Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people would like to have a full flow block for next project??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people would like to have a full flow block for next project??

My question to the people of the forum is how many people going to South Bend swap meet willing to pay $350.00 for a good full flow block and caps with free delivery to South Bend or along my route I-80???
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

So are you talking about a bare Block?
    Caps meaning Main Bearing Caps, but no Crank, Cam, Pistons, Heads etc.?

I can see how this or several of them would be much more "handle able" on a long trip than the other options like a Full Block.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK I know I'm sound stupid, but O'm still a little naive with stude tech. What do ,ean by full flow block, and how can I tell, are all 289's full flow. I feel dumb but I'm a little confused.

Comment

full flow blocks came around in the late 62 production (around april 62) to the closing of the foundry in 1964. They have the oil filter provision in the right rear of the block thus using a full flow oil filter rather than the filter that was optional before then which was mounted on the oil inlet tube & was a partial flow system.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          So are you talking about a bare Block?
          Caps meaning Main Bearing Caps, but no Crank, Cam, Pistons, Heads etc.?

I can see how this or several of them would be much more "handle able" on a long trip than the other options like a Full Block.
          Bare Block is one full flow cast iron metal block with the main bearing caps, nothing else and yes a block like this is a lot easier to handle and move around than a short block with crank, cam, pistons, oil pump, rods, push rods, lifters, pan and in some cases people call a short block with heads. I have the bare blocks and some room to haul back to the meet if people wanted them but if no interest then something else will go.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Will you possibly be up to bringing any to the SoCal, La Palma meet in a coupla months ?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
              OK I know I'm sound stupid, but O'm still a little naive with stude tech. What do ,ean by full flow block, and how can I tell, are all 289's full flow. I feel dumb but I'm a little confused.

I looks like my friend Warren has pretty much answered your newbie question. Except the part about "289"'s specifically.
              Most all Studebaker V8 Blocks are the same, they did not spend Millions tooling up a completely New Engine every time they wanted to change the cid of their Engines like Ford & GM did due to their VOLUME, they could afford it.

Studebaker was able to come out with one of only 3, maybe 4, US OHV V8's in 1951, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Studebaker and possibly Chrysler, may have had an OHV that early. Any way the design of the 1st. 3 are very similar.

The Original Studebaker V8 block displaced 232 cid from '51 to '54.

Then in 1955 the molds were slightly modified to produce the short stroke Commander 224 and President 259, later in the year the 259 replaced the 224 in the '55 Commander.

In 1956 they replaced the President 259 with a New longer stroke 289 for Presidents & Sky Hawks.

From 1956 to early 1962 these same 2 Engines were used with different Heads, valve covers, minor details, colors etc. and all had the option of a Fram Bi-pass type, partial flow Oil Filter on the top of the Engine.

So during all this time from 1955 to early 1962 those block molds did not significantly ever change, because remember they had changed the Crankshaft to get a 289 which required moving the wrist Pins in the Pistons to get the needed stroke, compression & resultant cid.

In late 1962 and continuing on to the end of 1964 model year production in South Bend and Canada similar Blocks continued to be produced but with the minor change of rerouting the Oil flow from the Oil Pump directly to the Full Flow Filter at the lower, Right, Rear of the block before going to the Main Bearings and all pressure oiled areas.

These Full Flow Blocks also were built as both 259 and 289 cid. for late '62 to 1964 year models.

For 1964 models a minor change was made to add "eye lashes" (groves) cut at the top of the bore for Valve clearance in a portion of the blocks to create the Limited Production Avanti and Jet Thrust 304.5 cid Ultra High Performance R3 & R4 Engines intended to be an option on all models. But the South Bend Plant closure cut that very short.

Sorry, one thing led to another so I could not just say, YES both 259 and 289 were Full Flow in late '62 & on without explaining why, I hope I did not bore you with the details. Consider yourself Stude. Engine educated now Daniel!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Will you possibly be up to bringing any to the SoCal, La Palma meet in a coupla months ? Mike
                Don't show up 'in a coupla months' or you will be a few weeks too late!!!

The show is on May 26th-
                six weeks and two days from now.

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

not much chance of going south in May since I will be going to South Bend end of this month and then when I get back I need to deliver a car and engine and what ever else he wants to Texas, but never say never.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    Don't show up 'in a coupla months' or you will be a few weeks too late!!!

The show is on May 26th-
                    six weeks and two days from now.

StudeDave '57
                    Even less! <G> I figure that at five weeks and two days from yesterday.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good to see the price of bare full-flow blocks going up. I sold one locally for $150.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Next year might be more but delivery has to be worth something.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I looks like my friend Warren has pretty much answered your newbie question. Except the part about "289"'s specifically.
                          Most all Studebaker V8 Blocks are the same, they did not spend Millions tooling up a completely New Engine every time they wanted to change the cid of their Engines like Ford & GM did due to their VOLUME, they could afford it.

Studebaker was able to come out with one of only 3, maybe 4, US OHV V8's in 1951, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Studebaker and possibly Chrysler, may have had an OHV that early. Any way the design of the 1st. 3 are very similar.

The Original Studebaker V8 block displaced 232 cid from '51 to '54.

Then in 1955 the molds were slightly modified to produce the short stroke Commander 224 and President 259, later in the year the 259 replaced the 224 in the '55 Commander.

In 1956 they replaced the President 259 with a New longer stroke 289 for Presidents & Sky Hawks.

From 1956 to early 1962 these same 2 Engines were used with different Heads, valve covers, minor details, colors etc. and all had the option of a Fram Bi-pass type, partial flow Oil Filter on the top of the Engine.

So during all this time from 1955 to early 1962 those block molds did not significantly ever change, because remember they had changed the Crankshaft to get a 289 which required moving the wrist Pins in the Pistons to get the needed stroke, compression & resultant cid.

In late 1962 and continuing on to the end of 1964 model year production in South Bend and Canada similar Blocks continued to be produced but with the minor change of rerouting the Oil flow from the Oil Pump directly to the Full Flow Filter at the lower, Right, Rear of the block before going to the Main Bearings and all pressure oiled areas.

These Full Flow Blocks also were built as both 259 and 289 cid. for late '62 to 1964 year models.

For 1964 models a minor change was made to add "eye lashes" (groves) cut at the top of the bore for Valve clearance in a portion of the blocks to create the Limited Production Avanti and Jet Thrust 304.5 cid Ultra High Performance R3 & R4 Engines intended to be an option on all models. But the South Bend Plant closure cut that very short.

Sorry, one thing led to another so I could not just say, YES both 259 and 289 were Full Flow in late '62 & on without explaining why, I hope I did not bore you with the details. Consider yourself Stude. Engine educated now Daniel!
                          Definetily did not bore me thanks for breaking it down, one more question, were all 1963/64 blocks full flow then?

Comment

Definetily did not bore me thanks for breaking it down, one more question, were all 1963/64 blocks full flow then?
                            Yes, along with some later '62 blocks.

FWIW, the '55-62 bypass filter blocks work just fine for stock or performance builds.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1994.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1679836Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2838.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1679837
                              On the right side of the block there will be an oil filter.
                              When I found this block, it had a bypass cover on it! I did not even know it was a full flow block at the time. I had to find the aluminum filer housing.

Comment

Working...
                              X