Avanti Brake Drums Rubbing After Bearing Repack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Avanti Brake Drums Rubbing After Bearing Repack

I removed the rear axles and repacked the rear bearings on my 63 Avanti. It has a single track and not a Twin Traction rear. I re-installed the same hubs on the axles and everything else as it came out including the same shims on the right side. Now, both rear drums rub the backing plates. Also, there is virtually ZERO end play on the left axle. The right axle end play feels normal. Not sure what went wrong.
    Last edited by Paul K.; 06-09-2013, 06:42 AM.

BUMP

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comment

Perhaps the cross pin of the spider gears has broken?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

HI Brad,

How would that have happened?

Comment

I don't know how, but both were broken on a twin traction unit I got recently.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948

Comment

Are you sure that it's an open rear; not a "TT"?
            Mike M.

Comment

If you got any type of lube on the tapered axle stub, or the inside of the hub, you may have split the hub when tightening the axle nut.
              They are supposed to go together absolutely clean and dry.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948

Comment

Its an open rear for sure. Brad, I hear you on the lube. I can't remember if I put anti-seize on or not. It was 4 years ago. I DO know that I hand torqued the nut and did not use an impact. Both sides have this issue. I think it would be unlikely for BOTH hubs to have cracked.

Comment

Well...I don't own an Avanti. I also have not spent a ton of time working on rear gears. Most of my vehicles have that little plug you remove...install a grease fitting, give it a shot or two of fresh grease, remove the grease fitting, re-install the plug, and forget about it until it crosses your mind a few years later (or not).

That said...it is obvious that either your drums have moved inward...or your backing plates have moved "outward." Any chance you had those backing plates off and reinstalled them with something out of place that would cause them to move out???

(I know...crazy thought)
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You're sure you are not hearing the brake linings scrape lightly against the drums? Maybe back the adjusters off to prove-disprove.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I really appreciate the suggestions from everybody. Thanks!

Its not the brake shoes. You can see where the drum is contacting the backing plate. It is also touching in more than one place which discounts the possibility of two bent axles. Regarding something installed out of place: There isn't much to it. There is a thin paper gasket between the axle flange and the backing plate, or shims on the right side to adjust the end play. BTW, from reading the shop manual it sounds like the shims on the right side provide adjustment for both sides? I mentioned earlier that the left side has NO end play. The right side feels normal. Just trying to get some ideas before taking it apart again to find nothing wrong.

Thanks again for the input!

Comment

Working...
                      X