Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Significant recognition for Studebaker on TV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant recognition for Studebaker on TV.

There was a broadcast of a brand new (2013) "Ultimate WWII Weapons" documentary on the History Channel, H2, last night. They were counting down the "top ten game-changers in WWII". An entire segment of the show was on the Stude 6X6, exclusively, and the "lend-lease" program - lots of details. The Stude truck came in ranking #9 in the 10 most important factors of the war! They said many great things about the trucks! Watch for repeats of the show!!

--Paul

I can see where they're coming from. Most of the Studes went to the USSR, which didn't have many truck od its own, and they tied up a lot of Germans, making the western front a whole lot easier for the US and UK forces...but I'm sure the GMC truck fans might have a different opinion. After all, they gave the US forces its mobility.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

All the trucks were important regardless of manufacturer. The Studebaker built trucks just happened to be one of the toughest in that size range. My dad's favorite truck in Europe was an International tractor that pulled huge flatbed trailers loaded with all sorts of supplies. Most war films don't show much of the bigger trucks.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'd like to know who made the decision as to what brand of trucks went where. Did Russia say "We want Studebakers!" or what? The argument could be made that the Studes were evaluated as the toughest or easiest to maintain - factors that might have been considered against what most certainly would've been alot more challenging "roads" and environment than Europe, the USA and the Pacific theater. Of course - it could have been entirely political. Look at the crap going on with our military suppliers today. The F35 is a good example - stratospheric cost overruns, and in the pockets of so many legislators that there's NO way the project can be ditched.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob -- the toughness argument sounds good to me, though both the Stude and the GMC used the same drivetrain. In the history of Stude trucks on the main SDC website, I said that the decision was largely logistical, and was intended to simplify parts inventories -- provide only one type of truck to each user. I got that fact from one of the articles written years ago by either Clell Ballard or Fred Fox (can't remember which). If that is true, it could easily have been done with a coin flip. It's worth noting that the Army Corps of Engineers got the Stude US6, not the GMC CCKW.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

The episode is available on Amazon.com if you missed it. I looked online at the HC schedule and do not see it scheduled again anytime in the near future.

Comment

Working...
            X