Oil for the steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Oil for the steering box

What kind of oil do I put in the steering box. Had to put a new gaskit on the side.
    Also, the set screw, how tight should it be?
    The car is a 64 daytona wagonaire with power steering.
    Thanks for the help.
    Steve

Oil, Studebaker international sells a paste-like oil just for that. The original Kendal product is no longer available.

The set screw on the side. this is the one with the nut around it, for adjusting freeplay in the system. Loosen the large nut, tighten the set screw 1/4 turn, check the steering wheel that it doesn't bind as you turn past straight ahead. If it's loose, tighten anohter 1/4 turn, recheck. Do this unti you feel a definate bind at straight ahead. back off the adjustment until the bind is no longer there. hold the set screw and tighten the nut. Mine took well over a full turn to hit snug. It makes a big improvement, but not as good as replacing the rubber bushings on the suspension. Both together make it pretty good.

Comment

I was having this question a while ago & got some answers:

Shell Alvania 00 Extreme pressure Grease

John Deere Special-purpose Corn Heated Gun Grease AN 102562

Mobil SHC634

Comment

In both of the above cases it depends a LOT on if you have a '61-'66 Lark Type Recirculating Ball, Saginaw Steering Gear as the OP has or a Ross like MOST Studes, which is the one that gets the semi fluid Grease. Saginaws just get 90 wt. Gear Oil.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmm... so if someone's got a well-used -55 like me, what's the best to use then?

Comment

I would recommend the Shell Alvania 00 grease, I've had good results in well used steering boxes using a semi fluid grease instead of gear oil as it doesn't have a tendancy to leak like gear oil. Bud

Comment

I've got a tube of the SI steering box lubricant in my '63 with Saginaw box and it's been perfect.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
                I was having this question a while ago & got some answers:

Shell Alvania 00 Extreme pressure Grease

John Deere Special-purpose Corn Heated Gun Grease AN 102562

Mobil SHC634
                That would be John Deere corn head greae you are looking for. Works good in the boxes which take the thick stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
                  Hmmm... so if someone's got a well-used -55 like me, what's the best to use then?
                  Same as everyone EXCEPT the late Lark type ('61-'66) owners use.
                  A '55 should be a Ross, some Champions used a Saginaw but it still is the same design as a Ross, a Worm and Sector Type Gear Box requiring THICK semi-fluid Grease.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just had to add semi-fluid grease to the Ross Box in my 1962 Hawk. It was dry as a bone and the steering had become sticky on the interstate. I had to do something quick, so I went to the local John Deere Dealer and got some Multi-Luber, stock no. AN11100. Put it in a plastic ketchup squeeze bottle with long nose and squeezed it into the box. Works great!!! Its not expensive either.
                    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
                      Je suis d'accord!! Great to hear some French from south of the border. I live in Eastern Ontario and sure do enjoy the French Canadian influence.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                      X