1965 Studebaker "import" vs. "domestic"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Studebaker "import" vs. "domestic"

One sure-fire way to light up the forum is to lob a mortar that sets off the import versus domestic loyalty "discussion."

Well, whaddya' know; there's nothing new under the sun (not that there ever has been).

Here's an amusing item from the cited issue of Studebaker Newsletter. Note the discussion of how to deal with customers who don't want to buy an "imported" car:

(Those of you who might have that newsletter, don't panic. I know that item wasn't the first one in that copy. I just pasted it up that way for this thread.)

Everyone will also note how the older, larger, glossier Studebaker News, in genuine newspaper format, had morphed into that little 8 1/2 X 11 "newsletter" by spring 1965. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Cool, Bob. The U.S. Canada auto pact lets cars be built on either side of the border with parts supplied from either side, supposedly with no tariff problems. It didn't cover a Studebaker when I imported my first 55 Commander in about 1975. By that time, Studebaker, was no longer a signatory and I paid a 29% duty (on a $200 purchase!). There were many Canadian built cars, e.g the Tudhope around 1910 up to the Bricklin in the 70's. Always with government blessing and monies, but alas, always going bankrupt and leaving the creditors and government on the hook. There was even a government backed "cruise" ship, the Mercador, that went b'rupt after millions in government blessings. It was siezed in some warm, Caribbean port for non payment of docking fees. Canadian hopes of a Canadian built car have been dashed more often than those of Toronto Maple Leafs fans
    Last edited by warrlaw1; 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Balanced Approach

Being an equal opportunity kind of guy, I have ensured my 2 Stude "fleet" has one US built model and one Canadian built model - now that's balance!!
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Same here Mark !
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

True here to. My Commander was built at Hamilton.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
            Being an equal opportunity kind of guy, I have ensured my 2 Stude "fleet" has one US built model and one Canadian built model - now that's balance!!
            Me too! I love the comments about the Laurentine Green color. My Cruiser is that color and I wish I could find the formula for that color. Most sites with color codes for classic cars don't have Studebaker colors after 1964.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              Me too! I love the comments about the Laurentine Green color. My Cruiser is that color and I wish I could find the formula for that color. Most sites with color codes for classic cars don't have Studebaker colors after 1964.
              Is Laurentian Green really different than '64's Horizon Green?

I'm a pro-U.S. brand guy, but of my three Studebakers, two were Hamilton-built cars! My '66 was the most solid of the three I'd owned, condition-wise. My '64 Daytona Hardtop was a disappointment, condition-wise, when I got it, and my '63 Skytop was also but I got that ironed out in the 23 years I'd owned it! LOL
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                That's the first time I have seen it called Laurentian, I always thought it was Laurentine.

StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X