Valve covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve covers

Can someone explain the Studebaker Olfhoussen (probably not spelled correctly) link?

I am looking for finned valve covers for my Studebaker 289 engine and everything I find has the Olfhoussen name on it. Are they correct... should they work... is there a way to get them with the Studebaker name on them?

Thanks

They are Offenhauser, and very popular old school Hot Rod Parts, they are usually as desirable or more so, they should fit fine IF they are for Studebaker V8's. They made Performance Parts for all popular Engines.

The "Studebaker" cast Aluminum ones have been made a few times in aftermarket and the last was probably the Lionel Stone version, there could be some left now that he is out of business at one of our Supercharger experts; John Erb a "Turning Wheels" Advertiser.

Another "Turning Wheels" Advertiser, Studebaker International also has them with and without Oil Caps for $275.00 and $265.00 a Pair.

You can sign up and become a International Studebaker Drivers Club Member at the top of these pages for a first time discount to get all the "Good" information about; Parts, Cars For sale and wanted etc.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found some on Mooneyes Online Store.

It's a GOOD thing you can edit your just written stuff; I don't think there was any Studebaker valve-covers there.
      SORRY!
      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-31-2013, 04:56 AM. Reason: Slow thinking brain.

Comment

No car guy should ever forget Fred Offenhauser.

"Frederick Offenhauser, Jr., was born November 11, 1888 in Los Angeles, California.
        Offenhauser began working in the shop of Harry Arminius Miller in 1913 at age 25, when the state of the art double overhead cam, four valve per cylinder Peugeot Grand Prix car, an engine design which would be contemporary even today, won the Indianapolis 500. Miller named Offenhauser the head of Miller's engine department in 1914. Bob Burman was campaigning the engine that year, but when World War I made it impossible to get parts, Miller's shop got the job of maintaining it. The design so impressed Miller and Offenhauser that they designed an engine on largely similar principles.
        In 1917, Offenhauser designed and built Barney Oldfield's famous "Golden Submarine".
        In 1919, Leo Goossen joined Miller’s shop and Offenhauser became plant manager. Miller's company went bankrupt in 1933. Offenhauser bought the patterns and equipment from Miller, and began developing the engine with Goossen.[1] The engine experienced great success at the Indianapolis 500, with 24 victories in 27 years. Offenhauser himself was not frequently seen in Indianapolis.
        In 1934, Offenhauser built his first 97 cubic inch engine for midget car racing. The car won its first race in Curly Mills' car. Offenhauser sold the business in 1946 to Louis Meyer and Dale Drake. Meyer and Drake continued producing the motor using the Offenhauser name.

Fred then founded Offenhauser Equipment Corporation, a hotrod parts company produced cylinder heads, intake manifolds, rocker covers and many other speed parts.
        He died August 17, 1973 in Los Angeles, California. He was buried at Inglewood Park Cemetery, in Inglewood, California.
        "
        Last edited by PackardV8; 03-31-2013, 09:49 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          No car guy should ever forget Fred Offenhauser.

"Frederick Offenhauser, Jr., was born November 11, 1888 in Los Angeles, California.
          Offenhauser began working in the shop of Harry Arminius Miller in 1913 at age 25, when the state of the art double overhead cam, four valve per cylinder Peugeot Grand Prix car, an engine design which would be contemporary even today, won the Indianapolis 500. Miller named Offenhauser the head of Miller's engine department in 1914. Bob Burman was campaigning the engine that year, but when World War I made it impossible to get parts, Miller's shop got the job of maintaining it. The design so impressed Miller and Offenhauser that they designed an engine on largely similar principles.
          In 1917, Offenhauser designed and built Barney Oldfield's famous "Golden Submarine".
          In 1919, Leo Goossen joined Miller’s shop and Offenhauser became plant manager. Miller's company went bankrupt in 1933. Offenhauser bought the patterns and equipment from Miller, and began developing the engine with Goossen.[1] The engine experienced great success at the Indianapolis 500, with 24 victories in 27 years. Offenhauser himself was not frequently seen in Indianapolis.
          In 1934, Offenhauser built his first 97 cubic inch engine for midget car racing. The car won its first race in Curly Mills' car. Offenhauser sold the business in 1946 to Louis Meyer and Dale Drake. Meyer and Drake continued producing the motor using the Offenhauser name.

Fred then founded Offenhauser Equipment Corporation, a hotrod parts company produced cylinder heads, intake manifolds, rocker covers and many other speed parts.
          He died August 17, 1973 in Los Angeles, California. He was buried at Inglewood Park Cemetery, in Inglewood, California.
          "
          Thank you very much for the history lesson. Talented man.
          Stude Rookie

Comment

I have a pair of new "STUDEBAKER" aluminum finned valve covers for sale. Never installed, just sitting on my shelf as they were never put on the Avanti I sold. It is block lettering, they are full polished, the fins run down to the head on the ends. Gorgeous. Would post a picture if I knew how on this forum. PM me if interested.

Comment

2 bolt? 4 bolt? With oil fill tube holes? W/o oil fill tube holes?

Originally posted by StillOutThere View Post
              I have a pair of new "STUDEBAKER" aluminum finned valve covers for sale. Never installed, just sitting on my shelf as they were never put on the Avanti I sold. It is block lettering, they are full polished, the fins run down to the head on the ends. Gorgeous. Would post a picture if I knew how on this forum. PM me if interested.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The covers that "Stillouthere" has, are very simillar to the Offenhauser rocker covers, they just say Studebaker rather thAn Offenhauser on them.
                A tad heavy, solid,. I just (about 2 hours ago) put a Offy set on the engine for my 54 wagon. They also have the large Offenhauser (also an old design) breathers on them, straight but with the angled mounting flange. Mounted to the inside wall of the covers. Looks great on a hot rod Stude.

Mike

Comment

I have the OFFY style that says Studebaker $265 a set with breather tubes $255 without. If you want we can do 2 breathers per side for $275 a set. Matching valley covers are at the polisher now so they will be available soon. Also have the oil fill tube block off plate in finned aluminum for $15. I have taken these over from Ben Ordas who was the original manufacturer.
                  Thanks Phil Harris Fairborn Studebaker

Comment

Here's a set I dressed up for an R2. Carb hat chrome was bad so blower, hat, fan, valve and valley covers were painted to match with the tops of the fins polished out. The stippled area around the Studebaker lettering was done in dark charcoal for some detail contrasted.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pictures help. This one from Dick Steinkamp's rebuild of Lee Talbot's Kart Hauler has the Offy cast.

Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Okay... so no that Im educated on Offy's

Why the option for an oil breather on each side? My stock valve covers have this but why the after market option to have or not have them?

Comment

Well it is pretty simple, if you have a '51 to Early '62 and you still have the Original Oil Filler Pipe you don't need Breather Caps and a Place to fill it.

But if you have a Late '62 to '64 and you use those Covers you could not Fill the Crankcase!

The Valve Cover Oil Caps do blow less Oil out than the Filler Pipe does, so it is a good improvement to have them, when an Engine gets some higher Mileage on it.
                          Then you can "clean up" the front center of the Engine by getting rid of the pipe and adding a remote Filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64_HT_for_sale_Mine 008.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1679635
                          This is the '64 Daytona Hardtop that my Son Mike correctly restored, Painted and detailed.
                          Late '62-'64's have a Full Flow Filter on the Right Rear of the Block.
                          It now lives in Australia.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well it is pretty simple, if you have a '51 to Early '62 and you still have the Original Oil Filler Pipe you don't need Breather Caps and a Place to fill it.

But if you have a Late '62 to '64 and you use those Covers you could not Fill the Crankcase!

Not sure what you mean. If you have a front breather it, is still open to the lifter valley and it's return to the pan even on the '62 to '64.
                            Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt
                            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jim the "higher up" Breathers and away from the spinning Timing gears and the center of the Fan Air Flow does seem to help with the Blow-by that all Engines with "Old School" tolerances have some of, more or less.
                              In the Valve Cover the Crankcase gases and Air Flow does not "pull" as much Oil with it.

Just ask someone who owns a 232 with the Fuel Pump Rod and Fuel Pump "Oiler" tube and Filter Return pumping Oil into the Filler Pipe how much Oil Spray they get!

I understand that the Air Flow is SUPPOSED to be INTO the Breather Caps, but at higher speed that is not always the case.

It works better if you have a 1961 and up California/New York PCV System to help drawing Air in, but on Avanti it still was not enough to cure the lifter area Oil Spray problem at the anticipated higher RPM's.

It required a Factory Designed "First Ever" SAE praised, Closed System, upper Crankcase Kit and Oil Pan breather assisted by intake "draw" to cure it.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X