1951 Champion Business Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Champion Business Coupe

Hi, I have the Business Coupe here at home in California now and should be dropping a rebuilt engine in it this weekend if all goes well.

I have been looking for a usable Left side fender gravel guard with not much luck. I do have a pair of used guards for a 4-door that I bought just on the chance that they might be for a 2-door. The seller is not a Studebaker guy and picked these up with some other parts. They were just labeled '51 Champion and he did not know what style.

Someone will want them!

Anybody know where I can get a decent L side gravel guard? This car will not be a show vehicle, just a driver so I don't need a NOS perfect part. Just something not falling apart.

These seem to be rather rare seems like some enterprising person would explore reproducing them.

Thanks for your help. I will post more when I get the engine in and start driving it around.

Oh, for those "Bullet Nose" owners - Almost everyone that sees the car asks one of two things. "Is there a propeller that goes on the front?" and while pointing to the bullet nose, "Does that Light UP?" Of course I just say NO, but my guess is that these are the two most often asked questions on the '50 and '51 models.

Allen

Are you looking for a rubber one or a stainless one?
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

i've got a '51 business coupe that came to me with a "propeller bullet nose". i was told that they were "dealer installed", but others more knowledgeable state they were a after-market part.

Sdude's "famous '51" has the only one that lights up as far as i know - (it's on my "list" of things to do).

i finally got a pic up of the prop - but can't load Jon's car...

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-4-12 #1 Bullet.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1679767
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I have a 51 Business coupe a Q-4 model and it doesn't have any gravel guard at all.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

A rubber one. The right side while a bit aged from time is serviceable. The Left side has some pieces of rubber missing and is not in very good shape.

I suppose I could change them both to stainless, but finding two stainless guards has to be harder than finding one rubber one. Maybe not......

Allen

Comment

Allen, I'm sure I have a set of rubber gravel guards that came as extra parts when I purchased My '51 Commander coupe last year. I'll take a look. PM Me.
            Patrick Sammon

Comment

I only have an NOS right one -- (wouldn't you know) .. IMHO the rubber one are harder to find than stainless -- most just rubber ones rotted away
              John
              Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

I know I have one that's "serviceable", I just can't remember if it's a left or right.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Siekman View Post
                  Hi, I have the Business Coupe here at home in California now and should be dropping a rebuilt engine in it this weekend if all goes well.

Oh, for those "Bullet Nose" owners - Almost everyone that sees the car asks one of two things. "Is there a propeller that goes on the front?" and while pointing to the bullet nose, "Does that Light UP?" Of course I just say NO, but my guess is that these are the two most often asked questions on the '50 and '51 models.

Allen
                  Hi Allen -- If you squint a bit, the horizontal chrome hood trim on the 50 resembles a set of prop blades. Not sure if that was intentional, but the resemblance is uncanny to me... Also, i'm going to look into lighting my bullet somehow this summer. Just too cool an idea not to...
                  sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X