Studebakers at the top of Pike's Peak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers at the top of Pike's Peak

2013 International Meet Chairman Chuck Donkle drove to the top of Pike's Peak yesterday to show you it can be done in a Studebaker. Note in the attachments the snow behind his Studebaker in one of the pictures. The annual Pike's Peak Hill climb is scheduled for June 30, the start of the International Meet in Colorado Springs. Chuck informed me he Lark will NOT be competing in the race! It wasn't because he didn't think he could win his class, but because they don't allow taxis to compete!
    If you haven't Registered for the meet yet, this weekend is a good time to do so. Chuck and his committee have been working hard for nearly 2 years to give us club members one of the best International Meets yet! For many of you, this will mark a 40th year return to Colorado Springs for an SDC Meet. Don't miss it. Register now! Denny Foust for the International Meet Committee
    Attached Files

just for giggles...how amny Studes make it up to the top ?? I'm guessing 25%...

Comment

Chuck did good!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        just for giggles...how amny Studes make it up to the top ?? I'm guessing 25%...
        I'm sure there's not just one answer to this, but what would one have to do to make sure their Studebaker makes it to the top of Pike's Peak? That is assuming that the car runs and drives fine, at near sea level.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Green Daytona View Post
          I'm sure there's not just one answer to this, but what would one have to do to make sure their Studebaker makes it to the top of Pike's Peak? That is assuming that the car runs and drives fine, at near sea level.

Todd
          I would say having it in a good state of tune should get a decent running car to the top, some faster/easier than others. Also a concern would be good brakes for the trip back down!
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Drove my 3R11 to the top on our way to Glendale Az. for the N/M. Wife got very sick up there in that alutitude. Didn't even take a picture. Let your body adjust to the area be for going up.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              Drove my 3R11 to the top on our way to Glendale Az. for the N/M. Wife got very sick up there in that alutitude. Didn't even take a picture. Let your body adjust to the area be for going up.
              That's why I decided to play it safe and take the cog railroad to the top instead of trying to drive. My car might have made it, but I am not so sure about myself.

Todd

Comment

Had hoped to take the 46 Stude PU to the top this year. But plans have changed somewhat and we will be towing Miss Piggy to Colorado and beyond with Sandi's new Hyundai Santa Fe. Still hope to go to the top with Miss Piggy in tow!Good Roads Brian & Sandi
                Last edited by woodysrods; 06-16-2013, 11:32 AM.
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

When we were at the meet in 1973 Dr Elsner drove his 1932 President sedan to the top.

Denny L

Comment

Chuck suggested Octane boost....

Comment

I'm looking forward to taking my 76 Avanti II to the top.
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

In 1965 I was there and attempted driving my (foreign) car up there. I stopped at the 11,000 foot level to check the coolant (since the car didn't have a temp guage!) All was well in that dept but, when I tried to leave the left front (FWD) "U-joint" broke into about three pieces. I was in the process of removing the left axle and attempt to drive it back down that way but, the Mountain Patrol came along and spoiled my plans. (I would've found out right away if the lower gear ratio's would of transferred to the right front wheel -- & if not, I would have pulled over right away. As it was, a tow truck came up and hauled me down to the Springs and a repair shop that DID have the proper part. While my car was being repaired, I rented a Dodge Dart and drove that to the top & back down on a gorgeous day!
                        JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Trish, Octane boost really doesn't help since the higher elevation has less oxygen to burn it. Also with less pressure most of the time a lower octane is able to be used since there's essentially a lower compression in the cylinders (reducing the problems of per-ignition or 'knock').

I'm sure there are long threads and discussions about this online but I just thought I'd throw that out there to those coming up from the sea.

Comment

BTW, Going to the summit and back down again today, I saw several Studes. A green pre -49 stake bed truck from KS made it to the top. Great job!!! My 76 was in the shop so it did not make the trip, but our 07 Odyssey made it in style up to the top at the 14,110 ft elevation. Nice job for all the Studes showing others how its done!
                            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Paul,
                              The traffic before the gate caused a lot of issues with most of us. I pulled off and popped the hood to let her cool. While waiting, I watched all the traffic and decided not to even bother. I live close enough that I can plan a trip another time. It was disappointing though.
                              Carey
                              Packard Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X