No announcement yet.

59-62 Lark owners, I have a question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59-62 Lark owners, I have a question??

Yesterday was a real nice sunny day. So I was tooling around in My '59 Lark Vlll 2 Dr. Wagon and I noticed that under the dash (Below the radio) is a very cool little item. it's steel, about 14" long and 8" wide and has a recess for a cup the rest is flat for perhaps a Burger and fries. the plate area is attached to a shaped piece of 1/4" round stock bolted to the underside behind and under the dash, the whole assembly is able to rotate from the mount and where it attaches under the dash and also where the rod attaches to the plate. I haven't a picture yet but I'll get One today. I haven't ever seen One in a stude so I was wondering if it might be aftermarket. it's a neat little item.
    Patrick Sammon

That sounds pretty neat to have,I hope you intend to use it <G>. BUT do'nt expect the Girl on roller skates to bring you a 10 cent coke,like back in those days.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I do not believe it is a Studebaker Accessory. It must work a little bit like the Tissue Dispenser Acc.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Patrick,
        I have a '62 Lark 4-door sedan and I could not find anything like that on it. It sounds intriguing. I await the photography to get a better idea of what it looks like.

Ed Sallia
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Sounds cool. I hope there's some sort of name on it to identify and possibly locate other copies. I think I'd want to have one. Certainly, I'm interested in the photos.

Comment

It's been years since I saw one of those. Can't wait for the pics.
            1936 Dictator
            1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
            1953 Commander Regal HT
            1953 2R5 Pickup
            1947 M16 Truck
            1960 Lark VIII Convertible
            1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
            1962 Champ 7E5 no box
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 Lark VI 4 dr
            1963 GT Hawk R2
            1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

A not too common aftermarket accessory item from before the days when cars had multiple cup holders (most people did not drink or eat in their car, especially when it was moving).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hmm..interesting thought.
                When getting fast food, what do you do with the tripple extra large cup full of liquid to keep it from spilling all over at the first hard acceleration or corner...while driving a Studebaker..?

Good idea. I may look into doing something like that for the Conestoga I'm working on.

Thanks.

Mike

Comment

Wow, so the glove box lid was not enought?

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                    Wow, so the glove box lid was not enought?
                    As Gary said, in the Day that was plenty enough, who would ever think of Driving and Drinking?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a '61 Lark VIII. I know they changed the dash board after '60. I've spent enough hours under that dash that I can PROMISE you there isn't anything like you're describing under there. I wish there was. Sounds kinda cool. Those little indentations on the inside of the glove box door are about useless.

Comment

Like Rich said, back in the day, when you pulled in to a A&W or Eat 'n' Park, you were going out to eat. You sat there and ate; enjoyed the ambiance. Grabbing a meal and hitting the road was simply an alien notion. Enjoying life means taking the time to smell the ketchup and fries.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have pics but the format has changed again and I haven't been able to post them. But I find it very interesting that a recent post by LeoH, He was wondering about a mount under the dash in His lark that seemed to be part of the original under dash structure right above the emergency brake handle with three holes in a triangle pattern. Well guess where My under dash snack and beverage tray is mounted? Yup You guessed it. in that exact location, and the mount is defiantly an original piece of the dash bracing. The tray looks like it may have been chrome or painted Silver at One time. I'll try to get a few pics when I figure how to post them.
                          Patrick Sammon

Comment

It certainly wasn't on either of my '60 Larks, though as others have said, it sounds really cool.
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I was able to post One pic of the tray in My profile pics. It shows it extended under the dash but it will position in any configuration that the swiveling tray is allowed on the 8" swiveling arm that the tray is attached to. Take a look and leave a comment here. I wonder if it was a One Year only option. It certainly bolts right onto the permanent bracket that's right above the E brake mount.
                              Patrick Sammon

Comment

Working...
                              X