1947 Studebaker Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1947 Studebaker Champion

I just purchased a 1947 Champion 4 door and am waiting for it to be delivered in about a week or so. In the mean time I am pouring over some pictures I received to try to see what will be involved in bringing it back to roadworthiness. One of the pictures under the hood shows a box just behind the battery box. I am wondering if anyone would know what it is. It is between the battery and the firewall. I have decided to sell the convertible project - just a little too much money and time for me at this stage of my life. The 47 convertible was to replace the 48 Champion 4dr that I grew up with. The 4 door seems so much more familiar to me even in the pictures.
    I plan on getting the hog trough model/drawings along enough for some one to complete to share them through the club for others to make their own for 47-52 convertibles and 52 hardtops.
    Anyone have any ideas on the box in the picture?
    Also, as part of my replication of the car I grew up with, I wan to use the grill and bumper from the original 48. Was the hood different other than the nameplate holes on the 48 vs 47? It is a different part number.
    Thanks

Neil
    Attached Files

Hi Neil,My 1947 Champion 4-door does not the part you are asking about. I could e-mail some detail photos of there is anything specific you would like to compare. My car is restored to very original condition.
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Until you can get a closer picture of that "box" I can't tell you what it is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't standard equipment. The picture does seem to show an overdrive relay, so you have that, which is good news. I believe that the orange Fram filter case is also OEM optional equipment. Have fun with your new Champion!
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Hi Bill and John. The Champion is to be delivered one week from today. I am looking forward to it. Bill, as I move it along, I will take you up on the pictures offer.
        John, I am with you on it not being standard equipment. I am glad to see the overdrive also and it has a clock and a radio also. With time, I hope I can get all that working again. The Fram was an option also. My father's 48 did not have it and my 47 convertible does not. The 47 running drive train I am selling with the convertible has the oil filter. I have the convertible listed on the Swap site.

Regards

Neil

Comment

My 47 does not have that box either. I had a 52 years ago that had a similar box which allowed you to hook dual 6 volt batteries together to give more starting power.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

hi Milt. That does make some sense as it is right beside the battery. Where would the second battery go for that device?

Regards

Neil

Comment

The second battery for the 52 was in the trunk
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

With the 6 volt system and the resulting high current, the cables would need to be a pretty size healthy over that distance I would guess. I am curious to see how it is set up in the 47. I will know next Monday/Tuesday when it gets delivered.
                Thanks

Neil

Comment

In my opinion, adding a second battery for better starts is a complicated way of hiding the symptoms, not curing the problem. If the starter drags, have it repaired by someone who knows what he/she is doing. Have a fully charged 6-volt battery, and a good generator and voltage regulator to keep it that way. With clean, fresh fuel; an ignition system delivering correct spark; and air coming through the air filter, the car will start very easily. Oh yes, avoid ethanol at all costs (and actually, it doesn't cost --- in our area ethanol-free premium gasoline is cheaper to use than regular gasoline with ethanol, as the difference in fuel mileage more than offsets the higher price of premium.)
                  Bill Jarvis

Comment

Hoods are interchangeable. (In fact, the later hood was eventually the only one in later parts books listed, so it was the service part for '47s per correspondance with Richard Quinn) Holes MAY be different for the hood ornament and front of hood badge. Both those things changed from 47 to 48.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
                      In my opinion, adding a second battery for better starts is a complicated way of hiding the symptoms, not curing the problem. If the starter drags, have it repaired by someone who knows what he/she is doing. Have a fully charged 6-volt battery, and a good generator and voltage regulator to keep it that way. With clean, fresh fuel; an ignition system delivering correct spark; and air coming through the air filter, the car will start very easily. Oh yes, avoid ethanol at all costs (and actually, it doesn't cost --- in our area ethanol-free premium gasoline is cheaper to use than regular gasoline with ethanol, as the difference in fuel mileage more than offsets the higher price of premium.)
                      Yes I could not agree more. I am a tractor collector - 9 Cockshutt's would you believe. a 70, 20 deluxe, 30, 35 deluxe, 540 x3 , 550, and a 570 super. Any that are 6 volt I keep 6 volt. One only has been changed to 12 volts, and is on the long list to change it back to 6 volt someday.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        Hoods are interchangeable. (In fact, the later hood was eventually the only one in later parts books listed, so it was the service part for '47s per correspondance with Richard Quinn) Holes MAY be different for the hood ornament and front of hood badge. Both those things changed from 47 to 48.
                        Thanks very much. I plan on rebadging and grilling it to a 48 using the original 48 grill and bumper.

Comment

Well it arrived on Monday night. I worked at it and found valves stuck on cylinders 4, 5 and 6. I hit prety hard on intake # six and it will not go down all the way. I may have bent the valve. With the lifter cover off, I can fee the free travel of the tappet. So I went to start it knowint it would run on at most 5 cylinders. After checking/rearranging the firing order, I got it started on about 4 cylinders. I was able to drive it inside the shed so it will miss the snow storm tonight!. I ordered new valves and gaskets for it as other than that it seem to run pretty well with oil pressure and no oil smoke.
                          The box I was aking about under the hood was a battery charger bolted there. I will take it out.
                          Anyone have a glove box for it in Ontario? Also a good to NOS LH rear fender? The doors have been repaired and will need repairing again.
                          Here is the link I bought it from. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...ord=studebaker 1947
                          It is neat to see the oil pressure go up, the heat gauge go up just like I used to watch on the family 48 back when I was 10 years old!
                          Neil

Comment

Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
                            Well it arrived on Monday night. I worked at it and found valves stuck on cylinders 4, 5 and 6. I hit prety hard on intake # six and it will not go down all the way. I may have bent the valve. With the lifter cover off, I can fee the free travel of the tappet. So I went to start it knowint it would run on at most 5 cylinders. After checking/rearranging the firing order, I got it started on about 4 cylinders. I was able to drive it inside the shed so it will miss the snow storm tonight!. I ordered new valves and gaskets for it as other than that it seem to run pretty well with oil pressure and no oil smoke.The box I was aking about under the hood was a battery charger bolted there. I will take it out.Anyone have a glove box for it in Ontario? Also a good to NOS LH rear fender? The doors have been repaired and will need repairing again.Here is the link I bought it from. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...ord=studebaker 1947It is neat to see the oil pressure go up, the heat gauge go up just like I used to watch on the family 48 back when I was 10 years old!Neil
                            That's a nice looking car. I like the colour. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. Let me know if I can help out with info.
                            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Thanks very much Bill. I shall indeed take you up on your offer as I move forward with it. I think the colour is Tulip Creme if it a correct Studebaker colour, although it looks like it started out black as per the under the hood colour.
                              It is Serial number 312140 and it is a W5 model. Unfortunately in the picture, you are seeing its good side. Quite a bit more rust on the right side.
                              My fathers was - actually is green and a W3 model. I will need to resist the temptation to pain it green! Waht is you serial number and colour?
                              Regards

Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X