No announcement yet.

How's about these for a Lark seat swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: How's about these for a Lark seat swap?

I'm on the cusp of picking up a nice '60 Lark four door. Its original bench is serviceable but worn. That said, I like the look and safety of Scat Procar seats with head rests. Trying to find Hawk seats with head rests seems to be rather a hunt, and I'm not a major stickler for originality with a car that's going to be an around-town, fair-weather driver. Scat has two seats that don't look like they'd be out of place in a Lark: The Procar 90 and the Classic. Both are available in black, beige, red, white and gray.

Scat has custom adapters for a lot of popular models (Camaros, Mustangs and things of their common ilk). For us "different by design" folks, they have what they call universal adapters. Any thoughts on how you think these might fit (aesthetically and technically)? The one criticism of heard of this line is that the seat tends to sit a touch high. That could be problematic for me as I'm 6'4". Note: the black box that is next to each seat picture is line drawing of the dimensions. If you click on these black boxes, you will see the dimensional image. Looking forward to your input!

The Pro 90 1300 series:

Pro-90® - Bare seat sold by Procar by SCAT. Procar by SCAT, located in Redondo Beach, CA, offers custom seating solutions.

[IMG]http://thumbnails105.********.com/25589/5e86d9255889419.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails104.********.com/25590/635b29255891392.jpg[/IMG]

and the Classic series:

The Procar Classic™ seat sold by Procar by SCAT! This is the perfect solution for muscle maniacs who want a classic stock look.

[IMG]http://thumbnails106.********.com/25589/e2f292255889599.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails108.********.com/25590/7a189d255890087.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I like the Pro 90 better. The classic looks too much like it came out of a Mustang.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The best bucket seats that have ever graced my tush are the ones in my 99 Honda Accord. Wouldn't junk yard seats be a lot cheaper?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        ... Wouldn't junk yard seats be a lot cheaper?
        That depends...If you drive up to the junk yard dressed by the GAP, riding in the latest preppy SUV, clean fingernails, clean shaved, wearing a college ring...Junk yard seats could cost you more than $500 each.

However, if you show up in a three hundred thousand mile beater, no hubcaps, skinned knuckles, coveralls, and a tattered plaid shirt...'bout 25 or thirty bucks!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'd vote for the Pro 90 1300 series also. For the reasons stated (look like Mustang seats), AND they gave an appropriate width for the Lark. I found this out when I swapped seats in my '64 Daytona. Your standard overseas car seats are typically very narrow. The end result is a look like having studio apartment furniture in a large home.

That said I found some seats from a late 90's Maxima that work rather well. BTW, these seats were $16 each at a Pick your Part 50% off sale. Lack of carpet, torn windlace etc. don't help the appearance, they actually are decent - appropriately and wide.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	seats.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1680077
          I'd recommend positioning the seats for fit rather than measuring from a given point. The steering column is actually angled (a string line will point towards the rear tail light). Setting the seats square to the car made for an awkward driving position, especially the gas pedal. When I angled the seats inwards the positioning was significantly more comfortable. When you have a bench seat you just assume a comfortable position and probably never take note that you potentially are angling your body. However, with a bucket type seat the form fit very much dictates how you sit. And if the seat isn't position favorably to you you will fight that built in form.

Tom
          Last edited by wittsend; 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Good stuff to know! thanks, Tom!

Comment

I put a set of the top (Pro 90) in my hot rod Conestoga. Mostly because they "appear" to be early, 70's looking seats. No head rest.
              They are fairly comfortable, not uncomfortable at all.

Then while pondering seats (for a "few" weeks) for my daily driver Conestoga...I ended up buying the same seat only with the head rest for that car, and in black instead of grey.

They are solid and look easilly recoverable. Just beware...while the seats are a good price (I got mine from Speedway), the brackets may shock you. I made my own seat mounts.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X