Studebaker workers back on the line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker workers back on the line

In preparation of the tour of the body plant we have contacted about two dozen Studebaker employees who worked there and were ecstatic to share their memories and help us in preserving automotive history. Some have even agreed to assist in the tour itself on Friday, May third starting at ten at The Union Station just north of building 84. We are doing a preliminary walkthrough this Friday to locate their work stations and meet fellow Studebaker workers they haven't seen in 50 years and refresh memories. Studebaker Club members and guest will have first chance at tours and public will be invited as time permits and a ten dollar donation would be appreciated which will go to charity. If anyone has any questions for the group pertaining to the body plant please let me know and it will be presented to the group and I'll get back to you. I hope everyone is as excited as these gentlemen. We will be touring the third, fifth and look into the sixth floor and then going on the roof weather permitting. Hope you can make it and if anyone has access to video equipment or recording ideas please let me know. Fifty year anniversary of closing this year. Hope to see or hear from you. Tim
    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM.

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
    In preparation of the tour of the body plant we have contacted about two dozen Studebaker employees who worked there and were ecstatic to share their memories and help us in preserving automotive history. Some have even agreed to assist in the tour itself on Friday, May third starting at ten at The Union Station just north of building 84. We are doing a preliminary walkthrough this Friday to locate their work stations and meet fellow Studebaker workers they haven't seen in 50 years and refresh memories. Studebaker Club members and guest will have first chance at tours and public will be invited as time permits and a ten dollar donation would be appreciated which will go to charity. If anyone has any questions for the group pertaining to the body plant please let me know and it will be presented to the group and I'll get back to you. I hope everyone is as excited as these gentlemen. We will be touring the third, fifth and look into the sixth floor and then going on the roof weather permitting. Hope you can make it and if anyone has access to video equipment or recording ideas please let me know. Fifty year anniversary of closing this year. Hope to see or hear from you. Rim
    Thanks again so much for setting this up and taking the time to find the actual employees that were involved.

As I will be driving four hours or so to get there by 10 AM, could you post the address of the meeting place so I can put it into my GPS and find the location with minimal angst.

Thanks again, Bob

Comment

Wish I could be there!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Can't find the address right now but is across the street to the south of Coveleski Stadium home of the Silver Hawks, don't know why they aren't the Golden Hawks, but will find out the address and get back.

Comment

The only thing I have to offer is this. 1963 is LONG GONE. IT's FIFTY YEARS later and technology has taken unbelievable leaps forward. There is simply NO reason that this "tour" and the commentary of these old workers can't be very ably recorded - for the likes of me - for posterity. There's a bunch of us that for whatever reason can not attend this tour. But there's NO good reason we can't be there after the fact. Besides that, imagine trhe recollections of these ex-workers ending up in the Studebaker museum. Hell, I'd provide a digital camera if that's what it takes!
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I totally agree this needs to be documented and after checking it would be thousands to have this done professionally and have all ready spent more of my own money on this than a retired firefighter can afford. Let's figure something out and do it. I have been trying to find sponsors but no bites yet.

Comment

a few "amateurs" with whatever recording equipment they have would be better than nothing!!! i'm sure some folks here on the forum with the capabilities, would step up to "edit" all recordings together for a great show!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hell, I'll loan you a camera, that while not of professional quality, should be adequate to record this tour well enough so that we can all hear the recollections of these ex-employees. Anyone else wanna pitch in for sundry items to facilitate this endeavor? Geez, you'd THINK that a local TV station would JUMP at the chance to get a look back at what once was the lefe-blood of South Bend.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Wow, that's going to be a great day! I'm jealous. I wish I could be there with everyone, particularly the old timers who worked at the plant.
                  Have a great time.
                  I hope someone will post photos to record this significant event.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Is there anyone willing to organize the recording of this possibly with the SDC, club member or whatever. This is basically being done by three or four inexperienced club members. Due to the Crossroads Meet going on at the same time help is spread very thin and logistics of a project of this magnitude is unimaginable, getting access to the building, locating and interviewing 70- 90 year old gentlemen preparing the tour and all else is more of a project than I would wish on anyone but I feel should have been done by someone years ago. Some of these guys even stated they wish to share their knowledge before they pass. We have gotten some great pictures from the Museum, help from Ed Reynolds and Bob Henning took care of the insurance with Jane Stinson and the Tribune has been involved as this progresses among others who have helped which is greatly appreciated.Please realize we are overwhelmed and any help by Club members or anyone else will definitely be accepted.Hope we can figure a way to share this with everyone. As far as I'm considered it should be in the Museum archives and on National News. Thanks, Tim

Comment

Just got another call, middle elevator operator will be there. So far all six floors will be represented us man who unloaded car parts from train on dock.

Comment

Just got another confirmation, one of the last workers who worked from 1949-67 will attend.

Comment

How about getting the local T.V. station involved? They could video it professionally & use the footage for a special documentary in the local market. Dave Arnold would probably know who to contact.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Is there a gentleman named Rod Boothe - who has made Studebaker meet videos in the past? I think he is 'local' to the Kansas City area - but I do not have his contact information. Someone might approach him with the 'opportunity' to do this.

Drew

Comment

I'm not wealthy by anyone's standards (unless maybe you ask someone who calls a cardboard box: "home"), but I could chip in a few bucks to cover some legitimate costs that might come up. Heck, I'd buy a DVD of just these old gents recounting their times working for Studebaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X