Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Order questions

A few basic questions:

The sheet says Trim Codes varied from year to year. Where can I find the information to decode the #14 code information? The manual?

This car had the cigar lighter. What is the difference between the cigarette and cigar lighter?
    Sort of related, I saw a thread on HAMB the other day about the draw cigarette lighter from Studebaker, with an ad from a 1930s or 40s interior. Anyone have one of these? It was interesting to read that in the 30s anyway, they saw smoking as something that was hazardous to safe operation of a motor vehicle. How times changed after then.... The person posting the photos about his was from Sweden.

Also, was there just the P6 designation for the Regal trim, or was there additional code information about that?
    When were the chrome taillight shields put on Regal cars, was that a standard part of the package or were they optional items added at the owners' request? I thought that they were a standard part of the Regal trim package.

No Twin Traction. Crap. It's interesting that it originally had the passenger only head rest. Not that that was kept after all this time and at least the one reupholstering.

Thank you.

The "Draw-matic" cigarette lighter installed in my '51 experienced some use until two years ago.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Your wagon's exterior color is White Sand? The standard upholstery for a P6 would be 747 BRV (Brown Vinyl). Does that sound like yours? Those order codes I think are only in the Dealer Fact Book.
      I don't why the auto industry used the term 'cigar' lighter. More formal maybe? Later they were just called what they are, a cigarette lighter.
      Here's some pics of tail light lenses. I think you may be seeing the '61 lenses....
      1686084 TAIL LAMP LENS TRUCK,1320915 TAIL LAMP LENS HAWK 1957-1961,1336251 TAIL LAMP LENS SEDAN 1960,1336251 TAIL LAMP LENS SET SEDAN 1960,1338887 TAIL LAM

Looking at your photos in another post, I see the wagon has a blue interior. If it came from the factory that way, then the upholstery code would be 727 BLV.
      It looks like brown windlace in the photos, so I'm not certain what this car has going.
      Last edited by Dwain G.; 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM. Reason: corrected data
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Both of my '64's are missing the elements. As I don't smoke, I guess I'll get the caps to cover them. I might put modern one under the dash so I can use a cell phone charger or a GPS.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The Lighter in the Dash should work fine for modern junk.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            Your wagon's exterior color is White Sand? The standard upholstery for a P6 would be 747 BRV (Brown Vinyl). Does that sound like yours? Those order codes I think are only in the Dealer Fact Book.
            I don't why the auto industry used the term 'cigar' lighter. More formal maybe? Later they were just called what they are, a cigarette lighter.
            Here's some pics of tail light lenses. I think you may be seeing the '61 lenses....
            1686084 TAIL LAMP LENS TRUCK,1320915 TAIL LAMP LENS HAWK 1957-1961,1336251 TAIL LAMP LENS SEDAN 1960,1336251 TAIL LAMP LENS SET SEDAN 1960,1338887 TAIL LAM

Looking at your photos in another post, I see the wagon has a blue interior. If it came from the factory that way, then the upholstery code would be 727 BLV.
            It looks like brown windlace in the photos, so I'm not certain what this car has going.
            The car was repainted relatively recently White Sand. It was originally Gulfstream Blue and the #14 code I'm guessing now was 727 BLV Blue Vinyl? Is there somewhere that describes what that entails, trim and seat colors?

As you can see in my album, the seats (and headliner) appear a Bahama Blue-like color, but I only see that color listed as an exterior color. Is there a location describing interior fabrics and colors? Was there a typical blue on blue color scheme listed somewhere? I'm assuming that is in the manual? I have noticed the different door panel designs on a page in the manuals, but that is in black and white, of course.

Eh, the windlace. Well, it's original and toast. That's not brown, but the original padding material showing through sun fried light blue windlace material Since they had the headliner off, it would have been nice if they'd popped in the windlace, but, a nice headliner is more important than nice windlace and there are fudges around the windlace replacement.

Interesting about the taillight lenses. Apparently I had looked at a 1961 at some time that had a description as a Regal, I noticed the taillights and assumed they were a Regal element. Not a problem, just a point of education it seems. The dash was recovered but just a plain padding. Only the knobs, the grille surround, and knee pads are there from the Regal features it seems.

Comment

I believe that he may be referring to the "chrome" ring around the 1960 Lark tail light lenses that Regal models used.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is there somewhere to access information in the Dealer Fact Book? That sounds like it could be interesting, but I don't think I've heard about them being discussed yet.

You may be right about the lighters. I partly asked because it says cigar lighter on the order, but in the sheet that comes with the Production Order it lists a cigarette lighter with a different accessory number (I believe). It appears no different than any other cigarette lighter than I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I believe that he may be referring to the "chrome" ring around the 1960 Lark tail light lenses that Regal models used.
                  That was only on '59 models - not '60s
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    That was only on '59 models - not '60s
                    Thank you for the correction - my memory slipped a year <G>.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      The taillight photo that Dwain linked to was what I had come to assume was a Regal trim add on. Can't say how I came to link the two, maybe I saw a sideview of a 61 Regal at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                        The taillight photo that Dwain linked to was what I had come to assume was a Regal trim add on. Can't say how I came to link the two, maybe I saw a sideview of a 61 Regal at some point?
                        Be aware that those '61 lenses will not fit a 59-60 taillight body.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you for the warning. I wasn't going to try to add them, but that would be a logical next step with my questions wouldn't it? I was only interested in them, in case they were part of the Regal thing.

As it is, it's more important for me to go for the big dash feature that didn't get replaced after the reupholstering, the Regal padded dash and silver trimmed knee pads!! They did a decent job with the recovering, but it's just a simple Deluxe padding. Someone did try to do the knee pads, and they made a decent effort, but the only portion with the silver trim added was the replacement ashtray someone picked up which came with it, it looks like. There is padding from the drivers' side to the ashtray. The portion over the passenger knees is missing.

I probably will have to wait, but I would like to obtain a pair of headrests at some point.

Comment

On a Production Order "Cigar" is probably just a shortening of Cigarette.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

That makes as much sense as anything it seems. Between here and my mechanic who's a Studebaker/Packard mechanic, if there isn't a clear answer, yours seems to be a reasonable one. It just struck me as 'different' with the PO saying cigar, but the list of accessories mentioned with the PO paperwork referring to a cigarette lighter. I'm just glad I have the doohickey and not the silver plug. Of course, I haven't tried it to see if it works or is hooked up, but it would find use as a phone charger or iPod juice port if it does...and if it doesn't, I guess I'll have to get it to work after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X