Engine knock update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine knock update

A few weeks ago I started a post on a friends 60 Lark that had a knock just off idle. Well, as it turned out the problem was in the engine. The car itself wasn't worth the cost of a rebuild but I did find locally a 62 Cruiser that fit the bill. The asking price was reasonable but my friend got it for even less than what I thought would be a good buy. The Cruiser's brakes were locked up. Power drums. His 60 had just gotten new brakes front & rear. The Cruiser's exhaust system needed help. I offered to take the brakes off the 60 & install them on the Cruiser along with updating the master to a dual cylinder system & fix the exhaust so long as he got new head pipes. When he had brakes done they evidently didn't replace the flex lines, which may be the originals from 1960 & show some outside cracks. He thinks my suggestion is "a good idea." Otherwise this should be a nice running car. It's well equipped to with tinted glass all around, split front/reclining seats & an internal control antenna. Not too bad for perhaps a total investment of $850 or so don't you think?
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Nicely done, Warren

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Such a deal!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Helping Neighbor

You done GOOD Warren, that was more than nice of you to help your Neighbor out to get another Stude. lover and his Car "back on the Road again", God will bless you for that.

Here are a couple Pics at his Place from when I was visiting with you in May of 2011.
        The Plaque on the rear panel says: "Freewheeling Overdrive".
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1679631 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1679632 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0600.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1679633 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1679634

He had a nice Lionel Train Layout. I thought I took more Pics of the Lark, but if I did, they were not found.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A Volga station wagon? ...In USA???

Comment

He came over this afternoon & saw what I have done so far. I spent a good part of the day getting the fittings to use on the dual master conversion. I had a key made from the one broken off in the ignition but the new one only works the doors so when its roadworthy he'll have to drive it to a locksmith & have it done. I do NOT want to fight those wires for the ignition switch behind the dash! He's excited with its progress & now has to get the brake flex hoses & a pair of head pipes for the exhaust.
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

...was transplanting the Cruiser drivetrain into the 60' an option ?

Comment

Not really Jack. The 60 body, although pretty much rust free, had very poor body work done to it on the left side. Plus the fact that the present owner had a front end wreck & has slight frame sidesway without the funds to correct it properly. The interior (seats) is pretty shredded so it has seen better days is being kind. Plus the 60 was a 3 speed o/drive car & the Cruiser has an automatic so a driveshaft would have to be shortened or another obtained.

I have to keep reminding him NOT to touch the paint on the Cruiser. He honestly believes he can do paint work but what he has done to the 60 creates more harm than good. He doesn't have a compressor, just rattle cans.
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                X