Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentina to Alaska trip in 28 Graham-Paige

Has anyone heard of this couple? Here's their site:

They are currently at our State Fair... got to meet and talk to them- very interestng and personable! Be sure to look at the map that shows their path from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska[:0]

Very cool car; they added the pop-up top, which when I stuck my head in there appeared to be about 4 feet high! Candy said when they planned the trip she was skeptical abou the car's durability, but it hasn't given then "any trouble a'tall"

The Zapps are very friendly; and are the ultimate adventurers!!

As I told them: I can't decide if they're living life to the fullest as we all should, or if they're just insane! They laughed and said they couldn't tell either... probably some of each

Next up- Putting the car on a boat to India to do the same thing through Asia

Anyway- interesting story, and cool people to meet[^]

Here's the story in our local paper:

OK- so who's gonna outdo them in a Stude? I nominate Gord[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Yep, I'll second the insane theory. [)]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Yep, I'll second the insane theory. [)]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

I saw this car traveling north on U.S. 17 between Pawleys Island and Merrils Inlet, South Carolina. I was visiting my daughter and her family and she and I watched in amazement as it went by. After we pulled onto the highway we passed it about a mile down the road. Loaded to the gills it was cruising steadily down the highway at about 50 miles per hour.
        And now I "know the rest of the story....."
        Joe Roberts
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I saw this car traveling north on U.S. 17 between Pawleys Island and Merrils Inlet, South Carolina. I was visiting my daughter and her family and she and I watched in amazement as it went by. After we pulled onto the highway we passed it about a mile down the road. Loaded to the gills it was cruising steadily down the highway at about 50 miles per hour.
          And now I "know the rest of the story....."
          Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

They have been on that trip for 5 years, and they bum you blind if they get a chance. They was in the Piedmont section of North Carolina 5 years ago and the woman had a baby in the Greensboro Hospital. The baby is now 5 years old and is still on the trip with them. I won't get into that as maybe they will properly educate the little tyke. They frequent cruise in's and car shows and hawk a book that they have written about the trip. They showed up at the High Point cruise in a couple of weeks ago, and was given a less than happy welcome. They have picked up two more bums driving Graham vehicles. If they find a friendly place, you can expect them to stay until they wear out their welcome.

Comment

They have been on that trip for 5 years, and they bum you blind if they get a chance. They was in the Piedmont section of North Carolina 5 years ago and the woman had a baby in the Greensboro Hospital. The baby is now 5 years old and is still on the trip with them. I won't get into that as maybe they will properly educate the little tyke. They frequent cruise in's and car shows and hawk a book that they have written about the trip. They showed up at the High Point cruise in a couple of weeks ago, and was given a less than happy welcome. They have picked up two more bums driving Graham vehicles. If they find a friendly place, you can expect them to stay until they wear out their welcome.

Comment

So your first post on the forum is running someone down? Why should we believe you?

Not how to make a good first impression.

Hope you do better in the future[xx(]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

So your first post on the forum is running someone down? Why should we believe you?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I bet the 1928 Gram has a flat head Continental Six , Red Seal Six. That engine was produced from 1916 to 1962. Jeep used it 'till 62 as did Kaiser of Argentina. the 1916 date may be off by a few years but not much. Gram Page and Kaiser both used superchargers on the engine and it was an extremly popular comerical engine. Problem, it had limited breathing, thus low HP.One darn good engine,Red Seal Six through the years.

Comment

I bet the 1928 Gram has a flat head Continental Six , Red Seal Six. That engine was produced from 1916 to 1962. Jeep used it 'till 62 as did Kaiser of Argentina. the 1916 date may be off by a few years but not much. Gram Page and Kaiser both used superchargers on the engine and it was an extremly popular comerical engine. Problem, it had limited breathing, thus low HP.One darn good engine,Red Seal Six through the years.

Comment

Sort of on subject.

The first "major" magazine article I ever did was a history of Graham Paige. This was before word processors. Being a crappy typist, I wanted to retype it as few times as possible, so did a lot of planning and thinking.

Now, I have a WP and regret to say that, with such an easy life, the G-P article is still the best and most error-free.
                        (I'm sure that there's a lesson somewhere in this.)

Karl

Comment

Sort of on subject.

The first "major" magazine article I ever did was a history of Graham Paige. This was before word processors. Being a crappy typist, I wanted to retype it as few times as possible, so did a lot of planning and thinking.

Now, I have a WP and regret to say that, with such an easy life, the G-P article is still the best and most error-free.
                          (I'm sure that there's a lesson somewhere in this.)

Karl

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Parish, central NY 13131

Bob, You asked the question "Has anyone heard of this couple? Here's their site:

http://argentinaalaska.com/eng/index.html"

And I replied with my answer of how I ran into them. Sorry it didn't meet with your approval of what you was expecting to hear. Maybe you shouldn't ask a question if there are stipulations to anticipated answers, that the respondants are not aware of. Think I'll just sit back now and stealth some more!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Parish, central NY 13131

Bob, You asked the question "Has anyone heard of this couple? Here's their site:

http://argentinaalaska.com/eng/index.html"

And I replied with my answer of how I ran into them. Sorry it didn't meet with your approval of what you was expecting to hear. Maybe you shouldn't ask a question if there are stipulations to anticipated answers, that the respondants are not aware of. Think I'll just sit back now and stealth some more!

Comment

Working...
                              X