Needless fripperies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needless fripperies

I ordered the 'universal' radio antenna to fill the hole in my driver's fender, and it doesn't look like it'll fit. Has anyone had any experience replacing their antenna? I have it up against the fender inside, but the threaded body isn't long enough to extend through. I'm thinking I may need to 'trim' the arms that secure the antenna against the bottom of the fender in order to free up some threads.

I am looking for a source for a lace up wheel cover, for the 17" wheel. The FLAPS examples I've come across are only 15". Color choices would be appreciated.

Has anyone bought the door window shades recently? I looked for door window shades on JC Whitney and they say they don't have them, for me anyway.

I have some overspray of white paint on one of the air vent knobs in the car. I'd appreciate suggestions as to how best to safely remove the paint, although I have to say, the white knob, though incorrect actually looks nicer and is easier to locate than the stock black plastic knob.

I have a whole pile of "universal" antenna replacements that I have butchered trying to make them fit a Lark fender. Finally found a decent junk yard Lark antenna. Good luck on your antenna quest! Consider yourself warned...all you are doing is starting a collection of broken and butchered antenna parts. I find a 5 gallon bucket is a nice way to store and display the collection you are starting.

Comment

Well, that's the information I needed to know. Thanks for saving me the time! I'll still experiment with a Dremel and the antenna I have, since I have it.

I was re-reading my OP. The window shades I'm thinking of, are the stainless ones that fit at the top of the doors.

Comment

When attempting to make the antenna fit, make sure to only modify the antenna, not the car. Always modify the cheap, replaceable, removable part, not the expensive irreplaceable, immovable part.

I have the new FLAPS antenna on my 60 Lark that manually retracts fully into the fender (you go outside and push it down) and it fits, but I cannot seem to make it stand straight in the hole. Maybe I should go inside the kick panel and mount a bracket there.

For best looks, it should slant about ten degrees backwards and about 5 degrees inwards. That way it will look straight.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I believe your "universal antennas" are intended to be secured through a single layer of sheet metal. Installation in most of our vehicles are going through multiple layers of cowl and fender. As Roy advised, if you are utilizing the factory location (hole is already in fender and cowl) adapt your antenna, not your car. Alternatively, procure the correct Studebaker antenna (they are available) or, seal your original location and relocate your aftermarket antenna.

Your steering wheel cover in that size should be easily available at truck stops. Big trucks=big steering wheels. Or use Google http://www.google.com/#q=17%22%20ste...w=1152&bih=673

Your "door window shades" are called ventshades. They were originally made by the Auto Ventshade Company of Chamblee, Georgia and a couple of other aftermarket producers. Auto Ventshade Company was purchased by Lund. They still produce stainless models for some of the more popular classics but, not for Studebakers. Your best bet is to find them at a Studebaker specific swap meet or inquire enough to find someone who has them and will bother to contact you. They are still fairly cheap since, without a reference list no one knows what they came off of or what they fit.

Rubbing compound should remove your paint over spray.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Which car are you working on?

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
              Which car are you working on?
              1960 Lark VI wagon, 4 door.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                I believe your "universal antennas" are intended to be secured through a single layer of sheet metal. Installation in most of our vehicles are going through multiple layers of cowl and fender. As Roy advised, if you are utilizing the factory location (hole is already in fender and cowl) adapt your antenna, not your car. Alternatively, procure the correct Studebaker antenna (they are available) or, seal your original location and relocate your aftermarket antenna.
                I will look into the Studebaker specific antenna, I got this from SI, so I figgered it would work better than this. Oh well, as long as it's not me missing something obvious, I'll kludge something. Either trim and relocate the 'feet' on the antenna under the fender; I assume since this is a long time issue, the idea of securing some threaded rod in some way on the top of the inadequately long threaded rod on the antenna has been tried?
                That was one of my initial responses to what I saw.
                Thanks Roy for the comments.

Your steering wheel cover in that size should be easily available at truck stops. Big trucks=big steering wheels. Or use Google http://www.google.com/#q=17%22%20ste...w=1152&bih=673
                Thanks for that link. That led me to this one, which is perfect: http://www.studebakerparts.com/stude...swheelcvr.html
                I did look for something before. I guess it was just that I was looking for the olde time perforated standard wheelcover. They just don't seem to be made in olde time sized wheel sizes I was also a little hesitant until I saw this on a Stude wheel that it would be too wide for the narrow original style steering wheel.[/quote]

Your "door window shades" are called ventshades. They were originally made by the Auto Ventshade Company of Chamblee, Georgia and a couple of other aftermarket producers. Auto Ventshade Company was purchased by Lund. They still produce stainless models for some of the more popular classics but, not for Studebakers. Your best bet is to find them at a Studebaker specific swap meet or inquire enough to find someone who has them and will bother to contact you. They are still fairly cheap since, without a reference list no one knows what they came off of or what they fit.
                I will do that, thanks.

Rubbing compound should remove your paint over spray.
                Super.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  When attempting to make the antenna fit, make sure to only modify the antenna, not the car. Always modify the cheap, replaceable, removable part, not the expensive irreplaceable, immovable part.

I have the new FLAPS antenna on my 60 Lark that manually retracts fully into the fender (you go outside and push it down) and it fits, but I cannot seem to make it stand straight in the hole. Maybe I should go inside the kick panel and mount a bracket there.

For best looks, it should slant about ten degrees backwards and about 5 degrees inwards. That way it will look straight.
                  Good to know it'll be cattywhampus when I get one in.

Comment

Working...
                  X