Avanti window relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Avanti window relay

Ugh.. when I rewired my '63, I discovered the previous owner had wired the window motors directly to a 12v source with no fuse. I'm no Einstein, but it was a safe bet the motors were melted because of that. But because I'm no Einstein, I rewired the car with an in-line 30a fuse.

It's blowing on a regular basis and I know I need to get a relay and do it right. I've found a few schematic diagrams for our particular set-up, but - again referring to that Einstein thing - I glaze over, studying them and just don't get it.

For one thing, what is up with numbers on a relay? Do they signify anything or are they arbitrary?
    Could I use one relay for both window motors, since they draw from the same source, or better to get one for each side?
    And What kind should I get? Would the little black, square boxes 'The Shack' sells be okay?

I just don't want to smoke these motors, at $200 a pop... or burn my car up! Thanks!

I see the window relays on Ebay from time to time. As a side note the original Avanti schematic does not include info on the electric windows. Much info is on Bob's Studebaker Resource Web site. Also, originally the windows only operated in the on side of the ignition switch. I would recommend rewiring to include operation from the accesory side of the switch as well. If you are working on the windows with the switch in the on possition and the engine is not running you may dammage the ignition system by burning points or frying an electronic ignition upgrade.

Comment

The original motors used 10 gauge wiring and did draw a lot of current. They had a large circuit breaker (20 amp?) in the supply source. If you have the motors out, disassemble the gear head and clean and relubricate it. Any resistance to rotation can cause a larger current draw than necessary.. Also clean and lube the rollers in the window regulator. Everything helps
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
      X