1961 Hawk running gear paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 1961 Hawk running gear paint

Possibly someone can help me out with colors in a 1961 Hawk.
    Turning Wheels issue of July 1989 vol. 21, No.6 states the motor color was Silver-Gray on the BLOCK AND HEADS with Red valve covers.
    How did this 61 roll out of the factory.
    Does anyone have a few pics, better yet any vids.
    Here's what im thinking please correct me if im wrong.
    Silver-Gray on the "Complete Engine" intake, water pump, Bell housing and Trans.
    Black semi-gloss on the fan pulley & spacer, fan shroud, oil cap, Gen, Starter, Dist, Air Cleaner, crank case vent tube, dip stick tube and oil pan.
    Cooling Fan Aluminum Silver.
    Red oil filter bracket and dip stick.
    Exhaust Manifolds bare iron.
    Oil fill tube bare aluminum.

One more question, where is one to find this Silver-Gray high temp paint.
    USASTUDE

It really is not like many people say that the color is Gray. It is just because it is heat faded. It was Ordinary Aluminum Silver when heated and rusted over many years it even can turn Gold.

Your Fan spacer, dipstick tube, handle and Cap, crankcase breather, Oil Pan, Oil Filter bracket pretty much everything should be Silver. You had it right when you said: complete engine".

Not that some owners have not dressed up their Engine and some look very good, but not like it rolled out of the Factory.
    The '61 Engine should have the small spin-on Oil Filter base not the Canister type, so the bracket and filter base would be bare aluminum with Silver overspray so you could clear coat it, leave it bare or do it Silver doesn't matter but Not Red, the Factory V-SP Spin-on Filter was Red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Baby Blue5.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1679991 This one looks good except the Black Oil Cap which is questionable as some were Black. This Filter is not a Studebaker Oil Filter, they can still be bought or another Brand Painted and Decaled to look original.
    It also is running a bare Aluminum Alternator instead of a Black Generator.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      pretty much everything should be Silver.
      In the pic you provided it shows the dip stick is Red, just like i read somewhere. the article said that the 61 only year spin-on oil filter bracket was Red along with the valve covers and dip stick, not the tube just the top of the dip stick.
      My 61 oil filter bracket was red. It looks factory with the same die lot as the valve covers. The dip stick was replace with an off brand.
      All the 61 Pulleys were silver-gray?
      Aluminum Silver ok sounds right after it heats up.
      If only these old pics were in color

My hawk started to get hot and lost oil pressure, the block is to far rotted as it needs welding. So im installing another motor i started building until i can find a 1961 block anyways its a 1960, 259, 30 over, 10:1, moly rings, -10 -10, ported, harden ex seats, wcfb 4bbl. Im just trying to make it look and sound factory. But my wifes only request it to have it sound fast like a pro street so whats the roughest idle sounding cam grind the R2+
      Last edited by Rocket442; 05-09-2013, 04:08 AM.
      USASTUDE

Comment

That would probably be what you want, but remember a rumpy sounding Cam is not going to be the best low RPM performer or street happy cam.

I sell all of the readily available Stude. Pistons, and I have never heard of a 10.0 to 1 259 Piston, where did those come from?

I also would hope it is "ported" enough to lower that 10.0 to 1 down enough to drive it on Premium instead of Race Gas, so you could drive it on a bit less than Jay Leno's budget!

I think the bracket info is incorrect, are you sure they were not talking about the SP Filter? This "Bracket" was actually used on 1958 to mid
        SP Filter? This "Bracket" was actuall used on 1958 to mid 1962 year models and
        NOT 1961 specific, so that much can be proven to be wrong, it was bare cast Aluminum with Silver overspray and would look correct like the Picture.

If you really cared THAT much as I said, there are NOS Filters for show, OR you can paint the filter a deep Red and add New Decals to make it 100% correct.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X