Avanti Gas tank options for repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Gas tank options for repair

I was looking for old posts on gas tank replacements and found an old post from 2007 that there's a guy making stainless gas tanks for Studebaker Avantis (Olympus Avanti, Inc. George Dimitsas 773-486-6026 ) Does anybody know if these are still being fabricated, the cost and time frame (estimated at 6 months in 2007) to get this done. Gas Tank Renu in Holland, MI quoted me $375 (or more depending on problems found) to redo my 1963 Avanti tank - which seems reasonable. Am I better off with a stainless tank vs Renu? (and, yes, money is a concern and, no, I am not doing this myself) Cheers, all, Bob

Bob
    I have seen recent ads in the Avanti mag so he is around.
    Call him.
    pb

Comment

Avanti gas tank

I came out one morning to find all the gasoline that was in my '64 R2 Avanti on the garage floor. Good thing I had an electric water heater or the story would have been quite different.

Testing the tank showed one rivet head on the bottom had a very slow leak, a fast weep in fact.

I silver soldered around all the rivet heads on the tank. Has held great since, 25 years. The tank was in excellent condition otherwise. Seems to me the tank was stainless. Can anyone confirm?

Don J

Comment

Don
        I have one out at the moment and it is mild steel.
        pb

Comment

I have good used Avanti tanks
          Robert Kapteyn
          studebaker@mac.com

Comment

I took the tank out of my Avanti and dropped it off at Gas Tank Renue near me. Also the same $395 price, they told me that it would be ready in 2 weeks. When I called 2 weeks later they said that it had problems with the ends of the tank and would have to be replaced. Another $125. By the time I got it out of their shop 3 months later for less than another $100 I could have bought one of Olympus's SS tanks.

Comment

Working...
            X