recent one. All I have seen are typed.
            Brian

Comment

Skip,
              I have two production orders and I have seen a recent one. All I have seen are typed.
              Brian

Comment

I actually got 2 copies, one a print of the microfilm, the other a retyped version. Both show the same info.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I actually got 2 copies, one a print of the microfilm, the other a retyped version. Both show the same info.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                  X