PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Swap Weather Forecast

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-02-2013, 07:55 AM
We often attend the spring meet which always enables me to pickup those last minute parts for my cars. More often than not the weather sucks. We are coming down in the Hawk to the possibility of rain showers when the outlook for weather at home is fabulous for the entire weekend.

Just venting. :mad:

Allen

warrlaw1
05-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm leaving today, in the 55 Allen. See ya down there.

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-02-2013, 08:16 AM
My Hawk sucks in the rain, TT gear ratio too low, engine to powerful to even consider driving it down at this point. I am taking my Focus and will have to be happy looking at Navigation screen with the Avanti R2 background. :(

Allen

warrlaw1
05-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Well, if you see me on the 401, wave. I hate the Ambassador Bridge but once I get past Detroit it's all clear. Cheers.

tjanowia
05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
The forecast this morning on the news was a slight chance of intermittent showers and about average temperatures. Not supposed to be a washout but who believes Weathermen.

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-02-2013, 09:11 AM
The Weather Channel calls for 1-5 mm everyday with clearing on Sunday. Zero Sunshine for days. Not a washout by any means, but that miserable light rain, mist and slippery roads in my Hawk. Totally sucks when I have spent the last few days prepping the Hawk for the show and the weather forecast looked good until last night. Does not help when I need to change the gaskets on both front and rear glass to avoid getting my floors and trunk wet. I was also planning on getting new tires at the Tire Rack Warehouse on Friday to avoid fishtailng on the road when I do get caught in the rain. I'm bummed because South Bend = Studebaker's for me and I hate going there in a X brand car.

Allen

warrlaw1
05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Wanna ride with me? I'm leaving Barrie at noon.

BobWaitz
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM
It snowed here yesterday. Rain doesn't sound so bad to me.

warrlaw1
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
5 Minutes to blast off!

unclemiltie
05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
It was nice here this afternoon, much cooler tonight, the Studebaker's with blue stuff coming out the tail pipes will hopefully chase away the rain that is forecasted

Milaca
05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
I drove in snowfall for two hours when driving through Wisconsin today, I've never seen so many automobiles in a ditch! Strangest of all was seeing a 1950 Ford pickup in the median in deep snow with highway patrol caution tape wrapped around it. Encountered some rain in Illinois which washed the salt off of my F-150. Hope tomorrow is dry for the swap meet.

tjanowia
05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Forecast is sounding much better for now anyway. Sixty eight and no rain for Saturday.

COMMANDERPINK1
05-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Will be leaving early on Friday for SB, buddy thats coming along lives in the Northern center of Iowa got 7" of snow overnight and lost power. We have wind and rain at 37 degrees, of 6 tonight he says he is still going, hope the weather doesnt follow us.
Tom

t walgamuth
05-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Looks like I am going to get a late start because my friend's wagonaire is in the middle of getting new valve seals and is not expected to be finished until 11 tomorrow. I have to stop in Plymouth to get my new autocross tires so It'll be late afternoon before I get to South Bend. At least the fairgrounds are on the south side.

1952stude
05-03-2013, 05:05 PM
It was good day at South Bend NO RAIN!!!!!!!

Lark8girl
05-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Lark VIII girl and I are all ready to leave Sat Am.

If you see Lark VIII girl, give her a Shout Out!

husband of Lark VIII girl

Deaf Mute
05-03-2013, 09:32 PM
BEAUTIFUL DAY TODAY (Friday) looks good for tomorrow as well!
COME AND BUY... I need gas money to get home!

s2d63lark
05-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Well, if you see me on the 401, wave. I hate the Ambassador Bridge but once I get past Detroit it's all clear. Cheers.

Dave, I realize this is a little late but take it under consideration for next time. When I lived in Mississauga I went to South Bend via the 402 and the Sarnia/Port Huron Bluewater Bridge instead of Windsor/Detroit. No hassle with the Windsor-Essex-Parkway construction and endless number of traffic lights before the bridge. It is 402-Bridge-I-69 straight through to I-80 in Indiana. Time wise it was the same regardless of route picked.

Now that I live in Essex, I'm kind of stuck with the Ambassador Bridge.

Doug

JoeHall
05-03-2013, 10:15 PM
My son and I left yesterday (Thursday) eve in the 56J, and arrived in SB at 9AM this morning, after spending last night in a motel in Kokomo. We stayed at SB till around 4PM, then headed home, and just pulled into the garage a few minutes ago. All tolled, we traveled 661 miles in the 56J, and MPG was a little over 20. It woulda been around 600, but we drove an extra 60 miles to help my bro-in-law change a flat tire on his 46 Stude pick-up (long story).

No rain to speak of, other than around Kokomo this evening.

It was great doing the usual tire kicking, telling lies, and bargain hunting. Also got to chat with several of our news-groupers: Bo Markham, Bob Peterson, Jim Turner, JimJim, etc.. This morning, I knew it was gonna be a great day, when pulling into a McDonald's about 25 miles south of SB. I heard someone call my name, looked around and saw Bob Palma and Jim Turner walking across the parking lot!

I did not see, "Vic, the glass guy", and do not believe he had a booth there this time. I hope he is OK, but have not heard an update since he had a stroke a few months ago. My son missed him too. He has became one of my sons' favorite Studebaker friends.

Deaf Mute
05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Vic was not here... but they made the announcement on the PA that the shop was open and his son was doint the work. Lat time I called, a month or so afo the phone seemed disconnected. I have not tried it since.
I'd expect to see a note in his Turning Wheels ad.

DieselJim
05-04-2013, 04:25 PM
The Weather Channel calls for 1-5 mm everyday with clearing on Sunday. Zero Sunshine for days. Not a washout by any means, but that miserable light rain, mist and slippery roads in my Hawk. Totally sucks when I have spent the last few days prepping the Hawk for the show and the weather forecast looked good until last night. Does not help when I need to change the gaskets on both front and rear glass to avoid getting my floors and trunk wet. I was also planning on getting new tires at the Tire Rack Warehouse on Friday to avoid fishtailng on the road when I do get caught in the rain. I'm bummed because South Bend = Studebaker's for me and I hate going there in a X brand car.

Allen

Spoke to Allen this morning. Thanked him for leaving his Hawk home as we a partly sunney day with no rain. He was not a happy camper.

warrlaw1
05-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Allen was in good spirits in spite of no Hawk. I had a glitch at Woodstock, hole in a fuel line. After a double baconator burger, sucking on a fuel line left a bad taste in my mouth (lol). Zooming towards Windsor a Mercedes drop top pulled along side and it was a Canadian TV star with his pretty girlfriend (Pawnathon Canada is a Pawn Stars clone). He gave me the thumbs up and raced off. Almost hit a deer on the Ohio turnpike at dusk. Made it into South Bend about 10 PM Thursday night and went up and down 31 North looking for my doggie friendly motel. No luck in the dark. Found a worse place further out. Next day I looked in daylight and it had been torn down! DOH! Found the Pancake house on Ironwood for a great breakfast (they had a Studebaker Service sign on the wall). Pulled into the fairgrounds and parked the 55K. Found Bob Petersen (and my manifold, aircleaner and "Speedster" caps) and sampled some treats from the Starlite cafe. My dog, Jane Doe, made lots of friends. Those ladies are all volunteers and make you feel very welcome. Found Phil Harris and grabbed a back up fuel pump. Boarded the indoor bus and found a back up 6V generator. Met so many Stude folk I only knew by forum names. Spent four hours getting the bugs off my car. Windex and terry towels did the job. Was looking for the S.I. event at 5:00 pm and followed two Avantis, but they took me to the Museum. At least I found that location. Went up and down 31 'til I spotted a nice green LandCruiser and followed that right to S.I., had a pizza from the Rolling Stonebaker and picked up some engine paint and gaskets. Back to the motel. Locals crowded around the car "My dad worked at Studebaker". "Best thing that ever came out of South Bend" "Love ya man, and love that car". Spent Saturday on the show field, talked to George Krem, Brent (Milaca), Phil Harris, Ted and Mary Harbit, Jim Turner and a host of others, all with great advice. Watched the judging and the junior judges (mine was display, only. Too much dog hair on the seats and drivability mods to be a show car :) Lots of nice people and compliments, anyway. Toured the field - lots of gorgeous cars and trucks. Packed my parts and said goodbye to Bob Petersen. Free CandB tee-shirt! drove straight back to Detroit, hit the Beer Store in Windsor and took the 401 to Toronto then the 400 north. Car was running good, 45 miles from home and I had a half tank of gas, so I decided to tromp on it. Zippidy Doo, was home by 11:00 pm. Great trip! When I was building my car over the last five years I was looking forward to taking it home to South Bend after 58 years in the wilderness. I did it! Scratch another one off the bucket list. What a hoot! 23583

warrlaw1
05-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Doug, I go by Sarnia for the PSMCDRs in Stanton, Michigan. Much better than Detroit. This time I looked at both and there was a difference in distance so I went through Detroit. It went pretty quickly, crossed about 6 PM on a Thursday night, no line ups. I'll go through Sarnia / Port Huron in Septemeber. Cheers.

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I thought I should chime in. So much for the weather network,....we did not see a single drop of rain the entire weekend! Moral of the story don't believe the midwest weatherman!

On the upside of not driving a Studebaker when you know and see a lot of great people:

I woke up early Friday morn to a bright sunny morning, left my girl sleeping in bed with the Focus in the host hotel parking lot, and grabbed a coffee. Sat down with Nelson Bove and Malcolm Berry and asked if I could get a ride to the swap meet. Malcolm offered me a ride in his 1963 R2 Wagonaire but he was going to be a few more minutes so I sat down and watched Michael Myer drive by in his truck hauling a nice 63 Wagonaire for sale. Made me think I might miss Malcolm so I went out to the parking lot to chat and wait for him. Nelson said to me that he spoke with Malcolm and that he would take me to the swap in his 1964 Hot Rod magazine R3! Nels just finished working on the R3 engine and told me he had to take it easy during the break-in period. The tone of that engine is fabulous with it's rumble as we headed east and approached Ironside to go north to the fairgrounds. We made the turn onto Ironside and Nels broke her loose, WOW! what a treat, which absolutely made my weekend.

Another beautiful evening in South Bend was Saturday night. I was driving Michael Myers 1962 Lark convertible to dinner and the return home to the hotel, someone designated me the DD. Marvelous GM transmission conversion in that car with great shifting. That conversion really made me think about my convertible project but realize it is much too late to go another route from the powershift I am installing.

Much thanks to Michiana Chapter, the friends we have met and to all the vendors that supplied parts this fabulous weekend.

Alllen