AC/heat for 59 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: AC/heat for 59 lark

I am wanting to add an AC unit to my 59 Lark but am worried about the size of the units that are out there. I made a cardboard mock up of the evaporator box and I just don't think it will fit. I would like to hear from someone who has put aftermarket AC in their Lark including what brand they went with. Pictures would be fantastic! Thanks!

Have you checked with Vintage Air?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I have a complete (contemporary) aftermarket A/C unit that I pulled from a 60 Lark in a junkyard 20 or so years ago. Obviously it fit fine, but I cannot vouch for which components would work properly. As I recall, the evaporator box should fit fine and was similar in design to the one that Stude used at the time. It's stored away, so I really can't remember if I had to cut the hoses or was able to disconnect them. If you have any interest, I'll dig it out and see what it looks like. You can have it for what I paid for it ($100), but shipping would be a bear.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Is the car a six or eight cylinder? If a six, putting AC on it is not very practical, as the little motor needs every ounce of strength it has in order to propel the car. If its an eight, no problem.
        If you are thinking about a new kit, I'd get the Stude V8 compressor mount & pulleys from Summit. They have them for cars with & without power steering. For the evaporator, I'd get a retro unit that hangs under the dash as they did in the 1950s-60s. Also, be sure to get a unit that includes both heater and cooler elements. They are more than adequate for heating & cooling a Lark; you would not even need the OEM heater then. The evaporator can be had from Yogi's for around $300, and the mount set-up from Summit for around $300. A hose kit with drier for around $100, and a compressor for around $250 can both be found on ebay, usually with free shipping. So, the entire setup will cost you around $1000, and will provide true "climate control" in your Lark.

Comment

"If a six, putting AC on it is not very practical,"
          Yes, this is the prevailing thinking. However, read on.
          I also have a Model A Ford, which is a 4-cyl car made 1928-1931.
          Ken Davis (from Texas) has designed an AC system for these 4-bangers which works well and the engine barely notices the compressor when it is on. These modern Sanden compressors are amazing. I have already installed his kit on 2 other cars. He has supplied kits to hundreds of Model A owners all over the US and beyond.
          One of the tricks is to install the compressor on the LEFT side of the engine (YOUR right side as you look under the hood). Used on this side, there is less drain on the engine. I do not understand why this is but it is real and he discovered this by accident, and I have seen this with my own eyes. Nearly everyone in the Dallas Model A Club, the largest Model A club in the country, has one of his kits.
          Now, he does not have kits for Studes. But maybe Vintage Air or Old Air does. Or adapt one of his kits as you see fit. The components are high quality.

He cannot provide technical support for a non-Model A vehicle, so you need to know what you are doing or have a friend that does. His hoses and compressor bracket will not be right for your non-Model A vehicle. But all the rest of the components will be. He is a former winner of the Great Race so that should tell you the guy really knows his stuff.

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM.
          1947 M5 under restoration
          a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

I alway have trouble working out left from right when people write it down. "install the compressor on the LEFT side of the engine (right side as you look under the hood)." The cars left or right, my left or right? Easier for me to understand passenger side or drivers side and if necessary note left hand or right hand drive. As you wrote I say to myself "right side as I look under the hood"? My right or the cars?

Comment

I remember your Lark is an 8 cylinder car, so AC should not be a problem. Check with vintage air Chris, they have a nice period looking under dash box type universal evaporator. They also sell the compressor bracket. Alternatively check with Bob Helm, he advertises his AC systems in Turning Wheels.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Skybolt, I added a word.
                Properly used, the terms left and right refer to the car's left and right as you face forward. Problem is not everyone knows this
                1947 M5 under restoration
                a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to find a unit that will be completely hidden behind the dash with only small vents mounted under the dash. I measured the area where the box will go and it is going to be really tight. When I talked to the people at vintage air they recommended to only use the mini unit they sell on small cars. I think of the lark as small but they thought it may not cool it. Any thoughts?

Comment

They told me the same thing when I was looking to buy their unit for my '41 Champion two door street rod. They talked me into using their largest heat/cool/defrost unit. I do not think they understood my car was not really that big. Anyway after a lot of work I managed to get it all stuffed under the dash without anything showing, but it wasn't easy. Since the wiper motor was inside the car under the dash I had to dispense with it as well as the radio.
                    Originally posted by dochaag View Post
                    Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to find a unit that will be completely hidden behind the dash with only small vents mounted under the dash. I measured the area where the box will go and it is going to be really tight. When I talked to the people at vintage air they recommended to only use the mini unit they sell on small cars. I think of the lark as small but they thought it may not cool it. Any thoughts?
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I am going to order their unit mock up. That way I can see the challenges before i totally commit! They charge around $70 for it and credit it toward your purchase when you buy the system. BTW Frank what is the starter that I need when using the transmission adaptor? I can't find the paper on it!

Comment

Suggestion from Waydon

I am wanting to add an AC unit to my 59 Lark but am worried about the size of the units that are out there. I made a cardboard mock up of the evaporator box and I just don't think it will fit. I would like to hear from someone who has put aftermarket AC in their Lark including what brand they went with. Pictures would be fantastic! Thanks!
                        I installed after market A/C in our 63 Lark and I used an A/C kit from Southern Rods.com It is quite a bit less expensive than the Vintage Air kit, so check them out. Do a waydon search or Air Conditioning search in the technical forum as Quite some time ago I posted a complete write up about the installation....Hope this helps

Comment

Doc
                          That sounds like a smart way to approach the problem. The starter part number is O'Reilly Auto Parts Ultimate # 03-0386. Application should be 88-92 Ford 2.6 and 2.8 V-6 2 bolt starter.

I am going to order their unit mock up. That way I can see the challenges before i totally commit! They charge around $70 for it and credit it toward your purchase when you buy the system. BTW Frank what is the starter that I need when using the transmission adaptor? I can't find the paper on it!
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Waydon View Post
                            I installed after market A/C in our 63 Lark and I used an A/C kit from Southern Rods.com It is quite a bit less expensive than the Vintage Air kit, so check them out. Do a waydon search or Air Conditioning search in the technical forum as Quite some time ago I posted a complete write up about the installation....Hope this helps
                            Waydon

I have no experience with Southern Rods Air but have purchased a number of other parts from them with good results. If one Googles Southern air you'll find a fair number of naysayers about their system.

You sound as if you have the system, in use, and the knowledge to comment on them. Would you give an opinion on your system as they are a low cost supplier and could save some folks $'s if their offerings are decent.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Thanks for the part number Frank! I will check out Southern Rods! Thanks!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X