Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts of another time another place with a Studebaker connection.......and honesty ruled........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts of another time another place with a Studebaker connection.......and honesty ruled........

Return with us now to a better time, a more honest time, when men were men, hand shakes were "gold" and keys were for honest people.

Our Wells-ian time machine, complete with Corinthian leather seating (thank you Ricardo Montiban) leaves us off in the year 1968......... the place greater Miami, Florida. We step outside and find ourselves on the property of Richard H. Dahl.......his business.........Trojan Service Center.............Mr. Dahl having purchased the entire assets of the former Studebaker Miami on NW 2nd Ave, now operating an independent shop repairing brand X and Studebaker....there is something very unique to this business.........there are no doors..........the property is surrounded by a chain link fence.....once opened access to the entire property is possible, with its office and cash drawer.

Mr. Dahl once had a partner, but now a sole owner.........every day twice per day, Mr. Dahl gets in one the Studebaker's on the property and drives to the local Burger King establishment for his breakfast and later lunch. Now you say so what? Well, consider this.........in all the yrs Dahl operated this shop (1965-1978-9) he followed the aforementioned routine..........but.........he never ever closed up the place, never felt threatened that someone would steal money or damage cars while he drove to and from the Burger King..........during my four yrs in college there, every time I brought my car in for service Dick would just leave the place and go get his meals............not one time, did any theft uccur........no vandalism.

I only relate this story because the trust we all had, the faith we all seemed to take for granted..............gone with the 25 cent gallon of gas:-(...............and in its place............well I will let you determine how you see our present society and how we as a people relate to each other.

I am happy to be the age I am, and to wax emotional of days and times past.

Hawklover, that is a totally foreign concept to most people unfortunately, BUT - - - over here there are several of us who eat lunch together and the two guys with mechanic shops, the construction guy, and just about all houses are left open. It is such a wonderful feeling to be in a place where there is no fear of things getting carried off. One of our bunch lives in a house with no doors or conventional windows at all, on the oceanfront, and has never had anything bothered either. Glad you got to experience those times, like you, I thought they were gone forever till we moved here. Some businesses even just put up a sign when they will open the next morning with nothing locked and in some instances, nothing to lock ! There will be as many cars with tops or windows down and keys in them as not at the local parking spots, especially the surf areas. Good feeling, and paradise in many different ways.

Comment

I guess it depended back then on where you lived as well. I can remember a sunny summer morning, walking out my front door to my car parked at the curb out front and watching some guy running down the street with the new stereo out of it held up over his head in triumph. The year was 1966. The place was Reseda in Southern California, just outside of Los Angeles. It was the first time anything had ever been stolen from me and I was devastated. Innocence lost.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

My son, Grandson,and I recently made a trip to Florida from South Ga. to get some Studebaker parts. On the way home,traveling through the Okefenokee Swamp, I noticed some home made signs advertizing fresh honey for sale. 2 miles ahead, 1 mile ahead, 1/2 mile ahead, HERE IT IS!
        I eat a lot of honey so decided to stop and buy some fresh swamp honey. We pulled up to an old cabin made of rough sawn boards, never painted. Under the porch roof, there was no floor,was a rough, hand bulit table full of jars of honey.No one was around but there was a pricelist hanging on the wall with a large jar under it. A sign said "Take what you want,Leave money in the jar" I did.
        There was also a notebook where you could sign in and leave comments if you wanted too.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Rockin,
          Tears came to my eyes reading this...........I guess there is still a place where honesty rules, and Gods laws seem to be in play.
          More of these stories need to be told..........as a society we can not allow ourselves to drop to the point of nadir and say its ok.
          Thanks for this story.............I experienced similar events in So Florida in the 50's & 60's.

Comment

In spite of all you read about the bad in the world, my boys and I grew sweet corn for a couple of years and left a tractor parked near the road with a money box and corn on the rack on the back of the tractor. We left a price list and the amount of theft we had was so small I never bothered to calculate it. There might not have been any on many days.
            A few years ago, we worked with a family that was involved with helping children in difficult home situations. The topic of locking our hose came up and he said if anyone locked his door we would be screwed as he have no idea where the keys are. One of the perks of living in the country. I live in eastern Ontario.
            Neil

Comment

Working...
            X