• Show
Clear All

• Chasing Points - When 400 Points Isn't Good Enough

Interesting comment at the end....

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/15...llector-finds-
    54-studebaker.html#storylink=cpy
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

For some reason the whole link didn't parse there. Here's a link.

Wow. Just wow. This is absolutely beautiful. Worth every one of those 400 points, and then some!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Why weren't points deducted for the AC?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I saw that car at South Bend and studied it for quite a while. It is quite spectacular and I am not surprised it scored that well. There was one other Conestoga at the meet, an Ambulet. I was surprised there were only those two, I was hoping to see some more. Certainly inspires me to work on mine, though it will never be a 400 pointer, nor do I want it to be one.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

How can that car get 400 points with a 12 volt electrical system?
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

As to 400 points with air conditioning and 12-volt electrics: He may have placed it in the Custom/Modified Division for just that reason, although I do not know that for sure.

That's the thing to do if you want a high score and not be dinged for authenticity infractions. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I noticed the 12 volt system right off and the A/C. Bob P's response makes sense.

What is the rectangular box with modern wires mounted on the fan shroud?

I just went back and checked. Somehow it got 400 points in a stock class - Division 2. That wouldn't have happened if I was judging it. It is a nice wagon, but I would think 385-390 points.
              Last edited by studegary; 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What a beautiful car!

Nice high gloss paint in the engine compartment. Point deduct... over restored! Just as I would do it!
                Last edited by Studedude; 04-16-2013, 04:34 PM.
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

I think this can be read a couple different ways.

One way (as some have here) is the owners thought they had the best car and should have stood alone with a perfect score.

I tend to read it another way, that they actually didn't think it deserved the 400 points and thought the judges were a little easy on everyone including them.

As we have seen here time and again, the written word can be tricky.
                  Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I would probably agree with Skinny on this one, I really like this, cause I don't like restored cars that were perfect originals to start, I tstand by the "cars only original once" mentallity for show cars. where as this was car is still original just freshened up, then again show cars aren't for me.

Comment

I agree with others here that this vehicle should have been in custom class for too many non authentic items under the hood. While you can choose to go in stock class, you are usually docked for non authentic items. Seems like that was overlooked here. Judging is subjective and the same vehicle will attain different results at different meets, I can testify to that. This is mostly due to the SDC not having enough knowledgeable judging volunteers. I own a vehicle that has won two best of division, back to back and the following year it eeked out a 2nd place. Each time after a meet I fixed all the items that received deductions, the vehicle had not deteriorated between meets. Very discouraging to say the least.
                      Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        What is the rectangular box with modern wires mounted on the fan shroud?
                        Looks like a headlight relay......normally used on 6 volt cars to ensure full battery voltage goes to the headlights. Eliminates voltage drop through the headlight switch.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          Also, why weren't points deducted for the incorrect radiator hose clamp?

Comment

Cuz it's Purdy!
                            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                            sigpic
                            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post

Cuz it's Purdy!
                              In that case, every Stude is a 400 point vehicle, cuz they're all purdy

Comment

Working...
                              X