PDA

View Full Version : 39 coupe express progress

Pages : [1] 2

t walgamuth
04-06-2013, 07:08 AM
I have my coupe express at LeVaire Engineering in Anderson and for the last three weeks have gone down there on Friday taking things. Michael has the body off the frame and is repairing rust on the body. The bed was pretty sound but he has welded in some holes and coated the bottom and inside the bed with POR 15. He has also cleaned the frame and coated it similarly. Yesterday I took down a 77 Saab manual rack to use on the 39 and we test fitted it. He will have to weld on some tabs to mount it to but it looks like it will be a very good fit. The rack has about 4 turns lock to lock and the weight of the 39 should be very close to what the front of the saab was. My best memory of saab ownership was the wonderful steering so I am hoping the 39 will steer well too. We discussed the possibility of mounting brackets for modern shocks. He is going to look at that.

There is a lot more rust around the top of the windshield so some fairly extensive work is needed there to clean it up. The drivers side cab mount and rocker have repair work as well.

My plan is to leave the exterior as found perhaps clear coating it. The mechanical and interior will be brought up to snuff with the upgraded engine transmission and brakes. I have ordered 16 x6" rims from coker along with baby moons so the look will be pretty traditional. I plan to do a pretty comprehensive job on the interior including adding ac.

We also found the chassis number. It appears to be L5 79 I, so it is the 79th CE built in 39?

PackardV8
04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Photos or it didn't happen!

Agree, the Saab 99 is one of the all-time best feeling sedans. We need to see how that rack mates up to whatever suspension you're using. Adapting a R&P is one of the easiest to do but most difficult to do correctly re-engineering on a custom car.

jack vines

t walgamuth
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, I have been trying for a couple of months now to get brakes for the 39 planar suspension with no luck. So along with the suspicion that there is other fairly extensive repair work needed on the planar front suspension I decided to go ahead and do a subframe. I ordered a fatman hub to hub package including power rack, sway bar springs shocks, 12" rotors with big calipers and stainless steel tubular a arms. It is supposed to be ready to ship in about a month.

Michael is still working on the body.

t walgamuth
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I just talked with Michael and he welded in the fatman subframe yesterday. I am hoping to get over there tomorrow to see it sitting on its wheels again with the new running gear under it.

Kdancy
07-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Pictures pictures !!!!

t walgamuth
07-12-2013, 08:41 AM
3468834689346903468734691Yeah, I gotta figure out how to do it here. I will.

warrlaw1
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Good stuff. That will be a nice truck. I'm having trouble uploading pics, now, too. I had my computer settings set up as described up top, but I think something may have changed at my end. Time to trouble shoot.

t walgamuth
07-12-2013, 06:11 PM

I went over to have a look and talk to Michael about details. He has the front end nearly completely installed with springs, a arms rotors calipers and steering rack installed. The main stuff is painted with black por 15. The stainless a arms are forged and polished. I expected them to be tubular steel welded and felt a little uneasy about that but these look plenty strong! the fatman parts are all first rate and it all went together like a charm. The only thing is the caliper brackets had one slightly inaccurate welding which required a shim between the bolt and caliper on the bottom to correct. (We felt that was a very minor issue). The instructions were clear and precise too.

We then looked at the Mercedes donor car and considered the pedal cluster and accelerator assembly and the shifter. We also looked at the Mercedes radiator and oil cooler, which look as if they might be usable. We're planning to use the Mercedes steering column too. Having the commander there (which is complete) for reference is very handy too.

We are making progress!

t walgamuth
08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Dropped off the Roll Guy sanden adapter kit today and a spare lower pan so Michael can drop the bottom of the pan to increase capacity. WE dropped the engine down between the frame and dummied out the radiator etc.

WE will be able to fit the mb radiator between the studey radiator loop but will not be able to use the oil cooler. An auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator should be pretty routine to supply. Perhaps we can relocate the benz cooler below or beside or above.

The engine now fits down in there as if it grew there with the right angle, etc. We'll still need to dimple the firewall a bit to install the oil filter.

A splice in of 1" on the large part of the pan should offset the 2" notch nearly perfectly since its a 1/3 2/3 relationship of notch to remaining pan.

I'll be investigating the HVAC options now too. Prolly vintage air or similar.

It looks like we can use the MB fuel tank with slight modification too so that's a plus.

junior
08-24-2013, 09:04 AM
I must have missed it somewhere, sometime...but a Mercedes donor car? What Mercedes, and what engine?...this sounds like fun...please bring me up to speed. thanks, Junior.

t walgamuth
08-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Its a 3.0 liter five cylinder turbodiesel from a 1983 wagon. I has a five speed overdrive behind it. We're going to use the pedal cluster, half the drive shaft, radiator and the fuel tank too. I've been holding back the fact that I decided not to use the Studebaker v8 for fear of the flaming I am sure to get here!;)

junior
08-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Its a 3.0 liter five cylinder turbodiesel from a 1983 wagon. I has a five speed overdrive behind it. We're going to use the pedal cluster, half the drive shaft, radiator and the fuel tank too. I've been holding back the fact that I decided not to use the Studebaker v8 for fear of the flaming I am sure to get here!;)

Dare to be different... that`s cool with me, and sounds like it will be a fun ride when completed. As far as what others like, well I let that be their concern. I get enough roasting about having another belly-button SBC in my car and I could care less...it was the first ever engine rebuild exposure I had way back in the mid 70`s, and I have absolutely no desire to swap in a Stude v-8 at this point in time... I also like the natural patina paint job idea that seems to be gaining popularity. As noted with others, pics of the build sure would be great. Regards, Junior.

GThawkwind
08-24-2013, 12:30 PM
No not much to worry about, I think most will just think it's cool that you went with something other than a SBC then again even if it was another SBC I think most would still like it.

t walgamuth
08-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Its a motor and tranny combination that I have a load of experience with. Once the engine is all up to snuff they will go with a minimum of bother for decades. I was excited about the 259 with od but the lack of power steering pump and ac bracket without a lot of digging just caught me short also the v8 down between the frame rails looked like tough service. then too I had the mb engine and tranny and knew they are sound and in good order so it seemed to be almost preordained. The Studebaker mb connection back in the day is just frosting on the cake.;)

Oh yes, I am expecting to be able to get from 25 up to near 30 mpg too.

t walgamuth
10-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I went over today for a fitment into the truck. The mercedes steering column is in place complete with its crush zone. The bracket that bolts to the bottom of the dash bolted into the studebaker using existing holes!

The brake and clutch levers will need to be bent to the right to have the correct relationship to the gas pedal and the gas pedal needs moved toward the radiator 1".

The shifter will have the shift lever lengthened 6" and the shift levers under the floor lengthened 3" to bring the shifter up where it needs to be and retain the shifting pattern size it now has.

The driveshaft will use the front half of the Wagon ds and the rear half will be modified to attach to the ford 9" diff. He has the tranny support bolted in with custom brackets. It looks like it grew there.

We'll have to raise the engine about a half inch to give more clearance to the Sanden compressor.

It is getting close to being drivable....sortof.

johnod
10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Just found this thread, like everyone else I'd like to see pics too.

Is that engine a front sump engine, does it fit behind the fatman cross member, is that why firewall needs relieving?

t walgamuth
10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I have been putting off learning how to post pics.

I'll provide a link to my thread over on the Mercedesforum.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/open-discussion/327903-39-studebaker-coupe-express.html

The engine like all of them of that era Mercedes is a drastically forward sump. The crossmember from fatman sits pretty low so we notched the front of the pan back to near the pickup which is not feasible to relocate. This cuts about 1.5 quarts out of the pan capacity so we are going to add an inch on the bottom of the pan to get the capacity back.

I am pretty stoked about how its all going. We are using as many of the Mercedes parts as possible such as accelerator pedal and stock linkage, pedal cluster including the booster, engine tranny and shifter as well. Its all stuff I am very familiar with and one nice thing about running an old Mercedes, the parts are always available no matter how old it is.

johnod
10-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Just skimmed the other thread.
looked like you were going to go Stude power for a while.
What kind of power does the MB engine make?

t walgamuth
10-04-2013, 04:36 AM
about 120 hp and 190 ft lb of torque. It gave pretty decent performance (for a diesel) in the 1983 mb wagon it came out of. I suspect in the CE it might be a little lighter so it should be quick enough for me and capable of towing a small trailer.

t walgamuth
10-05-2013, 07:22 AM
I received a lovely Arvin heater yesterday with art deco lines. It has a horseshoe shaped core and a fan with three speeds and three little doors to open and close for controlling the heat. It looks like I'll need a separate valve to control the hot water flow though. It appears the CE was set up with a cable control for the hot water so I'll have to look through the parts I got from Bob and see if one is in there.

t walgamuth
10-24-2013, 06:02 PM
The truck is on its wheels and looks pretty decent. It may be a little high in front so we'll have to see. The pedals had to be bent to the right to get close enough to the accel pedal. The accel pedal is binding now so will require some adjustment, possible moving the floor pivot closer to the lever. The shifter looks and feels perfect along with the wheel. The driveshaft is attached to the ford diff. A corvair ujoint base was welded directly onto the Mercedes DS. The Mercedes fuel tank is installed and it looks as if we may be able to graft the filler neck from the studie tank right onto it the intake for the tank being in such a similar location. Next is attaching the front clip and radiator. I think I'm gonna go with a smooth rf fender instead of installing the too high spare there.

Its getting close to being drivable again.

There is a new batch of pictures posted over on the linked thread.

I am hoping to get the bumpers from Deepinhock up here from Reedsville this weekend!

DEEPNHOCK
10-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Looks great so far!
I almost went in for Lasik surgery looking at your pic's:eek:
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

t walgamuth
10-24-2013, 07:21 PM
My camera had somehow gotten the automatic focus turned off. I did not (knowingly at least) do that.

Sorry!

t walgamuth
10-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I drove down to Noblesville tonight and picked up the bumpers I am buying from Jeff for my 39 at Jim Turners house. I got to also look at his 52 ragtop....and look at his shop. I really like his ragtop and shop. I also spied a supercharger that he is pondering putting on the ragtop!

Thanks Jim and Jeff!

This Studebaker world is small and very family like!

t walgamuth
11-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Yesterday I went down to the shop and checked progress. They are finishing up all the chassis welding. Yesterday Steve was welding the axle perches onto the axle tube. I took a fender without the tire well down yesterday. I am going to run without the spare in the fender. It looks like it will block too much vision and hurt fuel economy plus I like the sleek look without it. Next is to install the front bodywork, radiator etc.

DEEPNHOCK
11-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Tom,
Pretty sure that is the style heater that was put in the Yellow POS..
I mounted mine right in the center of the trans hump.
Built a new sheet metal mount that doubled as the mount and a duct for the defroster hoses.
Cut the 'through the firewall' water tubes and put tight 90 degree heater hoses that had a control up inside behind the glove box.
Put a 12v to 6v reducer in for the fan motor.
It all works great in that small cab.
I have about a dozenteen pic's at home on a separate hard drive.
Will try to remember to send them to you when I get back home.

I received a lovely Arvin heater yesterday with art deco lines. It has a horseshoe shaped core and a fan with three speeds and three little doors to open and close for controlling the heat. It looks like I'll need a separate valve to control the hot water flow though. It appears the CE was set up with a cable control for the hot water so I'll have to look through the parts I got from Bob and see if one is in there.

t walgamuth
11-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Tom,
Pretty sure that is the style heater that was put in the Yellow POS..
I mounted mine right in the center of the trans hump.
Built a new sheet metal mount that doubled as the mount and a duct for the defroster hoses.
Cut the 'through the firewall' water tubes and put tight 90 degree heater hoses that had a control up inside behind the glove box.
Put a 12v to 6v reducer in for the fan motor.
It all works great in that small cab.
I have about a dozenteen pic's at home on a separate hard drive.
Will try to remember to send them to you when I get back home.

What did you do about AC?

cdavid13
11-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I have a 1939 2 door Studebaker Champion that i am selling , where on the frame did you find the chassis # .
thanks cdavid13

DEEPNHOCK
11-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Mine is basically a Slimline unit trimmed to fit....

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/slimline

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/account/images/image.img?color=e06e2a&text=333333&accent=96908d&compliment=f1a200&navigation=ffffff&heading=333333&title=ffffff&logo=ffffff&link=eb4600&picture.width.max=188&picture.image.url=%2Ffiles%2F1950578%2Fuploaded%2F11300-VUZ-A.jpg&cache=1384215854245

What did you do about AC?

t walgamuth
11-16-2013, 09:08 AM
I have a 1939 2 door Studebaker Champion that i am selling , where on the frame did you find the chassis # .
thanks cdavid13

We had the frame on its side and found the numbers on the bottom of the frame mid theigh under the drivers seat. It took some sanding as the numbers are not very deeply impressed.

t walgamuth
11-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Mine is basically a Slimline unit trimmed to fit....

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/slimline

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/account/images/image.img?color=e06e2a&text=333333&accent=96908d&compliment=f1a200&navigation=ffffff&heading=333333&title=ffffff&logo=ffffff&link=eb4600&picture.width.max=188&picture.image.url=%2Ffiles%2F1950578%2Fuploaded%2F11300-VUZ-A.jpg&cache=1384215854245

That looks really nice. I have been planning to use my Dad's old Sears unit but its a lot more bulky than this.

t walgamuth
12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/open-discussion/327903-39-studebaker-coupe-express-10.html#post3250453

See link for latest progress and pics. Michael is cutting out the front edge of the roof and will weld in the front edge from the parts roof section Bob gave me along with the CE.

t walgamuth
12-25-2013, 04:58 PM
That looks really nice. I have been planning to use my Dad's old Sears unit but its a lot more bulky than this.

Does anybody happen to have one of these they're not using? I am interested in buying one.

t walgamuth
12-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Does anybody happen to have one of these they're not using? I am interested in buying one.

Today I officially gave up on my previous plan and bought a vintage air unit for heating and cooling. very similar to Jeff's setup.

I talked to Michael today. He has the radiator hoses hooked up, the hood and front fenders aligned and mounted the doors hung and the running boards straightened.
(He made a few mods to the air cleaner housing so it will fit inside the hood.)

I may go up early tomorrow. I need pictures!

DEEPNHOCK
12-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Too bad... Speedway Motors has a Trimline...
You give up too easy....

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search.html?query=910-00466

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/83/91000466_L_15029eea.jpg

t walgamuth
12-27-2013, 06:29 PM
That's pretty much what I bought....its a vintique air....got it from summit off ebay for 343 or so.

I am pretty stoked up after today's visit to see the truck! The body work is all back on it now with very good shutlines on the doors and hood. The only thing needing repair now is the sills/rockers. We discussed location of battery, dash configuration, tail light location, exhaust location and headlight configuration. I am planning to use the original 39 headlights and add driving lights on the bumper brackets. I have some turn signal lights from a bugeye sprite which I believe we will mount under the headlights.

I am leaning toward black on the body but am considering two toning it with black fenders and some other color on the upper body.

Its sitting on its own wheels now with the front riding at least two inches too high because of too stiff springs. When sitting correctly the front will be down a bit but not as much as Jeff's yellow bandit. I think I'll be redoing all the chrome too. Jeff, I have the bumpers on it now and they look fine. Thanks buddy!

Pretty exciting stuff.

Anybody have a nice instrument cluster for one of these? None of the solutions I am looking at now really seems right.

I took my camera but found the battery dead....drat!

t walgamuth
12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/open-discussion/327903-39-studebaker-coupe-express-12.html

That is a link to the thread over on the mercedes forum. There are pictures.

My latest thinking is about colors for paint, since he is nearly ready to paint it.

johnod
12-30-2013, 03:42 PM
The black looks good to me too.

t walgamuth
12-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Good! Its a good color and the original color for the truck.

t walgamuth
02-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Today I am working on headlights. I found some NOS lenses and two very nice trim rings. I have a spare set that is NOS or very near it I can sell if anybody has a need. I think I will get the reflectors replated (is the original finish nickel?) and install some high power bulbs and go on down the road.

t walgamuth
02-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I thought I had those little odd shaped closure pieces that cover the hole left between the running board, cab, fender and bed....but I cannot find them so now I am not sure I ever had them. Does anybody have a couple for a 38/39 they are not using? and would sell?

GThawkwind
02-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Post an WTB add on the swap page.

t walgamuth
02-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks very much!

Now how do I get there please?

Tom

GThawkwind
02-19-2014, 01:34 AM
Here
http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php
Its a fantastic place to find cheap parts, if you haven't ever checked it out. It's a good place to put WTB ads too as alot of non forum goers use it.

t walgamuth
02-19-2014, 10:47 AM
I am looking at my instrument panel today and it looks like I will be trying to use the original one. I found a fellow who will fix my temp guage and give it back with a fitting on the engine end that will fit my mb motor.

t walgamuth
02-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Does anybody know where to get numerals and such painted on the glass face of the instrument cluster?

t walgamuth
02-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I went down to review progress and what is still to be done today and when I walked into Michael's shop and saw that lovely nose and forehead of the CE my heart did a little catchy thing. (Don't tell my wife!);)

We are ready to paint now. Today I got the idea of painting it light kalkie (how the heck do you spell that?) with chocolate brown interior.

t walgamuth
03-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Yesterday I took the headlight reflectors from 1939 and dropped them off to be cleaned and re plated with nickel. I'll buy a kit to convert them to H4 halogen. I saw in the Speedway catalogue an amber turn signal bulb to attach to the side of the H4 to provide turn signal in the same fixture. Anybodyb have experience with these?

Today I went to look at paint chips. I looked at 67 to 71 mercedes samples for a nice color with no metallic. I like ivory but might end up with biege gray. I may couple that with tobacco brown for the dash and window trim.

DEEPNHOCK
03-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Those dinky amber lights in your reflector lenses will be all but useless, and actually dangerous if you count on them as turn signals.
With the headlights on, you won't see them. Nobody will see them.
As stand alone running/parking lights?..... Maybe....
I have them in the Yellow POS, and they are not worth using...
HTIH

t walgamuth
03-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Those dinky amber lights in your reflector lenses will be all but useless, and actually dangerous if you count on them as turn signals.
With the headlights on, you won't see them. Nobody will see them.
As stand alone running/parking lights?..... Maybe....
I have them in the Yellow POS, and they are not worth using...
HTIH

Heh heh! I can always count on Jeff for an honest answer! I thought it was unlikely they would be good but was hoping someone would say they were great as the aesthetics of it are great....simple, simple, simple.....but I want signals that actually, you know, SIGNAL to people!;)

t walgamuth
03-14-2014, 09:00 AM
In preparing the body for paint, Michael found a number of areas which looked good until he sanded a bit on them, then he found them to be rusted from behind so had to weld in new metal. This all adds up but now the body is good and solid.

I have pretty well settled on a beige color for the body, either an old Mercedes color from about 1972 beige gray or a Volvo color from about 1976 Mojave beige. The Volvo color has a touch of yellow in it. I am planning a chocolate brown interior with orange piping if I can get it. I'll use orange for accent on the car inside and out.

t walgamuth
05-07-2014, 05:37 AM
3468034681I picked up the new nickel plated reflectors yesterday.

oooooh, I uploaded pics and it was not so hard!

t walgamuth
05-07-2014, 05:43 AM
3468234683346843468534686Here are more pics from progress.

The Mercedes diesel now sits as if it came there. The Mercedes steering column bolted to holes already there from the original column, you can also see the vintage air unit behind the steering wheel. The steering wheel will be replaced by a wood rim Nardi. I got the 38 tail lights from a member here, with a slight modification to the base they look factory. The bumper from Jeff is looking good too.

t walgamuth
06-10-2014, 04:40 PM
I've got to run over to Anderson this week with instruments and stuff. Getting near to paint time!;)

t walgamuth
06-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Today I cruised over to Anderson and looked in on the progress on the truck. They are priming inside the truck, window trim and dash etc. He has mounted the fuse box and is running wire to the ends of the truck. I dropped off the instruments and the headlights. I picked up the rest of the glass and will be getting it made new here in Lafayette. They are planning to get the truck in the paint booth next week.

The car in the paint booth today was a TVR tuscan.

t walgamuth
06-12-2014, 08:44 AM
What is the hot combination for covering the running boards?

t walgamuth
06-24-2014, 05:51 AM
This week I am working on getting all the glass ready for installation. I bead blasted the side window base frames and the vent window frames and painted them with rustoleum black paint and will be riveting the shiny bits back on today, then taking them to the glass shop to be united with their new glass.

JRoberts
06-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Love this thread and the subject of it. I love the MB connection. Not only unique, but rather sensible as well. Keep up the great reports.

t walgamuth
06-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks Joe!
Progress has been slow lately but they're getting ready to paint now and I am getting excited! I am still missing the closure panels between the cab, bed, fender and running board, so if anyone has any leads on those I'd love to hear of it.

t walgamuth
07-09-2014, 10:40 PM
361613616236163bare metal pics

t walgamuth
07-16-2014, 05:53 AM
I picked up the new glass today. The vent glass is in the frames and the side window glass. Looks fabulous. I got it in the green tinted.

evilhawk
07-16-2014, 01:35 PM
This build is very cool. Somehow the Mercedes Diesel seems very appropriate... Maybe because some Studes remind me of Mercedes :)

t walgamuth
07-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks! Someday I may want to sell so its glad to see there are some other people who like the offbeat nature of the diesel powered street rod. My goal is to build it so I can drive it as much and wherever I like and pull a small trailer.

t walgamuth
07-17-2014, 08:08 AM
I still need the closure panels that close off the bed, cab, fender and running boards. Does anybody have a pair off their truck that I could borrow to copy? I will pay a substantial deposit for the privelage.

t walgamuth
07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
More pics with truck in primer, very close to the final color.

t walgamuth
07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
The Mrs thinks my color is boring. I think she expected me to paint it orange or yellow like my little race car. I hope I like it when its done.;)

t walgamuth
07-26-2014, 07:07 AM
I have picked the color....at least three times. Heh! But I have picked a Volvo color from the seventies or eighties. It is a beige gray very similar to some of the Mercedes colors of the period and very close to one of the colors available from Studebaker in 39. I want the car to look period appropriate. The color has some life to it beyond plain gray which is the color of the primer on it now.

It is a very conservative approach but should appeal to lots of folks. I want the truck to look very very simple aesthetically with minimal distractions. I plan to keep the trim stock which is minimal too.

Being a farm truck the body on it did not look too bad at first glance (see pic in signature) but it has about a zillion little dents and ripples in it. Michael thought they had it pretty straight before this primer but after applying it he found another half zillion dents and ripples.

About the only panel on it not dented is the roof and hood....actually the roof is too.;)

I brought back all the shiny trim to get it plated, so that is the next task for me. He said the fasteners were in surprisingly good condition, none of the bolts broke and only one little clip.

I am still in dire need of the closure panels between the bed, cab, fender and running board. Can anyone help?

t walgamuth
07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
I discovered I may have a hand made aluminum grill for my 39. It is not magnetic and weighs about 1/3 as much as the pot metal one. Anybody have one of these?

t walgamuth
07-28-2014, 06:02 AM
here are pics of the aluminum one. I have been advised by Superstude that they were available in aluminum aftermarket. Does anybody have a drivers side grill in aluminum then?

t walgamuth
08-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I have noted some cars in the rod mags with nickel plating instead of chrome.

Anybody with experience in this subject?

I am considering it on my CE.

DEEPNHOCK
08-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Nickel is softer than a chrome finish (chrome is clear, over a polished nickel plating).
Nickel will tarnish, where chrome will not.
A good 'chrome job' will have copper as the base (where they smooth out any flaws)
Then comes Nickel (adds the shine)
Then comes Chrome (protects the shine)

I have noted some cars in the rod mags with nickel plating instead of chrome.

Anybody with experience in this subject?

I am considering it on my CE.

studeclunker
08-01-2014, 03:19 PM
So far so good. The truck actually looks stock, except for all five wheels.;) Frankly, I don't blame you on the brakes, frame, and suspension changes. The pre-fifties stuff is not much to my liking. Sorry the Studebaker engine didn't work out though. A straight eight might have been interesting... however even then I can't much blame you.

Very, very interesting timeline and project. Thanks for sharing the progress! Can't wait to see the pics of it re-assembled with finish paint! :woot:

t walgamuth
08-01-2014, 04:20 PM
I have a set of full moon aluminum wheel covers to put over those completely inappropriate outlaw wheels. I had them polished and plan to put Stude lettering on in plastic. the spare will be steel and will lie in the bed at the rear, since it needs two bolt patterns.

t walgamuth
08-01-2014, 04:21 PM
I drove enough flatheads to know I don't want one trying to go 75 mph on the interstate.;) If I did not want to drive it I would have kept it stock.

t walgamuth
08-06-2014, 07:50 AM
They are block sanding and backfilling this week....maybe paint next week? It's physically in the paint booth now. (well the end of the shop where he paints)
I am trying to round up all my chrome now to take to the platers. I got a NOS drivers side grill from Tim when I bought the 39 commander parts car but have mislaid it now. I am sure I'll find it once I have paid to have one of my other ones plated!;)

t walgamuth
08-08-2014, 08:09 AM
I have worked out with "Richard from northeast ohio who has a 38 CE which is apart at the moment a loan of his closure panels between the bed, the cab and the running board. I will make copies and give them back to him. I'll probably make some extras if anybody needs them.

DEEPNHOCK
08-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I might/maybe/would be interested in a pair for my trailer project.
Might be easier to get a copy from you than to build them from scratch.
(Am a ways off building that project, though).....

I have worked out with "Richard from northeast ohio who has a 38 CE which is apart at the moment a loan of his closure panels between the bed, the cab and the running board. I will make copies and give them back to him. I'll probably make some extras if anybody needs them.

t walgamuth
08-11-2014, 05:42 AM
Cool! I'll be glad to accomedate once I see what is going to be involved.

t walgamuth
08-13-2014, 09:45 PM

Actually one from some years back before Bob bought it. Its sitting in the Minnesota farm lot where he found it.

That plate on the front is from 1955.;)

(I intended to post the latest progress photo but could not find it in my files. I like this picture a lot and cannot remember posting it before).

t walgamuth
08-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Michael informed me today that he found the closure panels for the bed, fender, cab corner. he had misidentified them as interior pieces, so woo hooooo! One less problem to solve.

DEEPNHOCK
08-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Sweet!................

Michael informed me today that he found the closure panels for the bed, fender, cab corner. he had misidentified them as interior pieces, so woo hooooo! One less problem to solve.

t walgamuth
09-23-2014, 06:39 AM
I'll post pics of the new paint later. The light kaki looks like I wanted it to.

t walgamuth
09-23-2014, 09:10 AM
more of the latest pics. the wheels will be covered with polished full moons with Studebaker name.

t walgamuth
09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
I am heading out tomorrow early to put my eyes on it in person tomorrow morning, and take the new glass and gaskets to Michael to install.;)

I need a good or re-chromeable nose trim....the vertical piece under the hood that goes down to the bottom.

t walgamuth
09-30-2014, 05:59 PM
3808638087380883808938090looked at the truck today.....;)

t walgamuth
09-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Thinking of chocolate brown welt in the fenders.....;)

sweetolbob
09-30-2014, 07:21 PM
looked at the truck today.....;)

It's come a long way since you started, looks great. How long to "on the road"?

Bob

mossback44
09-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Great inspiration for me. I just bought a '39 Coupe Express and am in the planning stage for the build. It will definitely retain the original look, but may have a couple of custom touches like an oval rear window. I also want to get rid of the spare tire well in the right fender. Those two areas were, in my opinion, the two weakest areas of an otherwise beautiful truck. I intend to improve the suspension and running gear and am thinking that the 425 Buick nailhead sitting in my shop may have found a new home. Thanks for sharing your build progress with us.

t walgamuth
09-30-2014, 10:44 PM
It's come a long way since you started, looks great. How long to "on the road"?

Bob

Soon I hope....? I'll prolly be lucky if its this year.

Thanks!

t walgamuth
09-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Great inspiration for me. I just bought a '39 Coupe Express and am in the planning stage for the build. It will definitely retain the original look, but may have a couple of custom touches like an oval rear window. I also want to get rid of the spare tire well in the right fender. Those two areas were, in my opinion, the two weakest areas of an otherwise beautiful truck. I intend to improve the suspension and running gear and am thinking that the 425 Buick nailhead sitting in my shop may have found a new home. Thanks for sharing your build progress with us.

Thanks! The engine compartment is pretty tight. The nailhead with its narrow design may work very well.

mbstude
10-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Those are both good mods to make. Here's a local '39 CE that has been in the works for the last 10 years. It's finally at the stage of being sorted out and drivable. The rear window is from a '49 Stude truck. The bed floor is polished stainless and the spare tire is below a "hidden" door in the bed floor.

BTW, it's Stude powered.. Factory R1 from a '64 Hawk with a 3 deuce setup.

http://i.imgur.com/R9CuWFr.jpg

sweetolbob
10-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Those are both good mods to make. Here's a local '39 CE that has been in the works for the last 10 years. It's finally at the stage of being sorted out and drivable. The rear window is from a '49 Stude truck. The bed floor is polished stainless and the spare tire is below a "hidden" door in the bed floor.

Insufficient pictures, Matt.:woot:

junior
10-02-2014, 05:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/R9CuWFr.jpg

I have thought forever that CE rear windows were just WRONG...proof positive with this rear window....now we're talking, should have been done this way at the factory! both these CE's are going to be cool. junior

t walgamuth
10-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Thank you!

j.byrd
10-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I always planned on putting another window in a CE if I ever got one, that one Matt posted looks very nice ! I also wonder how making one a "5 window" like some of the early GM's were would work ?

t walgamuth
10-02-2014, 08:28 PM
The tiny stock window is growing on me. I wouldn't change mine.

t walgamuth
10-03-2014, 05:56 AM
The treatment of that rear pan is pretty nice. They have extended it down to the bottom of the fender nicely. I'm not sure how the bumpers are supported without the slots in the body work though, looks like a flat support coming out. I see they have solved the license mount question by splitting the bumper and putting it there. I was going to just screw it to the valance panel as the PO had done at some point but Michael has filled the holes now and I am finding resistance in my mind to drilling holes in it again. I also don't want to mount it out in the air stream as it was from the factory so at the moment it is a dilemma.

BobPalma
10-03-2014, 06:48 AM
:!!: 'Looking good, Tom. An unusual but pleasant color choice; much preferred over red! :cool: BP

t walgamuth
10-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Thanks Bob!

I might have done bright orange but a local fellow has a lovely 37 chevy pickup that color already.

I have this visual image/ idea in my mind of a truck that looks like it was updated just a little in the 60's.

junior
10-03-2014, 08:51 AM
The tiny stock window is growing on me. I wouldn't change mine.

the size of the rear window is not what I was commenting about...it's the right-angles that are all wrong (IMO)...never could figure out why the design team at Studebaker made such beautiful flowing lines on the CE's (that pretty much killed most of the competition for looks)that were full of beautiful compound curves and then went and stuck a rectangle of glass in the back of the cab for a window. just my thoughts... cheers, junior

t walgamuth
10-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Maybe it came from the Hudson pickup parts bin.;)

t walgamuth
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
I just did a search and found that though similar all of them are bigger than the stude and more favorably positioned for actually looking out unless you are pretty short.;)

junior
10-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Maybe it came from the Hudson pickup parts bin.;)

lol, good one...I think the rear window designer was on both company's payroll. The TerraPlane's design was always cool, but still nowhere as smooth and put-together as the CE's...once again, one guy's opinion. cheers, junior

8E45E
10-03-2014, 01:47 PM
There was a sliding rear window option on the CE, though I have actually never seen one. I suspect it was for that reason it was made at right angles.

Craig

avanti1982
10-03-2014, 02:41 PM
38148 i saw this in ely neveda in 2006 i think is it a 39 ??

t walgamuth
10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
That's a 37.

I have spent hours picturing a fenderless 37 CE.

t walgamuth
10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
I picked up the chrome today. It is astonishingly perfect....and the trim pieces are very heavy....a spear two feet long must weigh at least 3#...yikes!

I had the bumpers along and got them priced....$530 each....no way, I brought them home and left them at my favorite body shop where they will be painted the brightest silver he has for $375 for the two of them.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

DEEPNHOCK
10-24-2014, 08:13 PM
I had both of mine done at Jerry Forrester's for $400 for the pair (but that was a decade ago)
A few years ago I bought one that was already redone...no questions asked..for $300 for my trailer project...
And the seller tried to buy it back a few times... (but I know a deal when i see one)...
Have you thought about the 'chrome' powder coat they can do now?
Stuff looks really good...

I picked up the chrome today. It is astonishingly perfect....and the trim pieces are very heavy....a spear two feet long must weigh at least 3#...yikes!

I had the bumpers along and got them priced....$530 each....no way, I brought them home and left them at my favorite body shop where they will be painted the brightest silver he has for $375 for the two of them.

DEEPNHOCK
10-24-2014, 08:17 PM
I have seen the chicken wire embedded slider window option for the '37 CE in brochures, and thought about it as a styling exercise.
But there is so little head room in there now, and adding a second layer of glass and track would move into the cab, which is small as it is.
I would love to see an actual CE with that option (and will volunteer mine as a test subject if someone has the parts)...

There was a sliding rear window option on the CE, though I have actually never seen one. I suspect it was for that reason it was made at right angles.

Craig

t walgamuth
10-24-2014, 08:41 PM
I am curious too but not enough to volunteer my CE.;)

t walgamuth
10-24-2014, 08:42 PM
There is a powder coating outfit in Frankfort. I stopped by on my way home but he was not there....perhaps gone on fall break with kids?

8E45E
10-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I would love to see an actual CE with that option (and will volunteer mine as a test subject if someone has the parts)...[/B][/COLOR]

I would too!! Seems they were rare when they were new, and as I posted here, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55051-Mr-Richard-Quinn-s-1939-Studebaker-Coupe-Express&highlight=1950+catalog , the Parts Catalog shows them as NLA by 1950.

Craig

t walgamuth
11-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Hi Richard, I need to communicate with you about delivering the engine soon and I cannot find your contact info. Please pm me or email at twalgamuth@Comcastdotnet.

or call at 765 49zero zero275.

t walgamuth
12-19-2014, 09:13 AM
40035I sold the original motor from the CE this week to Richard in the Cleveland area.

As a part of the deal he brought me a pair of mirrors from thirties packards which mount on the door hinges. they look pretty good to me. He also brought me new chains for the tailgate. He builds them for sale, also builds tailgates and the front panels of the bed and the apron beneath the bed in back.

I am getting antsy to see the truck all together.

I'll post pics of the mirrors later.

DEEPNHOCK
12-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Richard's CE tailgate is a work of art....

t walgamuth
12-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Richard's CE tailgate is a work of art....

He is pretty impressive!

t walgamuth
12-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I am now in the market for four bumper guards. Anybody have some to spare? My bumpers are without the groove in the center if that makes a difference.

DEEPNHOCK
12-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Those bumper overrides are rare and expen$ive...
I took the CASO route and bought some used '37 Ford guards.
Did a little grinding on the ID near the top and bottom of the bumper edges and had Jerry Forrester chrome 'em up.
They look ok...

40064 40065 40066

Here's some from Mac's...
http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/bumper-guard-chrome-ford-3.html

http://htsmall.macsautoparts.com/assets/macs/images/size/265x265/sku/64-17551.jpg

t walgamuth
12-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Did you buy the ones in the link or used?

Thanks for the great info!

DEEPNHOCK
12-21-2014, 12:11 PM
IIRC, I bought them used at a swap meet....

Did you buy the ones in the link or used?

Thanks for the great info!

t walgamuth
12-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Cool! thanks again for all your help in working out my CE details.;)

t walgamuth
12-26-2014, 06:40 AM
I'm in need of the piece of chrome that trims the prow of the car. All mine are broken except one which appears to be the right shape on its surface where it mates up to the prow but at the top where it comes up under the hood latch it is not flat but is sort of zig zagged. anybody have one for a 39 CE or commander? I suppose one from a president would work too.

Studebaker Wheel
12-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Is this the one? If so extremely hard to find in any condition. Not to be confused with those used on any of the 1940s.

t walgamuth
12-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, that looks like it. Got any to spare?

rkapteyn
12-26-2014, 09:30 AM
The 1940 head lites will fit right in but has sealed beam bulbs.
Many 1939 cars were fitted by dealers with 1940 head lights.
There is an outfit out west that puts an improved coating on the 1939 reflectors
if you want to stay with the nicer looking 1939 lights
It was uvira or something like that.
http://forums.aaca.org/f143/headlight-reflector-restoration-342213.html

57pack
12-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Good! Its a good color and the original color for the truck.
Glad you're going with black. So many have been painted bright yellow or orange.

t walgamuth
12-26-2014, 12:28 PM
The 1940 head lites will fit right in but has sealed beam bulbs.
Many 1939 cars were fitted by dealers with 1940 head lights.
There is an outfit out west that puts an improved coating on the 1939 reflectors
if you want to stay with the nicer looking 1939 lights
It was uvira or something like that.
http://forums.aaca.org/f143/headlight-reflector-restoration-342213.html

Yes, I have new H-4 halogen conversions for them with excellent original trims and MOS lenses. The reflectors have been replated.

t walgamuth
12-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Glad you're going with black. So many have been painted bright yellow or orange.

Actually I later decided to go with light kaki. See pics on post #83. I liked the looks of black very much but dislike the way it shows dirt so much. Being a lazy bugger I went with a color which won't show dirt much even if it won't look as dramatic as black.;)

GW-3 1273
01-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Yes, I have new H-4 halogen conversions for them with excellent original trims and MOS lenses. The reflectors have been replated.

I was wondering where you found the H-4 kit and did you have to alter the reflectors much do they fit good thanks you in advance.
Terry

t walgamuth
01-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I was wondering where you found the H-4 kit and did you have to alter the reflectors much do they fit good thanks you in advance.
Terry

I think speedway has the conversion kits. The hole in the reflector needs to be opened up a bit. Its not installed yet and I'm leaving that to my fabricator, Michael.

GW-3 1273
01-01-2015, 06:16 PM
I think speedway has the conversion kits. The hole in the reflector needs to be opened up a bit. Its not installed yet and I'm leaving that to my fabricator, Michael.

Yes Speedway has them I went and had a look and yes you open it up on the reflector to 1 inch that's not much then just stick the socket through the hole screw on the back piece your done really looks like nice fix for old cars.
Terry

t walgamuth
01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Is this the one? If so extremely hard to find in any condition. Not to be confused with those used on any of the 1940s.

After further research, I believe mine is off a 40.

Anybody have a 39 to trade for a 40?

I can modify the 40 to fit but it would be better to match the 39 hood trim if I can. If I could get a 40 hood trim I could live with that, its nice looking all together with the prow piece but does it have the hood latch built in as the 39 does?

t walgamuth
01-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Any chance you'd sell me that one?

t walgamuth
01-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Great news! I heard from Bob who I bought my CE from that he found the instrument "glass". I am very excited as this may allow me to use the original instrument cluster. My current plan of using after market gauges has not really gelled as I wished it would.

bob40
01-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Actually it is plastic.I THOUGHT it was glass but I am getting older and experiencing brain fade.

t walgamuth
01-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Glass, plastic, whatever....I am very excited to see it!

bob40
01-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Somewhere around here is a near perfect nose piece as well. Don't know when that will pop up...been looking for that for a few years as well.
I hide stuff so well I can't find it.
Don't ask me to try harder to find it.Things just pop up when they want me to find them.

Studebaker Wheel
01-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Glass, plastic, whatever....I am very excited to see it!

It is lucite.

t walgamuth
01-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Somewhere around here is a near perfect nose piece as well. Don't know when that will pop up...been looking for that for a few years as well.
I hide stuff so well I can't find it.
Don't ask me to try harder to find it.Things just pop up when they want me to find them.

I know the feeling. You did give me a pretty good nose piece but its from a 1940. If I had the piece for the 1940 hood center trim that matches it, I'd use it I suppose.

t walgamuth
01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
I received a ford branded bumper guard today. I have been very excited about it since it will protect the vulnerable nose on the 39. As soon as I had it in my hands I realized I have no idea of the spacing of my bumper bolts. Anybody happen to know if it will fit my 39 CE bumper bolt holes? I assume it will be fitting (if any) the two center most holes in the bumper brackets.

DEEPNHOCK
01-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Here's some old build pic's from the Yellow POS that might help you imagineer...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937%20Studebaker%20Coupe%20Express/BumperGuardIdeas12200101_zpsbd098c20.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937%20Studebaker%20Coupe%20Express/BumperGuardIdeas12200102_zpsf4781ef7.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937%20Studebaker%20Coupe%20Express/BumperGuardIdeas12200103_zps57ad284f.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937%20Studebaker%20Coupe%20Express/BumperGuardIdeas12200104_zpse8aba3aa.jpg

t walgamuth
01-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks Jeff! Do the bumper guards in your pics coincide with the bolt holes in the bumper brackets?

DEEPNHOCK
01-10-2015, 10:51 PM
Yes, the overrides I have are also bumper bolts...

Thanks Jeff! Do the bumper guards in your pics coincide with the bolt holes in the bumper brackets?

t walgamuth
01-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks Jeff!

t walgamuth
01-15-2015, 06:07 PM

The bumper guard for the 37 ford looks like it will fit the front of my CE perfectly!

I got the instrument panel lense from Bob today for the 39.

Thanks Bob!

I cleaned it with dish soap and water and a lot of the grunge washed right off. There are some things that are either chemically adhered or some other way attached which resist my soft cloth washing. The Lucite lense (I see now why its Lucite instead of glass with all the ins and outs etc). Its an exceedingly complicated shape which would be pretty tough to duplicate I imagine.

So how to remove the smudges on the face of the lense? Can I buff it with a wheel? And what about the rust stains?

rowan
01-15-2015, 08:11 PM
If the stains look like rust - try an oxy cleaner or some diluted - very diluted - muriatic acid - lemmon juice may work. A buffer may melt lucite.

kurtruk
01-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Go at it carefully. If you have difficulty removing the rust, it looks like it will be hidden on installation, just like it was before. I know, it would bug me too, knowing it was there, but at the risk of damaging the rest of the nice gold lettering, I'd leave it alone. Can't be a lot of these pieces still around in nice condition like yours.

t walgamuth
01-16-2015, 05:56 AM
The inside is pretty pristine. The outside has a zillion little scratches and some bigger ones. it should be fairly easy to polish the outside without damaging the inside with the indented numbers.

t walgamuth
01-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Can anyone direct me to a place or person who can repair the tube for the original 39 temperature gauge? ...or adapt the original gauge face to accept an electronic gauge which uses a sensor and a wire?

garyash
01-16-2015, 01:26 PM
You need "The Temperature Gauge Guy", currently Roy Martin, South Burlington, VT, tel: eight oh two-862-6374. He can replace a missing bulb and capillary, repair old ones, adjust the Bourdon tube movement, etc. He took over the business from the late Dick Evans. Or, you could try it yourself: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

The fluid that is used is diethyl ether, the same as many starter fluids and the old surgical anesthetic. This came up the other day on the AACA Forum. Here's the vapor pressure of the diethyl ether as a function of temperature, derived from the Clausius-Clapyeron equation. Pressures are absolute, not "gauge".

t walgamuth
01-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks Gary! I just talked to Roy. Sounds like a great guy. I'll be sending my gauge to him to fix.

t walgamuth
01-28-2015, 03:54 PM
So today I was getting ready to take the trip to Anderson In and see the latest progress on the CE and pick up my instruments so I can get the temp gauge rebuilt. I decided (luckily) that I'd like to take along the original lens to show Michael. I couldn't find it. I remembered taking it out of the big box Bob shipped it in and I looked the usual places for it and could not find it.

After some vigorous cursing my lovely Mrs. asked what I was looking for. I told her I was an idiot and could not remember where I had stashed it. After a few more laps around the house I looked in the garage...no dice. Back in the house for a few more laps with comprehensive cursing of myself.

Then she said she had thrown away the big box it came in but had checked and it was not in there for sure. I had thought that box had been thrown out two weeks ago so it took me a while to compute this. Then she said why don't you go look in the trash. Today is trash day and the truck was nearby enough that I ran to the trash and sure enough right on top was my irreplaceable 39 instrument lens with the numbers and letters embossed on the back etc.

I went back into the house harummping and so forth until I made her cry.

Unbelievable! I even had told her how excited I was about getting the lens etc. when I got it.

So then I went to Anderson and by the time I talked to Michael about all the things we still need to finish I walked off and left my instrument cluster!

Doh!

He has all the fenders and such attached now with the fender welting and so forth so that is exciting!

Oh, I looked and the commander parts car has a nose trim with all the pieces semi attached which I'll try to get repaired and rechromed.;)

bob40
01-28-2015, 04:49 PM
That lens has gone free range and wants no part of being used.It eluded me for a long time and now it's trying to escape from you.
Maybe it's bedeviled ;)

t walgamuth
01-28-2015, 05:52 PM
heh heh!....

mbstude
01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Is it the optional land speed racing version?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/tallahassee/tallahassee2014.jpg

t walgamuth
01-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Mine goes to 100. What's yours, kilos?

t walgamuth
02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
I decided in the spirit of keeping things rolling to move ahead with the accessory gauges. I'll keep all the cool parts for the stock dash and can put it in later.

He also has installed the v6 mustang 2 springs in front and will be cutting a half coil out of them to lower it. we'll go ahead and get the rest of it together and see how it sits before trying to perfectionize the springs and ride height.

t walgamuth
03-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Today the older gent from Joliet returned my call about rubber parts for the CE glass. I got to hear his story about a CE he had but sold along. It might be available soon.

t walgamuth
03-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I visited Michael's shop today. He has the springs sorted now. the car is sitting down pretty nicely now with a modest amount of rake front to back, with the tires centered well in the fenders with about 2" clearance all around. He has the instruments installed and they look really good. the dash is repainted and is looking good also. He's trying to get it running and driving in the next month or so.

Woo hoo!

He's supposed to send me pics, which I'll post when I get them.;)

t walgamuth
04-07-2015, 10:11 PM
I had a conversation with Michael today. He is working on such things as wiring, plumbing etc. One issue is the ignition switch. The one in the mb parts car does not seem to be working. So we may have to resort to a generic starter switch. If so we'll need a fuel cut off for stopping the engine. A solenoid might work. We also discussed an old fashioned after market manual choke kit so I could pull a handle and cut off the fuel.

We also discussed dash lighting, windshield wipers and so forth.

I also ordered him a new rubber support for the center bearing on the driveshaft.

It'll be driveable soon!

Woooo hoooo!

t walgamuth
04-09-2015, 03:40 PM
I have tried several times to get various rubber parts related to the vent windows, rear window and fuzzy channel for the glass on my CE from the gentleman in Joliet but even though I had one nice conversation with him I have yet to get anything useful from him. Are there other sources for these parts? SI does not have many of them.

t walgamuth
04-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Also still in the market for that chrome prow piece down the nose. One fellow here has one to spare but his price is my original 39 CE seat which I am not willing to part with. (My maternal grandpa may have built it!)

DEEPNHOCK
04-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Did you peruse the Steele Rubber catalog.
They have a lot of generic rubber extrusions that fit a lot of vintage vehicles...

t walgamuth
04-09-2015, 09:00 PM
I'll take a look.

Thanks Jeff!

Tom

t walgamuth
04-11-2015, 04:43 AM
the Gentleman from Joliet called yesterday and pledged to look for the parts I need over the weekend.

t walgamuth
04-17-2015, 12:21 PM
I ordered parts today from Steele. Expensive.

I'll still need the fuzzy channels. Do they come as standard pieces which can be bent to conform to the rounded corner on the CE?

Steve M
04-17-2015, 06:01 PM
Try CR Laurence http://www.dkhardware.com/automotive-products_ZC3072M0P1.html To fit just wrap the channel around your uninstalled glass,

t walgamuth
04-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks Steve!

t walgamuth
05-22-2015, 06:04 AM
I'm ordering the window fuzzy channels today. Michael has been very busy lately and my truck has not made much progress. I have a new autocross car (pictured in my avatar). Its a Lotus 7 replica and very fast and I am learning how to drive it quickly. I've been to four events so far and am catching on, but it has me distracted from the CE to a large extent. The goal is to get it running and driving this summer (as it was last summer). Part of my problem is mission creep as I have increased what is being done as we go since the progress has been so inspiring.;)

Mrs K Corbin
05-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Have you tried Valerie Hansen from Nashville?

t walgamuth
05-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Try CR Laurence http://www.dkhardware.com/automotive-products_ZC3072M0P1.html To fit just wrap the channel around your uninstalled glass,

Hi Steve, Is CR Laurence a person? is that ZC3072MP01 the part number?

t walgamuth
05-26-2015, 07:01 AM
I tried the DK hardware website and found it impossible to search reasonably for the window channels, they have thousands of pages of parts and the index was not helpful. I called and asked their live chat box but got no love. Nobody to be found who could assist, and the person on the phone was churly. Any suggestions about how to locate the part from them?

Today I'll try again by seeing if they have a pdf catalogue I can simply leaf through.

t walgamuth
06-01-2015, 08:08 AM
I have found flexible fuzzy channel for chevys but it measures 9/16 x 5/8", I believe. Michael says my 39 looks like 3/4" x 1/2". Can someone verify that this channel dimension is correct, please? I am still chasing my tail on finding what is needed here. Does the car have the fuzzy sweeps at the base of the window too?

Steve M
06-01-2015, 06:39 PM
CR Laurence is the company name. Google CRLaurence catalog. dk hardware is just a vendor of their products.

t walgamuth
06-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Oh ok. thanks Steve!

t walgamuth
06-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Hi Steve, I still could not find any oldie window guides there. Can you offer any other suggestions for searching, please?

rkapteyn
06-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I have a complete dash cluster for sale that fits the 1938 and 1939 Coupe express.
It is in very good condition with near perfect plastic.
Robert Kapteyn
studebaker@mac.com

t walgamuth
06-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Cool!..........

Steve M
06-02-2015, 07:12 PM
www.restorationspecialties.com

t walgamuth
06-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks Steve!

t walgamuth
09-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Things have been moving slowly the last few months on the CE. My builder is sort of stuck on the wiring around the Mercedes steering column and the idea of the diesel engine. I took my newly painted bumpers to him yesterday and the windshield wiper kits from one of the hot rod suppliers. The 3 point Mercedes seat belts are installed now, the instrument cluster is ready to install and they are working on the side windows and such. The exhaust pipe is roughed out now. It will exit in front of the right rear fender. There is no muff at the present and we'll see if that is quiet enough. Some rumble is desired but not too much.

Most of the wiring is routed but not hooked up and the brake lines are run.

It is probably a week of diligent work away from being drivable. (Oh not really, probably!;))

Peanut
09-02-2015, 07:26 PM
The details at the end always take the most time, it seems.

t walgamuth
11-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Today I went to Anderson and collected my 39 Commander parts car. Richard from Northeast Ohio who makes the tailgates and some other neat stuff has expressed interest in it. I don't seem to see his contact information now, anybody have that handy?

They have the windshields in and the vent windows now. We looked at putting in generic electric windshield wipers too. We're gonna buy a chevy style ignition switch and headlight switch to go with the painless fuse panel.

DEEPNHOCK
11-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Check your PM....

t walgamuth
11-05-2015, 05:10 AM
Thanks Jeff!

Tom

t walgamuth
12-08-2015, 04:51 PM
I got a very nice rechromed nose trim today from Rick.

Thanks Rick! looks great!

t walgamuth
12-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Today I delivered the nose trim to Michael. We also discussed the location and connection of all the still needed switches valves and relays. We stood and ogled the construction and design of the incredible CE bed. Surely there has never been such a beautiful bed on any production truck.

t walgamuth
01-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Today I took the 39 headlight buckets, lenses and trim rings down to Michael, along with a pigtail for the Mercedes alternator. We discovered that I am short two clips that hold the reflector into the frame of the headlight tub. Does anybody know a source for these little spring clips or an alternative way to hold them in?

Michael also made some plugs for the windshield wiper holes which look very professional. The wipers look grand and are a perfect fit, just missing the rubber at the top and touching it on the maximum sweep. They are wiring up the dash instruments now. they have the battery mounted on the firewall just like it was in the Mercedes which donated the motor and transmission. the wiring is well organized and anchored nicely to the firewall. We discussed the plumbing for the radiator, its catch/pressure tank and the heater hoses.

The brake lines are all run now too.

I can nearly hear it running now!;)

t walgamuth
01-09-2016, 10:50 AM
I just found the spring clips so....Never mind!

Peanut
01-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Good to hear that the clips turned up!

t walgamuth
03-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Michael found that the fuel gauge does not work so I have been trying to find a new one that matches the other gauges I have in place. I found a gas gauge that has the correct ohm readings...unfortunately it has a silver rim instead of chrome and an orange indicator needle instead of black. Yipes!

Went over to look at the truck today. Looking good! Bumper on, turn signals on front, many various things done. Truck sits with a lovely rake with the nose down about 3 to 4" lower than the rear. the headlights look marvelous "dahrling". Nearing time to fire her off and take a drive.

t walgamuth
03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
52163latest pic with bumper installed, and nos headlight lenses with original trim rings, renickeled reflector and Halogen bulb. Its nearing drivable condition!

Woo hoo!

DEEPNHOCK
03-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Lookin' good!

t walgamuth
03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks Jeff!

t walgamuth
04-24-2016, 07:12 PM
I am going to make an effort to have the truck drivable by the big meet May 5, 2016.

Wish me luck!

t walgamuth
04-26-2016, 06:48 PM
The other day I found the drivers side grill I got from Tim in upstate new york with the 39 commander. It cleaned up really nice. And though its not NOS it is a good #2 I'd say,with some small pits and scratches here and there. There is also a small dent in the edge which I'll try to get out with two blocks of oak and a hammer. The ribs are none broken and all nice and straight!.

I spent about an hour polishing it.;)

Woo hoooo!

t walgamuth
05-04-2016, 12:46 PM
I'm heading down tomorrow. Michael is hoping to have it running today.

t walgamuth
05-05-2016, 06:00 PM
I heard it run today, then hung trim on the hood sides and nose. We discussed some options on finishing the car as well. So its not ready to bring home yet.:(

Anybody have any of those clips that attach the chrome on the edges of the hood? They bolt into the clip then the clips through bolt to the edge of the hood. I need 8 of them. Perhaps 39 only?

t walgamuth
05-06-2016, 10:12 AM
We found the hood trim clips.

t walgamuth
05-10-2016, 07:29 PM
53969Todays progress:

t walgamuth
05-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Can someone supply a source and or part number for the little rubber bumper thingies that go on top of the triangular grill shell to pad the edge of the hood? It's chipping the new paint! Yikes!

DEEPNHOCK
05-10-2016, 07:51 PM
I made some from sheet rubber and glued them on....

Can someone supply a source and or part number for the little rubber bumper thingies that go on top of the triangular grill shell to pad the edge of the hood? It's chipping the new paint! Yikes!

t walgamuth
07-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Today I went down and we discussed the hoses for the AC. The front chrome is installed, the bumpers, headlights turn signals and the truck runs and drives. I am rounding up parts to complete the AC installation.

t walgamuth
07-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Progress photos:56287562885628956290

DEEPNHOCK
07-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Looking good!

t walgamuth
07-09-2016, 11:39 AM
It runs and drives now.;)

Peanut
07-09-2016, 04:53 PM
We'll be expecting video, soon, then!

52 Ragtop
07-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Tom,
When you drive it home, you "could" make a slight detour and drop by! I'll be home for the next couple weeks, or until the Dr. releases me to drive!

Jim

t walgamuth
07-09-2016, 08:13 PM
I'll keep that in mind Jim!

t walgamuth
07-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Today I ordered cab insulation and a plug for the travel trailer style plug in to be delivered to anderson, then I drove down my running boards. He's gonna straighten them, por 15 and coat with bed liner. Eventually I'll prolly spring for the 700 dollar rubber covers but this will do for now.

Engine pics.

t walgamuth
07-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Progress photos:56287562885628956290

Dang, that baby looks chopped and channeled for sure.....Gotta love Raymond Loewy's design studio!

Peanut
07-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Looking sharp, man!

t walgamuth
07-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks Peanut! I am pretty excited about being able to drive it soon!

t walgamuth
08-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Yesterday I bought a second batch of cab insulation for the truck. Also sent a Trailer recepticle. Michael is straightening my running boards too. It won't be much longer til I can bring my baby home!

t walgamuth
09-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Today I took the Mrs. and the dog and went down to deliver a new hand brake lever and short cable for the CE. they have been very busy. Running boards coated with bed liner and installed, bed lined, interior insulation installed, all lights wired and working, Nardi steering wheel installed, frame mount hitch; reese style and much much more.

I asked them to paint the ford 9" rear end black to match the rest of the underside.

They requested some trim clips and door restrainer straps.

I sat in it and started it up. It sounds great with no muff but I suspect I'll tire of that and put on a mild muff. Power steering is installed, AC works, brakes work (need bled), etc. The vac shut off does not work. Seems like vac is bleeding away. We installed a circular vac storage tank in hopes of fixing that but no dice.

Next time I go down there I expect I'll bring it home.

He's supposed to send pics of the interior. The dash looks very professional with green turn signal lights, blue high beam and green lighted button for glow plugs and a red lighted button for shutting it off. Its all neatly laid out as if it grew there. Michael is a real artist!

The dimmer switch is on the floor.

Headlights and turn signals work like a charm, high and low beam. The tail lights are such a lovely touch and have glass prismatic lenses which look sort of like they come out of star wars as you look at them from different angles.

I'll be getting the local glass company to finish all the glass installation as it appears they may have made the glass slightly too big.

After driving it a little I'll think about getting the interior done.

t walgamuth
10-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Can someone supply the part numbers for the trim that holds on the horizontal molding on the top of the doors, the continuation piece of same that is on the cowl and the little springy clips on the extra horizontal moldings on the side panels of the hood please?

Also still need door stop or a reasonable generic solution to same if anybody knows of one, please.

t walgamuth
10-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I still need help on the trim clips....HELP! Sources or part numbers are needed again for the horizontal trim on the hood sides, the cowl side trim and the horizontal door trim.

Thanks in advance!

t walgamuth
10-05-2016, 07:16 PM
I need 30 trim clips and the two door chrome or stainless trim bars. Anybody got anything for me?

Tom

t walgamuth
10-06-2016, 03:26 PM
I called Studebaker international. they suggested I get out my body book and get the part numbers for what I need. Yikes! The indexing system is very confusing. I did not find much reference to the CE. they say it exists but I couldn't find any parts, I assume I am not understanding their system.

DEEPNHOCK
10-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Call Bob Kapteyn and talk nice to him.
I do not think the trim is anything too different from the low trim line for 1938.
Stude could not afford to do anything special around that time.

I called Studebaker international. they suggested I get out my body book and get the part numbers for what I need. Yikes! The indexing system is very confusing. I did not find much reference to the CE. they say it exists but I couldn't find any parts, I assume I am not understanding their system.

t walgamuth
10-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Is Bob at SI?

Cowtown Commander
10-06-2016, 08:10 PM
I do not think SI will have much for your 1939, Bob is not at SI has huge stock of parts but clips are so hard to identify what they fit. We got the trim on my 1938 Coupe utilizing materials from Au-veck "Worlds Largest Selection of Body Hardware and Specialty Fasteners". I don't think you can order from them but firms that support the auto body firms in your area should have their products. www.auveco.com is the website. Restoration Supply does sell to the individual restorer and has a huge selection. Google them and you can download their catalog.

Good Luck

DEEPNHOCK
10-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Is Bob at SI?

Joliet Studebaker is a full time parts supplier for parts back to 1934.
We have some older parts and we run a parts locating service.
We have a 38.000 sq ft. building full of parts from 23 former Studebaker
dealers

We stock all new rubber for your car such as vent window rubbers,windshield
rubber trunk gaskets etc.

We would be pleased to work with you.
R.Kapteyn , Joliet Studebaker Service. 112 Bissel Street Joliet IL.
60432-3002.
815 722 7262

Thanks for your inquire. Bob K.

Robert Kapteyn, Sr.
Joliet Studebaker Service
108 Bissel St.
Joliet, Illinois 60432
voice (815)722-7262)
fax: (815)722-7262
email: rkapteyn@mac.com
studebaker@mac.com

t walgamuth
10-07-2016, 05:55 AM
Thank Jeff!

I'll call Bob!

Tom

t walgamuth
10-12-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm still looking for the door trim and the clips to attach the hood side trim and the door trim.

t walgamuth
10-13-2016, 10:04 PM
I have found trim from a 38. I see it is different from my 39 trim. Is it interchangible? Also is it pot metal, stainless or chrome on steel?

And it looks as if the clips have to be different too.

Tom

t walgamuth
10-14-2016, 09:23 PM
I believe I found one of the door trims in my garage. I looked for a while but did not find another...no clips either.

So now I am down to needing one door trim and the fasteners if possible.

t walgamuth
10-28-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm still in dire need of a door trim. I presume the left and right are interchangible?

The truck is ready to pick up. I'll prolly go down Tuesday or Wed.

Woooo Hooooo!

t walgamuth
11-02-2016, 05:43 AM
We decided to make clips since nobody seems to have any in the usual places. I am still needing the one door trim though.

Anybody?

t walgamuth
11-09-2016, 05:46 PM
I departed this morning at dawn to pick up the CE. Rick Moon accompanied me. We had a wonderful conversation all the way down and back. The CE looks great but has some teething issues such as apparently plugged filters for fuel, soft brake pedal and notchy shifter.

IN the morning I'll be attending to the fuel filters.

I bought the crew at Levair Engineering Ts with 39 Studebaker on the front.5985059851

That's Logan, Myself, Michael Leveque (shop owner) and Steve, Michaels right hand man. Second Picture is Myself and Rick Moon.

52 Ragtop
11-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Sweet looking ride!

Jim

t walgamuth
11-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Thanks Jim! Those are the bumpers you transported for me!;)

t walgamuth
11-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Here is the link to the Pelican Parts Mercedesshopforum with more pics and stuff:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/327903-1939-studebaker-coupe-express-26.html#post3656657

sweetolbob
11-18-2016, 12:46 PM
A lot of time and effort, looks great. Gotta love the CE's from the late 30's. It should be a great driver.

Bob

t walgamuth
11-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Thanks Bob!

t walgamuth
12-06-2016, 09:38 PM
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/327903-1939-studebaker-coupe-express-27.html#post3662397

Here is the link to my lengthly blog like thread over at the mercedes forum. I'll also attach some pictures here.60387603886038760388603896039060391603926038760388

The last one I believe is myself and Rick Moon who rode down with me to pick it up. I got the three guys who did all the work t shirts with the 39 studebaker commander front end featured, and one for myself.;)

t walgamuth
12-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Oops looks like I repeated some pics there.60393603946039560396

Here are some more. Note the stock CE rear springs, 12 leaf including 4 or 5 overloads. Koni red shocks on back. I believe the biggest problem with vibrations is the exhaust pipe lying against a frame member. I'm gonna go by tomorrow and take the pipe to a muff shop to be reconfigured.

studeguy54
12-07-2016, 08:20 AM
3468834689346903468734691Yeah, I gotta figure out how to do it here. I will.

Denny here. Looks like you are making similar modifications to your '39 Coupe Express as I am. In particular, it looks like a Lincoln Versaille rear axle in your vehicle. I have a Mustang II front suspension 350 Chevy/700-R4 combination in mine. I'm going to read all the prior posts you have an hopefully get a few pointers for mine.

I'd love to have mine at South Bend in May, but it looks like it's not going to happen. Would like to stay in contact with you

Denny Foust
Keystone Region Chapter
dfoust@sdckeystoneregion.com

t walgamuth
12-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Sure. Cool! Actually the rear end came from an old pickup....like a 91?

I originally was going to go with the rusty rat rod look with updated mechanicals but the project just took on a life of its own and the truck started to talk to me.....fix this, paint that, you know.;)

Glad to help in any way I can.

sweetolbob
12-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Cool!! Really looking forward to the open road observations. Bob

t walgamuth
12-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Today my Indie moved the engine to the right as far as it would go and it gave more clearance for the AC compressor. It helped the exhaust too and he is going to modify that in two spots with a BFH!;)

The entire drive train now sits about 2" to the right of center for perfect (I am guessing) weight distribution with one person aboard.;)

t walgamuth
12-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Today I drove it a few miles. I got it up over 60 and used all gears. It vibrates a lot more than a mercedes but then I suppose that is how it was designed to begin with. Low speeds with a low compression low power flathead 6.

It showed hot on the way back so maybe there is a bubble in the coolant. We did not install the auxiliary pump in the cooling system for the heater, suppose that is a problem?

The steering is unsafe. I suppose an alignment is in order.

sweetolbob
12-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Today I drove it a few miles. I got it up over 60 and used all gears. It vibrates a lot more than a mercedes but then I suppose that is how it was designed to begin with. Low speeds with a low compression low power flathead 6.

It showed hot on the way back so maybe there is a bubble in the coolant. We did not install the auxiliary pump in the cooling system for the heater, suppose that is a problem?

The steering is unsafe. I suppose an alignment is in order.

I had a 39 Ford Coupe with the original suspension that I rebuilt completely and added gas hydraulic shocks plus an SBC. It would cruise at 70 mph on the expressway quite well. Keep at yours, you'll get it right. It always takes a while to find the trouble makers.

Bob

t walgamuth
12-15-2016, 06:58 PM
thanks Bob! So far I love the way it looks and that is big thing for me being a visual person. Yeah, we'll get it smoothed out one of these days!

t walgamuth
12-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Today I received a new rack and pinion from the Fatman to replace the original one which had play in the steering and leaked. We've been chasing down little stuff this week. I put taller tires on the front to get the bumper up off the ground a bit too. I also had the Indy install the correct 38# flywheel for the 5 cylinder diesel.

Next time I drive it I am hoping the vibrations will be at normal levels.

Then to the alignment shop, the glass shop, and probably not til next year, the upholstery shop.

Can anybody recommend a shop in Indiana that has patterns for the upholstery in a 39 CE?

t walgamuth
01-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Hi.
I am embarressed to say I cannot remember the name of the chrome shop I used. It is down near Shelbyville or NewCastle I believe....can someone help me out with the name? (I can search my receipts but that will take a good while).

t walgamuth
01-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Is it near Hagerstown?

t walgamuth
01-04-2017, 07:49 PM
So I figured out it is CMF Chromeplatingin.com. They were west of Hagerstown on 38 and now they are on Green St. in Cambridge city just south about 5 miles from where they were. Big new digs. clean, well lit and lots of places to store stuff.

I left the bumper which they will straighten, repair and strip then chrome plate for $575 incl. tax. Unfortunately there is a four month wait.;)

t walgamuth
01-15-2017, 12:16 PM
I have been thinking about the seat(s) for the CE.

Now that the car is drivable I am noticing that the seat feels pretty shot although it does not look bad. When I sit in it it squishes down about 6".

Now I'm conflicted about shipping the seat off to an unknown to me upholsterer. Just wondering what others have done in your ce? I am considering putting in a cheap set of bomber seats or AH sprite seats and keeping my eyes open for the right shop to redo my original seats.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

52-fan
01-15-2017, 01:46 PM
A good upholstery shop can do wonders. Please do not use bomber seats. Those have been way overdone in street rods.