Just a progress report on my '63 Daytona's crossmember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Just a progress report on my '63 Daytona's crossmember

I have a line on one already, but I'll be taking this one to the May meet for comparison purposes. If you're looking for a 59-64 Lark V8 LHC crossmember, this is what it looks like. This is the one that came out of the car, and it really does need to be replaced:

The circular bits of metal are the actual floors in the car. When it came down, it took whatever rusty bits along with it, so new sections of floor will need to be replaced. They don't do much, except provide support for the ends of the body. The lion's share of the work comes from the 8 fine threaded bolts that hang the crossmember from under the frame rails,and those are solid.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Couldn't you just cut the bottom of that off, sand blast the top and build and weld on a new bottom plate for less than what it would cost for a used crossmember. Plus then you would know what you have.

Comment

It's something that I could do, but it's really better to find a crossmember that is all one piece, than to mess with an important structural component like this that needs to be patched and welded back together again. As an aside, I don't have a sandblaster, I have wire wheel brushes that chuck into the end of a drill.
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
      X