PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Locksmith In The House?

LarkTruck
05-02-2013, 06:22 PM
This will probably be moved, but I thought I would ask here. Do we have anyone here or in SDC that is a Locksmith? I need to have some Stude door & ign. & glove box & console locks re-keyed.
My local guy retired, and the other guys in the area don't seem too thrilled about messing with old car stuff.
Jim

Studedude
05-02-2013, 06:25 PM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/member.php?112-shiva

LarkTruck
05-02-2013, 06:41 PM
That was fast. Is this fellow still around? His last forum activity was last Oct.
Jim

Studedude
05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
That was fast. Is this fellow still around? His last forum activity was last Oct.
Jim
As far as I know, he's still active as a locksmith/Studefan, he just doesn't participate as much as he used to. Nice fellow, always helpful. Shoot him an email with your needs, chances are he'll respond.

Rocket442
05-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Im no locksmith but i made a key for my Hawk in just a few minuets. Im not saying to attempt this but this is what i did. Pull out one door lock, put it in a vice to hold it with the pin side up as small springs are inside along with the lock pins, take your time to pry the door open so it will go back on with ease. Dont lose the order of the pins make a note of the sizes just in case, have the size order recorded. Get a few blank uncut keys i found one at the Home depot and you need a small file. Stick the uncut key in you will see the lock pins and how the lock works, now all you have to do is file the key so all pins are the same height, take your time filing the key as it will cut very fast. check to see if the key works on the other locks. if so put the springs back in and the door/cover back on, if the cover wont stay on zip tie it or wire. If the other locks wont open keep tuning in the key. remember some locks could have been changed out. Now go get copys and hide one somewhere on the car. On my gmc truck thats mostly off road i pulled all the pins out but one.

hawk58man
05-03-2013, 02:58 PM
LarkTruck,yes I am. Please PM me with what you need. I do Lock and Key work on Studebakers.. Mike..

StudeRich
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
You sure have a LOT of locks LarkTruck, you must have an Avanti. The Glove and Console should be the same and Ignition and Doors, so all may not need to be keyed.

jnormanh
05-03-2013, 04:02 PM
A good locksmith can make a new key without taking anything apart, in a few minutes. He knows how to insert a blank in the lock and twist it so the tumblers leave a mark. He can then file the blank to fit.

LarkTruck
05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
You sure have a LOT of locks LarkTruck, you must have an Avanti. The Glove and Console should be the same and Ignition and Doors, so all may not need to be keyed.

You are correct Rich, several Avanti projects needing keys.
Jim