Smyder Motor Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smyder Motor Sales

Was doing the Sat night Cruise-In in Vestal, NY (upstate) when I found this Lark. The dealer decal on the trunk was for Smyder Motor Sales Mercedes-Benz. Their web site shows them to be a Gravely dealer in Alachua, Florida. I'm going to include this little rat rod as my gratuious Studebaker content in this months AACA newsletter but I'd like to know more about Smyders. I'm printing it Monday morning and they are closed till then. It all makes sense, Studebakers, Mercedes and Gravelys, but I was hoping this group could provide something interesting about Smyders right now.

Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Thanks, the name is now on the list..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

What makes you jump to the conclusion that Smyder's was also a Studebaker dealer (just because of the Studebaker & M-B connection?)? Many dealerships sold used Studebakers and put their names on them.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi, I just ran across this thread while searching for information about my family. I am the third generation of the Smyder Motor family and we do have the Gravely dealer in Florida now. My grandfather and father along with some other family operated the dealership in PA up until the early 70's when everbody moved to Florida. Over the years they had numerous car lines including Packard, Rambler, DKW, Studebaker, Mercedes, and Datsun. Near the end they operated Mercedes and Datsun as there main car lines. After they moved to Florida they got back in the car business and had a Volkswagen dealership and a Ford dealership along with some other businesses including the Gravely dealership we still operate today. It was great to come across a original dealer sticker on a Studebaker. If the OP has any other pics or if anybody else has any other info on Smyder Motors I would love to see it and would be glad to answer any questions. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gregsmy View Post
          Hi, I just ran across this thread while searching for information about my family. I am the third generation of the Smyder Motor family and we do have the Gravely dealer in Florida now. My grandfather and father along with some other family operated the dealership in PA up until the early 70's when everbody moved to Florida. Over the years they had numerous car lines including Packard, Rambler, DKW, Studebaker, Mercedes, and Datsun. Near the end they operated Mercedes and Datsun as there main car lines. After they moved to Florida they got back in the car business and had a Volkswagen dealership and a Ford dealership along with some other businesses including the Gravely dealership we still operate today. It was great to come across a original dealer sticker on a Studebaker. If the OP has any other pics or if anybody else has any other info on Smyder Motors I would love to see it and would be glad to answer any questions. Thanks
          Welcome to the SDC Forum and thanks for the interesting information.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What PA city was the dealership in and your Grandfathers first name?
            thx
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hi, They had moved a few times, but the main dealership was in Greensburg, PA. They where also a Land Rover dealer as well and American Motors when every thing was changing around. My grandfathers first name was George.

Comment

Working...
              X