My favorite time of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite time of the year

Car season is definitely my favorite time of the year. For the first time in a great while, I had a Thursday night off. So I gathered up my lovely wife and my son, and we took the Lark to a classic car show and shine that goes on every Thursday in Ralston. We parked the car and before I could get out there were already three guys huddling around it. Apparently Studebakers don't make it to the show very often, so it was a special treat to these gentlemen.

One guy in the flock told me a story about the '62 Lark he learned to drive on, with a clutch so hard it nearly broke his foot. He was excited to see one that reminded him of his old car, and we started talking about how reliable Stude engines were. He wanted to see what I had, so I did something I never ever do at these things: I popped the hood and showed him. Despite my dirty-as-sin engine bay, he thought it was the coolest motor in the lot. (Indeed it was. Aside from a few Fords, just about every other motor that would be there was a "belly button" SBC. Most of them even had the same "racing" valve covers you can get at the auto part store on the shelf.)

After chatting with these guys a little, we realized we were famished. The lot was only just starting to gather cars, so we decided to head to the pasta place next to the show lot. Afterwards, I happened to hear a couple other guys talking as I was returning to the lot. The first guy had been there a while, and was telling the new guy who just showed up what to see. In his must see line-up, I heard him say "and you should check out the red and black Studebaker in the back row. It's pretty cool". There was another small herd of people looking at the car as I got back to it. I talked a little about the car, suggested this website, and went to see what else was there.

As fate had it, I bumped into a guy there with an old Dodge convertible who was looking to sell it off and buy a C/K without a drivetrain. I took his number and told him I'd keep an eye out. Then on the way home, at two different stoplights people asked me what kind of car I had.

I think the point of this story is that if you're not out there driving your Studebaker around, you're missing out. To me, this is the most fun of my life. It's not that I'm some egotistical attention-seeker, or that I think I own some fantastic show car. On the contrary, I usually call my car "the 24-footer", because "the 20-footer" is way too close. But whether your Studebaker is a 5 or a 2, it belongs out there, in the open air. (If it's a 6, you should probably get it running first.) There's something magic about bringing a Studebaker out. People notice, and you'd be surprised how many Studebaker fans are out there. We can talk about the cars all day, but the key to getting people interested is to get out there and drive them. So go out, hit the road, and have some fun!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Originally posted by JimC View Post
    I think the point of this story is that if you're not out there driving your Studebaker around, you're missing out.
    Amen! There are shows almost every weekend (sometimes two or three) and I don't know what I did before having my "toy" cars. I do my chores during the week so my weekend is free, and the wife is happy to have me out of the house. I get out in the fresh air, meet people, hear stories, see neat cars, it's a "win-win".
    It's not about showing off or acting like a big shot, it's about sharing what you're lucky enough to have. Luckily, I have to cars that people don't usually see. Having them has introduced me to a range of great people, fellow owners, and the great folks that help keep the cars on the road. Besides, most shows are charity events and I don't mind the donations to help out.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It makes you feel good doesn't it? I have the same thing happen at a local cruise-in here. Gotta love it.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Agree with all of you! My wife has health issues that make our world a little small. During the winter cabin fever sets in and now after two cruise-ins and hopefully a parade in N. Stonington on Memorial Day my morale is rapidly improving. At the Ocean Beach cruise-in last week our Studebaker was the only one in attendance and received a lot of attention. A tubbed hotrod present with a Studebaker engine should raise the count to two! The owner said he loved Studebakers and engines made in South Bend! Another fiberglass bodied car that was very popular was a gorgeous seafoam green Kaiser-Darrin with leather to match.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
        X