Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Studebakers and looking for a Champ

Hello,
    Last week I was skimming through eBay for Jeeps (I'm a Jeep guy through and through) and found myself obsessing over a 1962 Studebaker Champ with a short box. It was one of those feelings where I wondered where this truck has been all my life. The lines, the simplicity, the iconic branding, the history, and that one of a kind unmistakable look drew me in. Jeeps are my passion for the reasons just stated and looking further into all things Studebaker a whole new world of possibilities has opened up to me. Why it has taken this long to catch and peak my interest I can not say but I envision a torrent of research consuming my discretionary Jeep time and money. For the last 5 days I have been convincing myself I must buy a Champ and restore it.
    This post, by and large, is to introduce myself and draw from this club's vast knowledge and expertise. I am an open book at this point, like a sponge soaking up Studebaker guidance.
    Last, I have merely dipped my toe in the Studebaker pool, but I am quite sure I am on the prowl for a 60s (any year) Champ short bed. Feel free to contact me with options, opinions, and insight.
    Best
    Evan
    Spokane WA

There are a few for sale in TWs this month.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by ChampDream View Post
      Hello,
      Last week I was skimming through eBay for Jeeps (I'm a Jeep guy through and through) and found myself obsessing over a 1962 Studebaker Champ with a short box. It was one of those feelings where I wondered where this truck has been all my life. The lines, the simplicity, the iconic branding, the history, and that one of a kind unmistakable look drew me in. Jeeps are my passion for the reasons just stated and looking further into all things Studebaker a whole new world of possibilities has opened up to me. Why it has taken this long to catch and peak my interest I can not say but I envision a torrent of research consuming my discretionary Jeep time and money. For the last 5 days I have been convincing myself I must buy a Champ and restore it.
      This post, by and large, is to introduce myself and draw from this club's vast knowledge and expertise. I am an open book at this point, like a sponge soaking up Studebaker guidance.
      Last, I have merely dipped my toe in the Studebaker pool, but I am quite sure I am on the prowl for a 60s (any year) Champ short bed. Feel free to contact me with options, opinions, and insight.
      Best
      Evan
      Spokane WA
      Oops I feel sorry for you, you've got a serious problem (disease) known to have affected all who come in contact with Studebaker's. First you look, then you buy one, until they absolutely consume you. I was afflicted when I was 17 years old (52 now)and have spread it to my girlfriend of 7 years, who now owns a Lark. One Studebaker is never enough and you will find that you will continue to look to own as many and you can handle. Most if not all on this forum have more than one Studebaker, they are like buying one gnome and then finding a whole family living in your garden under the bushes. BE CAREFUL and welcome to the Forum.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Welcome to the forum! TW is Turning Wheels, the monthly magazine published by the Studebaker Drivers Club. Membership in the SDC is a valuable resource as you explore Studebakerdom. You should not have too much trouble finding a suitable Champ pick-up. Good luck in your search, hope you will hang around to share your progress.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          There are a few for sale in TWs this month.
          TW- Turning Wheels is a monthly publication of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Free with your membership. You can look on-line for Champ trucks here in the classified ads in Turning Wheels.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Since your in WA state there is one advertised in Olympia WA ...its a 61 V8 4 spd for $3800 ph 360-357-8078
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As a Champ owner myself I must tell you they are a blast. I love mine. By today's standards they are not the most comfortable to ride in. They can sometimes be a bit persnickety. But they are fun to drive, get lots of admiring looks, can haul a load like it wasn't even there, and are easy to work on. Life is good! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0080.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1680220
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I too have a Champ truck. I love it! I wish I would have bought one sooner.... They are fun to drive, simple to work on, have decent power, and can haul a load if you need to. The downsides are a cramped cab and a choppy ride. That's about it. They do tend to rust pretty bad, so be on the lookout for that. Happy hunting!
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

buy the best one you can. I haven't owned one yet, bit i hear the 63 - 64 years have suspended pedals, which is a plus.
                    61 lark cruiser
                    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Let me add to the voices here - Welcome to the site! We're an ever-growing family here. Pull up a chair and feel free to dive into the conversations.

I'm a Jeep guy myself (had an '88 Wrangler for several years), I love my Studebaker infinitely more. Champs are an awesome little truck.

If you find one you like, feel free to let us know. There's usually someone from this forum close to wherever your prospective car is who can go take a peek at it, see if it has a good frame, etc. In the mean time, you should try to get plugged in with Stude owners in your area. I know of a couple Washington State members on this forum. I have no clue what chapter is closest to you, but someone here will likely chime in with that info.

Good luck on your hunt. When you find one, take a few pictures and post them here. We love finding a new one.
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Welcome Evan! as posted earlier, the '63 & '64 models had hanging foot pedals, as opposed to going through the floor and the brake master cyl under the floor. I believe the same years had full-flow engine oil filters. You might look to see if it has a sliding rear window, this was a very popular factory option. Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

Hi Evan, welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum! You WILL enjoy it here.
                          You can join us and receive the Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" easily one of the best or THE best Club Mag out there. There is a link for a first year discount at the top of these pages.

Champs are great rugged, dependable Trucks, always over built for their weight rating. You will find the options that you like and dislike on the various years and models with some research here, in Turning Wheels, at the Studebaker National Museum and their Website and others.

I am here to help, also in Washington, for any New Parts and some used, parts needs at Studebakers Northwest, Rich.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Join the SDC, it'll really help. TW is awesome. Have you seen a lark yet? Certain years the front clips are interchangable, if your feeling a little custom. This search should be pretty easy, trucks seem to come up often and are usually pretty cheap.

Comment

Current Turning Wheels ads include a '64 3/4 ton in Dayton, not that far from you. Lists two phone #s 876-1795 evenings, 382-8925, your area code.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...