52 Champion won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 52 Champion won't start

The car is twelve volts, the battery has been checked out. It has electronic ignition.
    I have cleaned and checked the grounds. No lights, no electric fuel pump. The horn
    makes a sick sound. It starts if I use a portable jump starter but stops after the fuel
    in the carb runs out, since the fuel pump isn't working. Any thoughts.

Joe

More information would be appreciated.

If it needs to be jump started, then the battery is either not being charged, or it is not holding a charge. You might replace the battery temporarily with one from another car.

If it only runs until the carb runs dry, then either the fuel pump is not working, or something is clogged in the fuel line (tank, filters, flex hoses) or the pump is sucking air from a pinhole somewhere.

A big offender is the flexible fuel line from the frame to the fuel pump. These crack and allow the pump to suck air, but often they do not appear to leak fuel out on the ground.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

did this happen out of the blue? was the car starting/ running OK at some point recently? has any work been done on it lately?
      Clearly the battery juice is never leaving the battery....trace all pathways, follow pos and neg cables and wires and check for corrosion, etc.
      Who/how was battery checked? The only semi-reliable test of a battery is with a carbon-pile load tester and I have even had false-good results with that!
      Roy, he mentioned the electric pump is not getting juice....
      1947 M5 under restoration
      a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

52 Champion won't start

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
        did this happen out of the blue? was the car starting/ running OK at some point recently? has any work been done on it lately?
        Clearly the battery juice is never leaving the battery....trace all pathways, follow pos and neg cables and wires and check for corrosion, etc.
        Who/how was battery checked? The only semi-reliable test of a battery is with a carbon-pile load tester and I have even had false-good results with that!
        Thanks fellows for your help. I had the car running and outside in January. The only thing done after that was
        adding led tail lights. I put in the special adapter and special flasher. I'm sure this has nothing to do with it. The
        battery was taken to an auto parts dealership and they tested it for over an hour and said it was good to go. I was
        wondering if my ignition switch could be the problem. Everything is dead except the grunt from the horn. Would
        the battery booster be able to start the car without the ignition switch? Probably not.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
          I misread "no electric fuel pump" to mean that he had no electric fuel pump. One of the joys of written communication.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Clearly, electricity is not flowing somewhere. Nine times out of ten (95% of all statistics are made up on the spot) electrical problems are the result of poor grounds. I agree with tbirdtbird. There's a chance cleaning grounds won't solve the problem but, it's a very cheap and very likely issue.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You need someone who can use a trouble light or better a voltmeter to start tracing the various circuits for voltage in and voltage out of all circuits and switches and devices

try a known good battery, something sounds suspicious about your old one. I couldn't test a battery for an hour if I tried. Takes 5 min.
              1947 M5 under restoration
              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Working...
              X