Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Molasses-not just for cookies. How about as a RUST REMOVAL agent??!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molasses-not just for cookies. How about as a RUST REMOVAL agent??!!??

As we all deal with dinosaur cars that become afflicted with R-U-S-T, this post from a Mopar Board shows a home chemistry solution for removing decades of rust that was really DiFfErEnT. I guess if you have time, this process works! And it is CHEAP too. The guy uses MOLASSES mixed with water to remove rust! The photos tell the story!

Something to think about if you don't own, or know, a media blaster or chemical stripper. Speaking of chemical strippers, this process seems to work like one, but without the harmful chemicals! But I don't think you can make molasses cookies with this mix when you're done stripping some manifolds! LOL
    Frank Remlinger
    Detroit, Michigan
    SDC# A004602R

Hi Frank!

Yes, that has been discussed many times here. Just enter 'molasses' in the search box and you will see many threads about it, along with beet juice and electrolysis. I personally have not tried any of them yet.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That is very interesting and appealing to the CASO in me. I am a member of that forum and never saw this. Thanks for sharing.
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Very interesting, maybe the feuding chemists from the price of paint thread could explain how it works.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I have a very good Mate who runs a Radiator Repair shop . He also does Air Conditioning ,
          Heater cores and gas tanks . He swears by the use of his Molasses Tanks particularly for
          totally cleaning out Gas Tanks . It is cheap and it works . The tanks are submerged over
          a couple of weeks and then completely washed out . Once the Tanks are dry , he uses a
          product called 'Red Cote' to seal the inner Tank surface and paints the outside of the Tank
          to the Customers specifications . Never had a failure since this proceedure was put in place.

CRUISER

Comment

I use home made sorghum molasses as dressing on the flat belts that run my wheat thresher and peanut picker. They have the right amount of "tack" to keep the belts from slipping or walking off the pulleys.

Comment

For some reason i could`nt get the words " peanut picker " off my mind today - - - - - - help .

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                For some reason i could`nt get the words " peanut picker " off my mind today - - - - - - help .
                Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker Peanut picker. Am I helping?

Comment

Ok, I won't argue any more. The link says it all if you go to it, how it works, etc....
                  It is safe (the link).
                  And yes, it is really cool and just one way to clear away the rust I guess. I had never heard of this before until I just read it a little bit ago.. I wanted to read about it first. I have nothing to comment on besides "it is new to me"....

I am very fortunate to have other methods readily available.... but I won't deny... this intriigues me much!

Comment

"Very interesting, maybe the feuding chemists from the price of paint thread could explain how it works."

Now that's FUNNY!

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                      For those that have not seen one, this is my Turner peanut picker. The peanut vines go in the front and the stripped peanuts drop out of the back.

Here is a short video my daughter made of it running:

Comment

Nice to see a fellow FABO member here spreading the great info. Might have to try out the molasses parts cleaning.

Comment

Guido. So which end does the salted nut roll come out of. I want to be on that side.

Comment

WOW... A "Peanut Picker", I like it. I have a plastic "Kitty Litter" pail about half full of the Molasses mixture (1 part molasses to 8 parts water) in the shop & will throw parts in there, let them sit for about a week & then rinse, wire brush, and check. Sometimes that is good enough, other times I put them back in for another week. It does have a strange smell & is a bit foamy... BUT IT WORKS & IS CHEAP! This is for general surface rust as really bad pit rust still remains a problem though.

Comment

Working...
                            X