Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Commander v. Champion

Hi all,

Just joined, so this is my first post. I like the 1950 models best, but I haven't really been able to find this out: apart from the engine, the wheelbase and the trim, what are the differences between the Commander and the Champion of that year? Mainly I'm trying to figure out whether, other things being equal (like optional equipment, trim packages and that sort of thing), the Commander was really more luxurious in interior appointments overall, and in what ways.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Matt

hi! welcome aboard.

here's some info about 50 & 51's to start with while others find more info: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1950-1951-studebaker.htm

some of the "narrative" may not be quite correct. such as: around here, it's not "proper" to call a "Champion" a "Champ". the Champ is a Studebaker pick-up...

i have a '51. the main downside of the '50 i believe is the availability of some parts, if i recall correctly some were one year only. still, there are many parts vendors on the forum and the SDC that have most of what you may need if you purchase a '50...

let us know what you're looking for, we may be able to help.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

As Corvanti said the '51 is a whole LOT easier to deal with repairs, parts etc. because many mechanicals like brakes were used up to '53 and some others like Suspension and Steering were used all the way to 1966.

The '50 Champion Steering and Brakes etc. are not even close to each other, or the '51 and on.
      The Commander is a heavier, larger Car like a Buick or Olds, and the Champion is in the Chevrolet class.

In the same trim levels, both Interiors are very comparable, but not the same, the Commander being nicer, and the Commander Land Cruiser being the nicest.

Of course a Big difference on Commanders between '50 and '51 would be the "245" 6 vs the "232" V8.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Matt, if you prefer the 1950 models, you should consider buying the 1950 Land Cruiser offered for sale by Andy and Cathy Hess of our Indy Chapter SDC [Indianapolis].

It is a drop-dead gorgeous car in soft green with Automatic Drive. They are only asking $15,000 for it. It was allegedly the subject of a $40,000 restoration before they bought it. I can believe it.

I've looked the car over carefully and that price is a genuine bargain. You couldn't start with an average one in running condition and get it half that nice by the time you had spent $15,000. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dang it, Bob! You know some of us have the fever! Where can I see that '50 Land Cruiser? I let mine get away thirty years ago.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Commander is like the LTD of the Stude world, and the Champion is more akin to the Pinto!
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Dang it, Bob! You know some of us have the fever! Where can I see that '50 Land Cruiser? I let mine get away thirty years ago.
              PM sent, Brad. You'll find the car to be exactly as Andy or Cathy describe it, and that is very nice. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow, I'll bet the condition of this Restored baby is very close to the original unrestored condition of Fred Fox's Family owned since New Tan '50 Land Cruiser, one of the best unrestored in the Country.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  The Commander is like the LTD of the Stude world, and the Champion is more akin to the Pinto!
                  Wow, that's a little harsh. Could we at least get the Champion up to Maverick status?

Dave Nevin
                  Corvallis, OR
                  1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                  Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                    Wow, that's a little harsh. Could we at least get the Champion up to Maverick status?

Champion=Ford, Commander=Mercury, Land Cruiser=Lincoln
                    or,
                    Champion=Belair, Commander=Impala, Land Cruiser=Impala SS
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The most major difference in appearance is in the front fenders/grill (such as it is). The headlights and parking lights are eight to ten inches farther forward (from the windshield) on the Commander, making it look less 'stubby." Couple those fenders with a business coupe body and you have one striking vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Wow, I'll bet the condition of this Restored baby is very close to the original unrestored condition of Fred Fox's Family owned since New Tan '50 Land Cruiser, one of the best unrestored in the Country.
                        I agree with your statement about the Fox LC. I can think of only one dealer installed deviation from build that was done by the dealer at Fox's request.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As you can see from my avatar that I own a '50 Commander. Here are the differences that I see between it and it's Champion counterpart:
                          The heavier Commander still uses the Houdale (sp) rear shock absorbers rather than the hydraulic rear shocks on the Champion that were new at the time.
                          The trim is a little nicer. Check the difference between the hood ornaments for example.
                          The Commander has more power and is more likely to have come with the Hill Holder which was an option on the Champion.
                          The brakes on the Commander are larger.
                          There is a little more leg room in the back seat.
                          The instrument panel looks nicer on the Commander in my opinion. More Art Deco.
                          The Commanders tended to be more optioned up than the Champions, although many of the options were available for the Champions.
                          I like the ride of the Commander a little better. Smoother and more luxurious ride.
                          The Commanders are a bit more rare as fewer of them were built and sold. This makes their value higher.

I am sure if I gave it more thought I could come up with more examples, but these are the things that most readily come to mind.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I think Ed's list is fairly complete, but I would add that the Power train: Clutch, Transmission and Rear Axle were all built for the more powerful Engine, so they were the Heavier Duty versions (Models) of the same high quality Manufacturers Parts. That is: Borg & Beck, Borg Warner and Dana Spicer.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              You'll find the car to be exactly as Andy or Cathy describe it, and that is very nice. BP
                              Bob, you can't imagine how I wish. The comfort of that long wheelbase ride and the sofa-like interior are etched on my memory. I sorely miss it. I still need another bay to house one I already have!
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X