PDA

View Full Version : New/Old guy with a mild case of GT HAWK fever...

tony58
05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I had a 53 Starliner when I was a teenager.As alot of things really didn't know what I had.Wound up almost giving it away in the early 60s.Never forgot that car,ran the wheels off of that poor car.I think i ran it for about 3-4 years ,don't think I ever changed the oil?
Anybody here own this car? http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/3799967122.html
Anybody showing in the big car show in Nashville this coming week-end at Titians Stadium?
https://www.good-guys.com/nvn

Thanks,
Tony

studegary
05-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the Forum!
I have owned several 1953-1954 Starliners and Starlights, from driver quality to show cars, from completely stock to restorod. I like them all.

sweetolbob
05-12-2013, 12:56 PM
I had a 53 Starliner when I was a teenager.As alot of things really didn't know what I had.Wound up almost giving it away in the early 60s.Never forgot that car,ran the wheels off of that poor car.I think i ran it for about 3-4 years ,don't think I ever changed the oil?
Anybody here own this car? http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/3799967122.html
Anybody showing in the big car show in Nashville this coming week-end at Titians Stadium?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony

Welcome to the forum too! The problem is what you have generally only gets worse as noted by the fact that few of us here have only one.

A word of caution if you are considering this car. Go look it over or have a local club member look at it before you buy. There is a hint of rust in the trunk photo and enough extra smutzh on the visor to cause some concern. The price is not exorbitant for a GT in nice shape but in this range you can start to expect a solid good looking car that performs well. All you should expect are non-serious reasonably repairable items as you get into this price point. JMHO

Bob

RadioRoy
05-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Hopefully the exhausts will not "duel" with each other.

tony58
05-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the Forum!
I have owned several 1953-1954 Starliners and Starlights, from driver quality to show cars, from completely stock to restorod. I like them all.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks

tony58
05-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Tony

Welcome to the forum too! The problem is what you have generally only gets worse as noted by the fact that few of us here have only one.

A word of caution if you are considering this car. Go look it over or have a local club member look at it before you buy. There is a hint of rust in the trunk photo and enough extra smutzh on the visor to cause some concern. The price is not exorbitant for a GT in nice shape but in this range you can start to expect a solid good looking car that performs well. All you should expect are non-serious reasonably repairable items as you get into this price point. JMHO

Bob
Thanks for the advice.Just wondered if this belonged to someone here.

JoeHall
05-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I drove to Nashville and looked at this car a couple of years ago. Still the same seller, and it still hasn't sold, but he keeps raising the price !

It could be an excellent driver (subjective term) with a little money and time. When I saw it, the body was very straight, with no signs of major rust repair. It was repainted maybe 6-8 years ago. The interior appeared original, and was in very good condition, but had that "old car smell" that gives me a headache. It likely would begin to deteriorate if put into use anyway, so new seats, carpet, headliner and windlace are probably in order. After gutting the interior, coating everything inside the car with Por15 and Herculiner before re-installing the interior would probably get rid of the old car smell.

IIRC the owner said the guy he got it from had rebuilt the engine. It looked like it had been rebuilt maybe 10,000 miles ago. I did not drive the car, but it fired right up, and sounded good, with good oil pressure and no smoke. It had a cracked exhaust manifold though IIRC.

IIRC it did not have power steering, which is important to me at this point in life.

I'd say, $8000-10,000 would be a good price for that car. Hopefully, he has began parking the car inside. If he continued to let it sit outside, as he had for quite sometime when I looked at it, it may be in much poorer condition today than it was two years ago.

The seller is a nice guy, but was very bust, and hard to catch up with to look at the car.

tony58
05-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Hopefully the exhausts will not "duel" with each other.

The duals probably kicked it up a thousand or two...
tony

tony58
05-12-2013, 04:12 PM
I drove to Nashville and looked at this car a couple of years ago. Still the same seller, and it still hasn't sold, but he keeps raising the price !

It could be an excellent driver (subjective term) with a little money and time. When I saw it, the body was very straight, with no signs of major rust repair. It was repainted maybe 6-8 years ago. The interior appeared original, and was in very good condition, but had that "old car smell" that gives me a headache. It likely would begin to deteriorate if put into use anyway, so new seats, carpet, headliner and windlace are probably in order. After gutting the interior, coating everything inside the car with Por15 and Herculiner before re-installing the interior would probably get rid of the old car smell.

IIRC the owner said the guy he got it from had rebuilt the engine. It looked like it had been rebuilt maybe 10,000 miles ago. I did not drive the car, but it fired right up, and sounded good, with good oil pressure and no smoke. It had a cracked exhaust manifold though IIRC.

IIRC it did not have power steering, which is important to me at this point in life.

I'd say, $8000-10,000 would be a good price for that car. Hopefully, he has began parking the car inside. If he continued to let it sit outside, as he had for quite sometime when I looked at it, it may be in much poorer condition today than it was two years ago.

The seller is a nice guy, but was very bust, and hard to catch up with to look at the car.

Joe,
Thanks for the information.Good to know if I go look at the car.I'm in no hurry,I'II know the right car when see I see it...Still haven't ruled the one you have available out.Got to see how much the man that does my painting will charge?
Thanks

ken-renda
05-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Tony, check your private messages. Ken

30seagrave
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
I looked at that car when it was about $2000.00 cheaper, if I remember correctly there was some minor rust but what really put me off was the almost standing water in the front carpets, really wonder what the floor was going to be like. So i bought a 62 GT out of a fair sized California collection that was being liquidated by the heirs.....The rust free California car with lots of pics ended up not being so,major rusty floors, 3 fiberglass fenders and one look at the Texas title showed that it came from Colorado. PO, who owned a large auto parts store in California was too cheap to put anti freeze in it and all 6 freeze plugs were leaking when it got to me. Before i do another one of these, either I am going to look at it or pay someone to give me an honest evaluation.

tony58
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I looked at that car when it was about $2000.00 cheaper, if I remember correctly there was some minor rust but what really put me off was the almost standing water in the front carpets, really wonder what the floor was going to be like. So i bought a 62 GT out of a fair sized California collection that was being liquidated by the heirs.....The rust free California car with lots of pics ended up not being so,major rusty floors, 3 fiberglass fenders and one look at the Texas title showed that it came from Colorado. PO, who owned a large auto parts store in California was too cheap to put anti freeze in it and all 6 freeze plugs were leaking when it got to me. Before i do another one of these, either I am going to look at it or pay someone to give me an honest evaluation.

Hey,thanks for the information...By the way I was born and raised in Columbia Tn.a long time ago...
Tony

RadioRoy
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Was that the GT Hawk that was in the Kohlweiss collection? They thought that fiberglass front fenders may have been stock, because everybody knows that Studebakers are weird. They also thought the interior was stock. I pointed out the truth, but am not sure they listened or cared.

30seagrave
05-15-2013, 10:19 AM
That is where it came from. No, they did not listen to anything that you told them and did not pass any of that information on to me. Also had 1 fiberglass rear fender. There were 60 pix to look at but I have a feeling that they were selective, only showing the good. I still wonder if I should sell both this one and my "California car" 64 GT and get 1 good one!!

JoeHall
05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
That is where it came from. No, they did not listen to anything that you told them and did not pass any of that information on to me. Also had 1 fiberglass rear fender. There were 60 pix to look at but I have a feeling that they were selective, only showing the good. I still wonder if I should sell both this one and my "California car" 64 GT and get 1 good one!!
Are you talking about the above, Nashville Hawk on CL? If so, I did not notice the fiberglass fenders, nor that the interior was not OEM. I think it may be a different car. The current owner told me he bought this car in Ohio, IIRC.

30seagrave
05-15-2013, 09:42 PM
No, that was in reference to the Kohlweiss collection 1962 GT in response to RadioRoy's post

RadioRoy
05-17-2013, 04:54 PM
No, that was in reference to the Kohlweiss collection 1962 GT in response to RadioRoy's post

Did anybody look the car over in person before you bought it?

30seagrave
05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I made the very incorrect assumption that an individual with a collection that size and in the automotive industry would be able to give an honest description and know what they were selling. I guess it is a life lesson for me but I will either get this car on the road and going as well as my 64 GT of find homes for both and get a really good one.