Just start at the problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just start at the problem!

The '63 has needed a master cylinder replacement done, and I've been reluctant to get to it, because I've read the horror of getting a new one. (I just don't have $300 for a replacement!) Well, I've beat around the bush, trying out every other part of the brake system, hoping I could find a problem anywhere else to try fixing first. Of course, no problems arose, so today I finally popped the master cylinder off the car. When I slid it off the brake pedal pushrod, brake fluid literally poured out of the boot, as if the entire cylinder was going to drain from it. So now I finally have to fight that battle. The moral of the story is if you think you know what the problem is, just deal with the problem instead of beating around the bush. Hopefully I'll still find what I need and have her on the road in time for the orphan car show in a little over a week!

I suppose the good news is that I now know that the rest of the brake system should be good for a while

Now onto figuring out how to solve my master cylinder issue without spending $300 in parts!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Jim, what is special on 63s vs. 64 and later ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I bought a new one thru a local auto parts store (for a '63 Drum Brake Lark) and it was about $80 if I recall right. I wanna say it was for a Jeep or some such thing, but it worked out just fine.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The '63 M/C has significantly larger fittings for the lines, but otherwise they're about the same as 64 and on.

Having done some searching on the forum, it looks like there's a replacement M/C from AMC vehicles that is a good match, though I'm thinking from pictures online that I'm going to have to change the fittings on my brake lines. So I'm heading back to the garage to go remove those as well, and then it's off to O'Reilly.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
          I bought a new one thru a local auto parts store (for a '63 Drum Brake Lark) and it was about $80 if I recall right. I wanna say it was for a Jeep or some such thing, but it worked out just fine.
          Did you have to change the fittings on your brake lines? That's the same one I'm going to go pick up.

Comment

what size are the outlets from the AMC master ??

Comment

I have done this. Don't remember about the outlets, but the replacement has the ports on the opposite side from OEM, so a bit of re-piping, at least to the distribution block, is needed.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I got the new master cylinder installed this weekend, and it turns out that I was more worried than I needed to be. Our own 41 Frank came over to my garage yesterday morning, and helped me figure out the plumbing. With my current garage setup there was no easy way to disconnect the lines from the car, so they were cut in place a few inches from the end. New lines and fittings were spliced onto the existing lines. The master cylinder was for a '74 Jeep CJ6 with all drum brakes, and it was an excellent replacement. Interestingly, the ports were on the same side and were also the same size as the ports on a Studebaker 64+ master cylinder. We almost ran into a snag when we realized that the size of the ports was still larger than what you'd conventionally find on a 3/16" brake line and we didn't have anything to convert them down. Fortunately, the previous owner of my car had pulled a master cylinder from a '64, and he had just cut the lines, leaving the fittings still bolted onto the ports. We swapped those onto the new end pieces, and we were in business. A few minutes later and we were done. Later that night I got the lines bled, replaced a couple other parts I'd been working on, and this afternoon the car is running and stopping. The best part is that this particular master cylinder cost a whopping $19.99. Not bad!

Comment

Awesome Jim can't wait to see it in person!

Comment

If the fitting size is the issue, Why nit get the correct fittings for the 3/16" line, thus eliminating any "extra" adapters? The AMC M/C takes 2 1/2 x 20 flare nuts, These are available but generally NOT in a parts store. (forget Auto Zone)! I have them along with some 9/16 x 18.
                    To check the thread on a flare nut, use a regular bolt, the threads are the same as standard bolts. At the So. Bend swap meet last weekend, I was asked if I could find the fittings to make a 1933 Auburn brake hose, a little research, and I can get the one I don't have, the other one is the same as the Studebaker trucks!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

I probably didn't make that clear. The fittings that I had purchased at my FLAPS assuming them to be correct were too small. Those fittings are now sitting on my workbench waiting for me to return them. I discovered that I did have the right size fittings, which were very conveniently still bolted to a '64 master cylinder my car's p/o had pulled and sold with the car.

It just goes to show, never throw anything out, even if it's a part from the wrong year!

Comment

Working...
                      X