Avanti R2 additive in the antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Avanti R2 additive in the antifreeze

I am working away to get the Avanti updated for spring. I got the Saturn spoiler and will be putting it on soon. I have been reading about Purple Ice and Water Wetter. I am wondering what the consensus as to what works the best with an Avanti? It seems to run about 180 or a little more at 60 mph and will run up more in traffic on a hot day. I just want to reduce it if I can a little.

Regards

Neil

I ran a Saturn spoiler on my '63 R-1 for about six years, did not notice a drop in running temperature. I rebuilt the engine last year and did not replace the spoiler... now I can get the floor jack under the front end. A friend with an Avanti II saw his temp go down about 10 degrees when he added the spoiler, that's why I bought one. I am not selling mine though as I may see some difference after the rebuild.

Comment

Water Wetter works best with straight water, not a glycol mix so it's benefits may not be noticeable. The Saturn air deflector made a nice difference for me, but it's of no value if you're idling in traffic.

If your car stays in the 180 degree range most of the time, you have little to worry about. Anything below 200-210 degrees in an Avanti in hot weather is as much as most could hope for.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

All of that stuff is basically hocum. It's supposed to keep the water up against the metal an areas that would cause just water to boil, like near the exhaust valve.

I tryed it a few years back both on my motorcycles and cars. I removed and flushed the systems on all vehicles by the end of that summer. Did nothing. In fact, one of my bikes with a digital water temp. gauge...the "normal" temp. went UP three degrees..! While three degrees isn't much of anything...this stuff is "supposed" to make temps "drop...!" .

Funny thing..the FAA banned "any" of that type stuff from water cool aircraft back in the mid 70's, I read the report..!

Stick with distilled water and 20% antifreeze, you'll be about as good as it gets.
        Why 20%...antifreeze does not aid in transfering heat like clean water does..! You just need enough to protect the metal and water from corrosion forming.

Mike

Comment

You need anti freeze to prevent freezing in my part of the country & I have started buying the pre-mixed stuff. it is just a few cents cheaper than buying the antifreeze plus the distilled water & I'm a CASO.

Comment

Working...
          X