Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invite to coffee with former Stude dealer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invite to coffee with former Stude dealer.

Barrie had a Studebaker dealership back in the day, now the local Toyota dealer. Jackson Motors is now Jackson Toyota. Cruising the streets I attract a bit of attention. I contacted Jackson Toyota on Fbook and asked if they might have any Stude literature. Bob Jackson graciously replied, liked my car and said he treasures his Studebaker memorabilia and invited me for coffee and a chat. Too cool! What would you ask a former Stude dealer if you had the opportunity?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    Barrie had a Studebaker dealership back in the day, now the local Toyota dealer. Jackson Motors is now Jackson Toyota. Cruising the streets I attract a bit of attention. I contacted Jackson Toyota on Fbook and asked if they might have any Stude literature. Bob Jackson graciously replied, liked my car and said he treasures his Studebaker memorabilia and invited me for coffee and a chat. Too cool! What would you ask a former Stude dealer if you had the opportunity?
    Very cool! The numbers are dwindling, that's for sure.

I had a sort-of similar situation twenty-five or so years ago. I was born in '58 and remembered where the local Stude dealer was and the name of the place. When I joined SDC in '86 I bought a roster. Looking through Ohio (where I lived then and now), I came across the exact name of the dealer in my hometown in PA! Figured it had to be him. I wrote him a polite letter, and we've had a long and enjoyable friendship ever since.

I think the first thing I asked my dealer friend was, "What'd you do with your parts?", followed by, "Do you remember the last new Stude you sold?", and "Were you angered by it?" and "Did you see it coming?".

(His answers were, 'IIRC the dealer agreement was that we could send either parts or unsold cars back, so we sent unsold parts back although we weren't ordering much by that time as saw the writing on the wall'; 'no' (although the SNM archives informed me of that car, a Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser with white vinyl interior); 'Yes', and 'Yes'.)
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

I would ask him to see the stuff !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I'll ask if he doesn't mind me bringing a camera. Just had a Honda pull into the parking lot beside my Stude. Lady says my son just loves cars and her six year old jumped out. I said "Can you say Studebaker?" he looked at me and blurted out "Looks like a Hudson Hornet!" The kid loves cars (lol).

Comment

Bills Pressler's article in Turning Wheels about his hometown dealer was excellent. I later interviewed another former Pennsylvania Studebaker dealer and my article about it appeared in the May, 2005 Turning Wheels. You might ask your contact when he got started with Studebaker, what his best sales years were, who his biggest competitors were, did he stay with Studebaker to the end in 1966, any favorite years or models, any special cars he sold that he recalls, and things like that. Also, his opinion of what should have been done differently by the corporation that could have helped sales. He will have many stories to share with you, no doubt.

Dave Bonn
          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Dave Bonn's suggestions are good ones. One I can think of is: "did he ever have or sell any Avanti Powered Studebakers or full package Super Larks/Hawks"?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Dave Bonn's suggestions are good ones. One I can think of is: "did he ever have or sell any Avanti Powered Studebakers or full package Super Larks/Hawks"?
              Dave's article was excellent, and I wished I had set mine up with Q&A as Dave did!

I agree with Rich on the 'Avanti Powered Studes' question. My dealer friend sold exactly...one! '64 Cruiser R2 with the complete package--one of two per the TW. He sold it to his Service Manager; not exactly a 'conquest sale'! LOL
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

While living in Naples we met a couple from Red Wing MN at a car show. Don and Fran Worden were parked next to us and we became acquainted while at the show. In Florida their hobby car was a 1965 Rambler American cnvt., but in MN they had a Studebaker(s) and were members of the North Star Chapter. They invited us to their home for lunch and Don showed us a lot of Studebaker memorabilia. Worden-Crandall Co. eventually became a Toyota dealership. Very fine people and I was sorry to learn that Don who was a WWII veteran has passed away.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Cool. I'll try to talk with him and take some pictures. Thank you all for the suggestions. He was out of the Stude business when I bought my first 55 (1976?). If there had been a local Stude dealer I might still have that one

Comment

Working...
                  X