Check those cotter pins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check those cotter pins!

Last Saturday, Joe and I took his pickup to a BBQ hosted by one of our chapter members. We were very pleased with the performance of his newly installed T5 5 speed transmission and he sometimes caught himself going above 70MPH even though he usually drives the truck a bit slower. The round trip was around 150 miles and the truck ran fine until......A few hundred yards before the first exit for Searcy, we heard a funny scraping and vibrating from under the truck and Joe eased onto the shoulder of the road.....

looked underneath......

and saw this!

Obviously, at some time in the past he did not replace the cotter pin on the castellated nut that holds the tie rod in place. We were blessed to have this happen on a straight stretch of road where the truck stopped easily. After searching the area beside the road, Joe found a length of cord and tied the tie rod in place. We then drove sloooowly and carefully the rest of the way home. I am thankful that we did not have to try out the newly installed seat belts.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

You are very lucky and blessed! I have a friend who had the exact same thing happen on his '62 Ford pickup, and found himself upside down in a ditch (and in a wheelchair for the rest of his life).

We should put undercarriage component checks on our service schedule just like oil changes and chassis lubes. It could save lives!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

wow that's scary looking. I can't imagine what that sounded like banging underneath at highway speeds

Comment

I lost a tie rod on my Brand X 59 Ranchero one time. We drove it home without the tie rod attached. It funny how the unattached front tire followed the only steering tire all the way home, including turns.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
          wow that's scary looking. I can't imagine what that sounded like banging underneath at highway speeds
          Actually, it wasn't very loud. We at first thought that the throwout bearing or something else related to the new transmission install had failed. No loud banging.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

From my racing days, whenever I do suspension work, I has a checklist of all the nuts and bolts and retorque everything.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              Actually, it wasn't very loud. We at first thought that the throwout bearing or something else related to the new transmission install had failed. No loud banging.
              Fascinating. Looking at it like that, it sure appears like it would bounce up and down under the car as you rolled along.

Comment

We keep a bucket of those things whenever they need to be replaced. They have an obnoxious tendency to disintegrate after 50 years or a few times in and out of the cotter hole. I still recall losing all transmission function on the Lark, when the linkage at the cotter pin came apart, because the cotter pin rusted out and fell off. Luckily, I was in my own driveway at the time, so a couple minutes of locating the offending piece, and changing out the cotter pin for a new one, and it was good for another 40 years!
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Last summer I had the my front completely rebuilt (3E7 Transtar Deluxe). Drove it for a week . went 20 miles to have it alligned at a friends' shop, drove home , took another 10 mile round trip and had the same thing happen to mt 1/2 mile from my house. Same joint. No one had put in cotter pins anywhere on the front end. Used two hose clamps to keep it together and drove home to fix it. How stupid of them!!!!! I was only going 30 m/p/h and just pulled over. Had to lay in a fire ant's nest to get under it. Madder than hell.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                    Fascinating. Looking at it like that, it sure appears like it would bounce up and down under the car as you rolled along.
                    We were on a relatively smooth part of the road and stopped as soon as we heard the noise. There was not much time to bounce and not much damage to the tie rod end.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Pretty truck!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
                        Pretty truck!
                        Joe thanks you. I can't take much credit because he did most of it while I was living somewhere else. He combined a 55 and 57 parts truck and added a 63 289 into the mix. It has been on the road several years, but we just got through changing to the T5 transmission.

It still needs new carpet and he would like to make up a shifter that looks more like a stock truck shifter. This time the carpet is going to be made in three pieces with the transmission cover piece held by heavy duty velcro.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

How fortunate everyone and everything survived without mishap. I was taught to always replace cotter pins, never re-use them. They are cheap, you can buy a whole sorted box of them for less than $5. Pick some up next time you are at Harbor Freight, tool sale or swap meet.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                            We were on a relatively smooth part of the road and stopped as soon as we heard the noise. There was not much time to bounce and not much damage to the tie rod end.
                            Good deal.

Comment

If your cotter pins are old and/or reused, replace them with new.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X