delco distributor advance weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: delco distributor advance weights

I have started looking at installing a pertronix in my distributor to get rid of the points. I think it is a delco dist. as it has the window in the side of the cap. After I pulled the cap and rotor the advance weights are right on top and it appears that I cannot get to the points. I know the advance weights and springs come off but what about the plate they are fastened to. I also have this tube that goes to the dist.shaft that nothing is hooked to. You can see it in the bottom of the attachment. I have posted a picture hoping that will help.Click image for larger version

Name:	distrib.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1738492

Number one, use the later "Ignitor III" Pertronix kit. Two, while you have the distributor out, use the Shop Manual to completely disassemble and refurbish it. You will see why when you get it apart; it will likely be gummed up with ancient, solidified grease, and have some worn out parts. Three, use the spacers in the Pertronix kit to set shaft end spacing per the Pertronix instructions. If you do not do these three things, your Pertronix experience may become a nightmare.
    If you don't feel confident in performing the above, find someone who can do it for you.

Comment

Your "Tube" is the Dist. Oiler cup, it HAD a spring loaded Cap on it when new, that is for 1-2 drops of 30wt. Engine Oil to lube the Dist. bushings.

You excess everything in a Delco Window Dist. by removing the two screws holding the ROTOR on.

New Advance weights and springs are available for it also.

Wow Joe is that a typo or have they actually gone all the way to III now?

I Have the Igniter II Pertronix Module and USA made II Coil for my Window Dist. in my Transtar, but was not aware of another upgrade.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Your "Tube" is the Dist. Oiler cup, it HAD a spring loaded Cap on it when new, that is for 1-2 drops of 30wt. Engine Oil to lube the Dist. bushings.

You excess everything in a Delco Window Dist. by removing the two screws holding the ROTOR on.

New Advance weights and springs are available for it also.

Wow Joe is that a typo or have they actually gone all the way to III now?

I Have the Igniter II Pertronix Module and USA made II Coil for my Window Dist. in my Transtar, but was not aware of another upgrade.
        It is a typo Rich.
        Though there is now an Ignitor III, I have no experience with it. I meant Ignitor II, and recommend it since it has a built in circuit protector to avoid frying the system if the key is left on for longer than a few minutes, as the Ignitor I will do. (Just ask Jack V. about his experience with an Ignitor I

Comment

All three Pertronix units will fit and work just fine. I've had version no. I in my 259 Lark for over 10 years. I even forget to look at/change the cap and rotor because of its trouble free working.

Personally, I'd go for the latest (version no III) if you can swing a few more bucks for what it offers.

As far as taking the points/condensor off...as noted, once the rotor is off...it should be a snap to get to. Be sure to set the unit to the instructions. New cap and rotor also.
          As far as taking the distributor completely apart...if everything has been working well, the point plate is failry tight...it's overkill in my book (unless maybe you're racing). Beside removing the pins that hold the gears on...CAN be all but impossible on occasion to get them out. Ask me how I know...! Not worth the effort for a daily driver, or part time driver.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X