Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Stude switch to the C1**** serials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Stude switch to the C1**** serials?

Another SDCer and I were looking over a car for sale last week, a very nice, recently restored "driver" '64 Daytona 6 4dr. Or at least so it certainly appeared...then I spied the serial plate, which wore a C1**** number. I had thought that style of plate didn't start until the 1965 model year. Did those numbers actually begin at she point during the "second series", Hamilton-only run of 1964 Studes? (This Daytona, with its pristine Stude OHV 6, all-white steering wheel and checkered-flags badges on the C-pillars, certainly looked the part of a late Hamilton '64. Drives nice, too...we both were granted a bit of wheel time in it.)

Anyway, can anyone enlighten me as to when exactly "64SC-****" would've changed to "C1****"?

S.

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
    Another SDCer and I were looking over a car for sale last week, a very nice, recently restored "driver" '64 Daytona 6 4dr. Or at least so it certainly appeared...then I spied the serial plate, which wore a C1**** number. I had thought that style of plate didn't start until the 1965 model year. Did those numbers actually begin at she point during the "second series", Hamilton-only run of 1964 Studes? (This Daytona, with its pristine Stude OHV 6, all-white steering wheel and checkered-flags badges on the C-pillars, certainly looked the part of a late Hamilton '64. Drives nice, too...we both were granted a bit of wheel time in it.)

Anyway, can anyone enlighten me as to when exactly "64SC-****" would've changed to "C1****"?

S.
    When Hamilton reopened for production in January, 1964.

Yes, the 1964 model year was a split model year in terms of Serial Number prefixes. Both 64SC-XXXXX and C1XXXXX were used for 1964 model year sixes built in Hamilton, depending on when they were built. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      When Hamilton reopened for production in January, 1964.

Yes, the 1964 model year was a split model year in terms of Serial Number prefixes. Both 64SC-XXXXX and C1XXXXX were used for 1964 model year sixes built in Hamilton, depending on when they were built. BP
      Yep, which is why some refer to the later cars with the 'C1 prefix as 'Series 2'.

Craig

Comment

You should be able to ID (spot) this Daytona as a "Series II" '64 by the all Bone White Steering Wheel and the "C" Pillar crossed flags emblem without a "V8".
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X