Production Order Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Order Puzzle

I am comparing the Production Record Copy production order (from SNM) for my 1964 Daytona 2dr hardtop to the Instrument Panel Copy that came with the car. At first I thought they might be from different cars, as there is no Serial Number on the Instrument Panel Copy and the accessories are different.

After further thought, it appears that it is the same car, but there was an A revision to the Order adding Items 63-71-72-77-X81 &87. The first thing that puzzles me is that the date written for the revision A is 1/9/63, but the original revision was 12/5/63. I am guessing someone made an error and the revision A was written on 1/9/64, probably after the original deal fell through. Was this a fairly common practice by Studebaker?

The second puzzle is how they removed the undercoating (#70) ;-) Actually, the car still has undercoating which seemed to do a good job of reducing rust over the years.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kenstude; 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM. Reason: Add graphics
    Ken Shuey

Mine is only a guess but I believe the original order (dated 12/5/63) was cancelled after Studebaker announced (on 12/7/63) they were closing South Bend. Since they already had a large inventory there they changed vehicles to conform to orders that were solid.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Kenstude View Post
      After further thought, it appears that it is the same car, but there was an A revision to the Order adding Items 63-71-72-77-X81 &87.
      The only one that confuses me somewhat is item #77, Twin Traction rear end. The rest of the items could have been ordered on a 'last minute' notification, and shipped in the trunk for the dealer to install, but that rear end would have had to been switched at the factory.

Craig

Comment

Working...
      X