Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian '66 needs a savior (headed to crusher)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, that car is in Nova Scotia, about as far away from me as it can get, and still be in Canada. One of our Maritime members should get on this like a dog on ugly.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Why are these deals always so far away!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

$10,000 invested..., will take $2,500, otherwise it goes to the crusher??? Who is selling this the US government?
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
          $10,000 invested..., will take $2,500, otherwise it goes to the crusher??? Who is selling this the US government?
          This is something that sorta irks me, too. I mean, how much can this guy get from it at the scrap yard? $400 maybe? I'm trying to be understanding, and think that maybe the guy is thinking of some other sort of scrapper that I don't know about, the kind where they pay good money. Personally, I think the guy's just being a jerk, and trying to bully people into buying the car by making threatening statements.

Someone should contact him, tell them they're a scrapper, and give him a quote to haul the thing away for a grand. It will be the best offer he'll get from a scrapper, that's for sure!
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I would love to see a car this rare get saved. I've people do this before, threaten the buying public. I don't like, it almost feels like there taking the car hostage. If they go though with it then there a jerk, if they're making idle threats they are well a jerk, so.........

Comment

Looks well worth the bucks for someone within a hour or two of the car.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                I would love to see a car this rare get saved. I've people do this before, threaten the buying public. I don't like, it almost feels like there taking the car hostage. If they go though with it then there a jerk, if they're making idle threats they are well a jerk, so.........
                Well it looks like I am a jerk then because in the past I have made the same statement and have followed through and sent them off to China, in this case you might be right I would never scrap a car this nice to scrap prices but might part it out to others because one can not save every thing for other forever.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Well it looks like I am a jerk then because in the past I have made the same statement and have followed through and sent them off to China, in this case you might be right I would never scrap a car this nice to scrap prices but might part it out to others because one can not save every thing for other forever.
                  I guess the distinction would (hopefully!) be that if a Studebaker enthusiast came to you and offered you scrap price for that vehicle, you seem like the person who would be inclined to do that. The wording of the ad above makes it sound like all or nothing. The owner appears to be saying "Give me a firm $2500, or I'm going to sell it to a crusher for $400." That doesn't make any sense. Like I said, it's almost a straight bullying tactic. Give me what I want or I'll hurt something you like.

Sending a car to a scrapper or saying you'll do so doesn't make you a jerk. If I hadn't had titling issues, I'd have scrapped my two '60 Larks several times over, because I made it clear again and again and again that I wanted to get rid of them and nobody was interested, even when I was saying I'd give them away. Fortunately someone did eventually offer me what was a little under scrap value, and because they were going to a guy who could part them out or do something with them, I was more than happy to send them his way.

If the pictures are true, and this is a frame-off rebuild that's 90% done, this is an insanely good deal, and at $2500, it really should sell. That being said, if it doesn't, and the guy scraps the car despite several requests to pay lower (but still above scrap) prices for it, it does seem a little immature of him to do so. It's a bit of a slap in the face to destroy something that nice if there are offers out there to save it, even if the offers are lower than what you want.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I have a brother in Bridgewater, but he is way too useless to save this car. He drove a 60 Lark VI with 30,000 miles on it off the road and let it rot. Some people eat snails, others walk on them.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post

Someone should contact him, tell them they're a scrapper, and give him a quote to haul the thing away for a grand. It will be the best offer he'll get from a scrapper, that's for sure!
                      I actually tried this once with a guy who was selling a mustang. His ad had the same threat, so I gave him a call claiming I was a local scrapper and threw him a low offer based on the vehicle's scrap value. The guy hung up on me.

Comment

I know if it was here in Ontario it would be grabbed up in a hurry !
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          That's different Bob, you've got litterally tons of cars and sheet metal to deal with. with you I don't think it's a matter of holding a nice rare car hostage, and then destroying it because no one would pay up. I think it's more a matter of you have to much crap to deal with, and need to get stuff out of your way and down the road. And if people aren't willing to just deal with you it's not worth your time. That statement had nothing to do with you or people like you, you are a massive boon to the studebaker hobby where as this guy is a detriment to our hobby.

Comment

"It's a bit of a slap in the face to destroy something that nice if there are offers out there to save it, even if the offers are lower than what you want."

And what about guys that take good Cruisers - solid as can be and running - and part them out just for the money?
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                            X