Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual Studebaker Items #26 (windshield washers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Studebaker Items #26 (windshield washers)

Windshield washers were available pretty early on Studebakers.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I like the note on how it works at any speed.

Comment

AC 1379 - windshield washer was in the 1946 Book F price list. Why is fluid given an AC number and not a part number. AC-1381 is brake fluid and AC 1383 is a 4 oz. bottle of windshield fluid.

Comment

I believe the first year washers were available was 1938. Had a near NOS one that is in the mail to Ca.

Comment

"Brass" was a critical supply in '51? (Read the "Available in ample supply--now!")
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Are they still available for a '57 truck? I live on a dirt road and need them badly. Who has the set-up?

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
              "Brass" was a critical supply in '51? (Read the "Available in ample supply--now!")
              There was a shortage of some critical materials during the Korean War, though no rationing like in WWII. Copper/brass were required for bullets and big gun shells, among other things. "Korean War chrome" on cars was of notoriously poor quality.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                There was a shortage of some critical materials during the Korean War, though no rationing like in WWII. Copper/brass were required for bullets and big gun shells, among other things. "Korean War chrome" on cars was of notoriously poor quality.
                I thought that was what it would be, just suprised me a little.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  I thought that was what it would be, just suprised me a little.
                  One has to remember that in 1951, the memories of the rationing and shortages of WW II were still fresh in everyone's mind (in fact, rationing was still in effect in the UK), and the Cold War was relatively new. No one knew how big or bad the Korean War was likely to be, but the country was preparing for the possibility that it might blow up into WW III, especially after the Chinese entered the war in October 1950. Many Stude sales letters from that period relate to the temporary non-availability of some optional equipment due to shortages of critical materials.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                  X