Unusual Studebaker Items #6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Studebaker Items #6

While child-proof rear door locks are commonplace now and were a fairly common accessory on late Larks (where the lock merely replaced the rear door lock buttons), these are different.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Looking at the diagram, it's very interesting how this lock is installed and functions. The releasing of this 'rear door safety lock' when the front door is opened feature is simple.... yet effective!

Comment

WOW!!! I always wondered how that was done, now I know. Thanks for sharing. KISS formula in action!!!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Dad had those on our '48 Land Crusier. Couldn't get out until the front door was opened.

Comment

I installed a set on our '47 Champion about 1980, and still have them. They gave us a better feeling of security back in the day when we were travelling with four small children.
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Looking at the diagram, it's very interesting how this lock is installed and functions. The releasing of this 'rear door safety lock' when the front door is opened feature is simple.... yet effective!
            Pretty clever, but it would only work on "suicide doors" so I guess that is why they went to the button style after '52.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Betcha a donut that this would still sell well today to the street rod crowd when marketed to the suicide door coupe crowd
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thank God Studebaker was on the ball safety wise!
                Remember our neighbor's 52 Plymouth's door flying open while making a fast left hand turn!
                I almost ended up on the sidewalk or worst!
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                X