Museum Wagonaire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum Wagonaire ?

I think this car is owned by the Museum in SB . I had heard that they were going to put it on ebay....sure is a disappointment though .http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item35c71fdb92
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Wow. If anyone buys this, I've got a solid Wagonaire frame you could have for free.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I can see why they don't want it.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well the museum has done nothing with it. The cost to do a ground up restoration would be expen$ive.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I believe that one belonged to Harold Churchill. I would look over the build sheet before tossing it aside as a parts car.

Craig

Comment

It looks like the same one. This is the view that I got from last year at the International....

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

That is a very good example of how bad a mildly rusted East Coast rust bucket can be.

What a shame that IS a Beautiful car, if they were not honest about the bottom, and door posts etc. someone would be sadly disappointed!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I think the photos spell out just how rusty this thing is. I know it's more than I'd ever wanna tackle.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My Commander is worse. Parts are available. It's the labor involved...

Is that Brown?
                  Last edited by Swifster; 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                    My Commander is worse. Parts are available. It's the labor involved...Is that Brown?
                    Sure it's Brown, Bermuda Brown Metallic, the same as a '64 like the Plain Brown Wrapper.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm with Craig...I am almost certain that when I first saw that car in the old SNM, the display card said "Donated by Josephine Churchill". Funny that the ad doesn't mention that.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        I'm with Craig...I am almost certain that when I first saw that car in the old SNM, the display card said "Donated by Josephine Churchill". Funny that the ad doesn't mention that.
                        Ad states: "Previously owned by the Harold Churchill family."
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Word on the street is The Churchill family is not happy this car is up for auction. They feel that because of its previous owner it would be a worthy project for the museum.Thats why they donated it instead of just selling it to anyone. Whoever gets it would have a neat piece of history if they were to restore this one.

Comment

The 52 I bought from the museum was just as bad. Worse in fact for trim, engine, and interior. I don't think it was owned by anyone as special as Churchill, but I have to believe that whom ever donated it didn't expect it to be later sold. Still, the museum did get my hard earned money for it, and we can assume it was used in appropriate ways.

I wonder if it was a mistake listing the car at no reserve. With a reserve price, they could insure that only someone who understood the churchill connection would pony up for the thing.

Then again maybe they are just tired of it rusting all over the basement floor.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              Ad states: "Previously owned by the Harold Churchill family."
                              Yes it does, my mistake. I'd have made that a more prominent part of the ad.

The car looks nice, a Daytona in a color I like. I'm not aware that they have any other Wagonaires in the SNM (besides the Brooks Stevens prototypes). I realize it's a daunting restoration, but those rusty areas really don't show in a museum display.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X