Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual Studebaker Items #22 (do your vacuum wipers slow WAY down on hills?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Studebaker Items #22 (do your vacuum wipers slow WAY down on hills?)

How about an automatic ElectroVac?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I have one of those that came off an R series truck
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hehehe, it's an electric vacuum pump! Even though cars these days don't use 'em as much for vacuum operated circuits these days, they found their way into other stock and aftermarket applications on automobiles. I could really see myself coming in to buy one of those, having them ask me if I need it for my vacuum operated wipers, and saying "No, I have a good engine, but I'm working on a special project for trying to get better ring seal!"
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I can use one of those on my Champion. Is it for sale?

Comment

Thanks, you filled in a blank on my AC list.

Comment

Those were also used on a fuel injected 57 Chev ....they bring big bucks for the chevy fuelly guys!
            sigpic

Comment

Back in the day when my 59 Lark was my transportation I got so fed up with the vacuum wipers I replaced them with an electric motor. If I had known then that something like this was available I would have jumped at the chance!
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I would love to get my hands on one of these. I do not like to drive my '50 Commander in the rain because the wipers are so sluggish. Here in the Northwest that can really limit the number of days I can take my car out.
                Anybody know if anything like this is still available?

Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Something similar is used on full sized electric vehicles today, for power brakes and other applications where having vacuum is needed.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Commander Eddie
                    as alluded to in the advertising flyer, they made fuel pumps with vacuum boosters for both Champions and Commanders. I don't have one myself, but I'm told that they help quite a bit. They're still readily available from vendors like SI. You can also find NOS pumps with vacuum boosters on eBay, but I'm told that the diaphragms in those don't last very long when exposed to modern fuel.
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

If your wipers are sluggish they are probably in need of a rebuild. I had one rebuilt by Fricken Wiper and it came back with enough power to almost break your arm if you grabbed it !
                      sigpic

Comment

My '50 has been converted to electric fuel pump so the fuel pump with vacuum booster option would not work. Having the wiper rebuilt may be my best option. I would rather not switch to electric since the car did not come so equipped. (I know, the car came with electric fuel pump when I bought it so I have had to accept some modifications).
                        It is interesting that Studebaker recognized the problem and offered a solution.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

When I was building an M-16 years ago, I bought an NOS vacuum booster from the late Don Gay. This was a factory option item that mounted on the OIL pump! I can't testify how well it worked tho. I sold the engine to a guy who put it in a '41 Commander.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X