Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this Studebaker'57 Hawk

Gentlemen-
    I need some thoughts/ inputs. A friend is looking to purchase a Studebaker and she is new to older cars and Studebakers. I have experience in old Toyota LandCruisers so I offered my input for classic car purchases. I know very little about these awesome cars. She is looking at this Hawk:

Certain things jump right out at me. No pictures of the engine, and it's listed as a 4 cyl. What else do we need to know about this? Questions we should ask. I was going to get a compression test and mech review before purchase. Is this a good way to start?

Tell your freind it's not a Hawk, it's a 57 Champion and it should have a 6 cyl. in it. Sorry I don't any values for it, however I'm sure others will have some input for you.
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Comment

At the asking price they have posted for this car, you should be looking for a very nice condition Champion of the same vintage. Those cars do not generally bring big money, even when restored. At $4000 look into some of the other models Studebaker has to offer. Women are often drawn to the Lark models as well. 4K would buy a very nice Lark 4 door.
      To add my 2 cents to the purchase... get the small V8, not the 6. Very close to the same gas mileage and a heck of a lot more power for todays driving.
      sals54

Comment

I agree. For that kind of money, I would expect good servicable upholstery. Of course, a dealer usually asks every dime they imagine a car could bring. I also wonder about the title since they call it a Hawk.
        Worth a look IF you seriously want that particular car, but I would inspect it carefully and offer less money. A V-8 would be better if you can find one you like. The six can still work if you don't expect modern performance.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Questions?
          Can the mileage be verified?
          Exactly what engine does it have (not likely a 4 cylinder since Studebaker stopped making those in the "teens")?
          Does it run, shift, and stop?
          Are there rust issues? Where?
          Is there a maintenance paper trail?

All else being okay (the exterior looks pretty straight and the chrome and stainless look very good) what will it cost to restore the interior? My guess you're looking at a couple grand, at least. Add that into the cost to bring it up to driver condition.
          If you can get it for less money and everything else checks out (have that mechanic look at it), it might actually be a nice starter car for the new collector.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

This car has also been listed as a 1957 Avanti. It started out as a Champion and they wanted 4,995.00. Since I am in Houston, I think I go look at it just to see what motor is in the car and how much mud in the body. To bad its not an AC car.

Comment

Good replies all! I think I'm going to recommend to pass. She likes the look of this '66 cruiser. This one looks pretty solid: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3760703828.html
              Is this the smaller or larger v8 option? She wants to use it as a DD. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonStude View Post
                Good replies all! I think I'm going to recommend to pass. She likes the look of this '66 cruiser. This one looks pretty solid: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3760703828.html
                This car has a Chevy 283 in it. Thats the motors used by Studebaker in 1966. Easy to work on and engine parts can be bought anywear. Much better choice over the other car. Also, the guy was asking $4,500 and went up tp $5,000. So keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
                  This car has a Chevy 283 in it. Thats the motors used by Studebaker in 1966. Easy to work on and engine parts can be bought anywear. Much better choice over the other car. Also, the guy was asking $4,500 and went up tp $5,000. So keep that in mind.
                  Okay, good point.. Why would someone raise a price but still have OBO? That is strange, I see you are local to Houston, do you have experience with this seller or shop?

Comment

I first noticed this Cruiser back when it was listed at $4500 (before the increase to $5K). Pics of the dash seemed strange to me. Color looked off in the shot thru the pass side door. Almost looked like maybe it had been dyed to try to match the rest of the interior, but the shade looks off slightly and it's dull instead of any sort of shine.
                    Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
                    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                    \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

The 66 is a Hamilton built car. I'm not familiar with that colour, either, but I had a 69 Chev that looked like the same colour and the same interior colour. Probably at least one repaint. I like 283s. Would be a fairly nice driver. Good luck.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Well if she wants a Hawk in around the same shape http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/3822734684.html Fresh motor but not quite there yet, could be a nice driver with minimal work. I think that both those cars are overpriced. Maybe you should let some of us throw some Ideas your guys way. I'm pretty good at this stuff. The Chevy is easy to work on, easy to find parts find for I personally like stude powered studebakers, still easy to find parts for, although not quite as easy, still pretty easy to work on from what I've heard, and they sound sweeter than almost any motor in the world. For the kind of car shes looking at I would go with a 59-64 lark especially the 62/63 cars.It would get decent mileage for an old car, and get alot of attenion. Lots people daily there larks upo here among other studes. You know if she's very computer savvy she should make an account herself and talk to us about this stuff. We're a pretty nice bunch
                        Last edited by GThawkwind; 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I'm open to suggestions! I'm trying to get her to focus on the reliability of the DD aspect rather than straight purchase price. I'll pass her the password to this account and let her post up. You guys are very friendly and helpful!

Comment

[Since you know about older vehicles It seems to me that you are qualified to offer unbiased input. Definitely. oh yea. Heck, it ain't like it's your money. I'ts not even a Hawk. What have you got to loose? So if she buys it and likes it, you'll end up being a hero. You know the old saying. "what goes round comes round"
                            Hope this helps. jimmijim *&^%^&**U&^%$ QUOTE=HoustonStude;746747]Gentlemen-
                            I need some thoughts/ inputs. A friend is looking to purchase a Studebaker and she is new to older cars and Studebakers. I have experience in old Toyota LandCruisers so I offered my input for classic car purchases. I know very little about these awesome cars. She is looking at this Hawk:

Certain things jump right out at me. No pictures of the engine, and it's listed as a 4 cyl. What else do we need to know about this? Questions we should ask. I was going to get a compression test and mech review before purchase. Is this a good way to start?[/QUOTE]
                            Last edited by jimmijim8; 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM.
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Okay, good point.. Why would someone raise a price but still have OBO? That is strange, I see you are local to Houston, do you have experience with this seller or shop?
                              Sorry I do not know the seller, but TXRebel might. He seems to know local cars here in town. What about it Barry, do you know this car?

Comment

Working...
                              X