Challenging POP QUIZ for a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging POP QUIZ for a change

Time for another POP QUIZ to see how well everyone has been reading their Turning Wheels for the last couple years.

Minnesota SDC Vendor Bob40 posted the following link in Stove Huggers. (Thanks, Bob; it is great!)

Within that collection is a photograph of a 1963 Impala drag race car sponsored by Earl Evans Chevrolet.

Pop Quiz: What does that Earl Evans Chevrolet image have to do with something Studebaker published in Turning Wheels after January 1, 2011?

The first person to post the correct answer wins their choice of:

1. Two NOS, uncirculated Studebaker Red Ball letterhead stationery envelopes,

OR

2. A professionally-reproduced copy of the 1963 Whistler glossy photograph that's been posted here a couple times during The Whistler's recently-confirmed discovery and rescue.

(Yes, this quiz is a little tougher than some others, so maybe it will take longer than two hours for somebody to post the correct answer!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Wow, a little surprising here as we close in on 24 hours.

I didn't think anybody would get this in a few hours, but with 100 "reads," I figured somebody would have taken a shot by now.

The related exposure in Turning Wheels isn't at all obscure. In fact, I'll bet more than half the forum members who get Turning Wheels read "it" at the time. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'll take a stab at it.
      That car is the same one that SDC'er John Raab (in his 1963 Lark Regal) ran his third run against at the Pure Stock Drag Races in 2011.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

I'm sorry, Gary; that's not it, but thanks for taking a shot.

By way of clues, the answer doesn't have anything to do with The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race...if that event didn't exist, the quiz and answer would be unchanged.

If nobody gets it in a day or two, I'll post the answer. I knew it would be difficult, but 'thought it might jump out at one or more forum members as it did me. It may be one of those things that is "hidden in plain sight," as the expression goes!

Bill Pressler, especially, is going to knock his forehead with his the palm of his hand if he doesn't see it. BP

Comment

The photo was taken by Jack Bleil, who also took a photo of the chicken hawk that was published in the may 2011 TW, is that it.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
            The photo was taken by Jack Bleil, who also took a photo of The Chicken Hawk that was published in the May 2011 TW; is that it?
            BINGO, Dan; you got it! Thanks for being so diligent; I was afraid I had come up with one too tough to answer. That is not my intention.

Tell you what: You have posted about wanting Turning Wheels issues with Gran Turismo Hawk coverage. The March 2008 Turning Wheels contains a nice, six-page Fred Fox overview, Remembering The Gran Turismo Hawk. Five of the six pages are in color. The front cover is SDCer Dick Steinkamp's former Champaign Gold 1963 GT Hawk; a very nice photograph.

I have an extra copy of that issue if you would like it as the prize for having correctly answered the Pop Quiz.

You joined SDC after the last Membership Roster was printed, so I do not have your home mailing address. If you will send me that in a PM here on the forum, or to my home e-mail address in Turning Wheels, I will send this out to you.

Again, congrats. (I was just about to post the answer this evening after 48 hours with no winners, thinking maybe I had gone overboard this time, so I'm glad you got it.) BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              BINGO, Dan; you got it! Thanks for being so diligent; I was afraid I had come up with one too tough to answer. That is not my intention.

Tell you what: You have posted about wanting Turning Wheels issues with Gran Turismo Hawk coverage. The March 2008 Turning Wheels contains a nice, six-page Fred Fox overview, Remembering The Gran Turismo Hawk. Five of the six pages are in color. The front cover is SDCer Dick Steinkamp's former Champaign Gold 1963 GT Hawk; a very nice photograph.

I have an extra copy of that issue if you would like it as the prize for having correctly answered the Pop Quiz.

You joined SDC after the last Membership Roster was printed, so I do not have your home mailing address. If you will send me that in a PM here on the forum, or to my home e-mail address in Turning Wheels, I will send this out to you.

Again, congrats. (I was just about to post the answer this evening after 48 hours with no winners, thinking maybe I had gone overboard this time, so I'm glad you got it.) BP
              Yay!!!!!!!! Best part is I didn't even have a subscription then. I was on my way out to work, playing with my computer before I left, and spotted this thread, I looked at the photo and noticed it was the only one with the photographer's name listed so I looked up to see if he did any photos for TW, and found a Thread you started up here As for the prize that TW sound's great! And maybe this sounds kinda wierd to you but since you are the editor in chief, and in a sense that makes you the author......could you sign it for me?? It may not mean that much to most people but, your name carries some real weight in the studebaker world. I'll PM you my info

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                Yay!!!!!!!! Best part is I didn't even have a subscription then. I was on my way out to work, playing with my computer before I left, and spotted this thread, I looked at the photo and noticed it was the only one with the photographer's name listed so I looked up to see if he did any photos for TW, and found a Thread you started up here As for the prize that TW sound's great! And maybe this sounds kinda wierd to you but since you are the editor in chief, and in a sense that makes you the author......could you sign it for me?? It may not mean that much to most people but, your name carries some real weight in the Studebaker world. I'll PM you my info
                Got the PM with your address, Dan, and I'll send this issue out tomorrow.

I'll sign it per your request, but I want to clarify that I am NOT the Editor-in-Chief of Turning Wheels, and never was. I am the Technical Editor, one of the subsets of people who contribute to the magazine.

Thanks for clarifying how you determined the answer. I was wondering how someone who just joined and said he has only the current copy of Turning Wheels, found something in the May 2011 issue! That made no sense, but it does now. Good sleuthing!

Best. BP

Comment

Forum Members: As you see, newbie Dan Dather got it; the connection is photographer Jack Bleil.

If you look on the cited link for the Chevy photo, the words Photo by Jack Bleil are prominent right below the Chevy image, I would suppose to prevent copying and illegal reproduction.

Then, check out the brilliant Chicken Hawk photo inside the front cover of the May 2011 Turning Wheels. The description of that photo on Page 7 of the May 2011 Turning Wheels discusses my encounter with Jack Bleil in great detail, mentioning his name and relationship to drag race photography several times. BP

Comment

Ahhhh I see Bob, well your still a big part of what makes these magizines come together so nicely, I really apreciate it Bob. I'll PM you when it gets here. I've always wanted to win one these things.

Comment

Bob, you keep this up, and you're gonna give young folks incentive to join/stay in the SDC fold.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                        Bob, you keep this up, and you're gonna give young folks incentive to join/stay in the SDC fold.
                        Well, I hope so, Dave; Art Unger just all too well illustrated our mortality.

Note how Dan's computer skills, typical of younger members, enabled him to win this without even having a copy of the appropriate Turning Wheels in his possession, and having been a member of the club only four months! BP

Comment

Working...
                        X