Station Wagon Shades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Station Wagon Shades

I saw these on a few examples from some cars from NZ and wondered if someone here in the States made these? https://vault2.secured-url.com/ShopS...=Auto%20Shades

Apparently they were built to fit any sort of rear window configuration and they looked sharp, I thought. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...baker&page=118

The first link, center picture reminds me of the elusive 47-52 Starlight Coupe Shades. Boy if they made those.... as people are always looking for them

Mark

Comment

Good point. You'd think though, with all the Stude owners from Aus/NZ that someone would have made it more widely known those shades could be had again.

There must be a catch....

Comment

When I ordered my Wagonaire from Canada I could no longer get all windows in tinted glass (windshield only). A Wagonaire is a rolling green house and the AC has trouble cooling the car. So, I bought a complete set of aluminum sunshade screens from Sears. Below is the only picture I seem to have, but they were fitted to the Wagonaire window shapes. I had them for the door windows and the rear window too, but they were kind of a pain to use and they rattled so I took them off. The door shades were roll down like your home shades and the rear one was hinged from the roof. The door shades were fastened to the roof just above each door.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've sent an inquiry to the company asking about making a new pattern for C-Ks.

I have a rear-window shade for my Karmann Ghia that I believe was made by this company (I worked through a VW guy in OZ) on a pattern made for me. These people use original jigs and patterns from the old days. The shades are made of steel, spot-welded and painted, on extendable rails that slip between the rubber and the glass. It's pretty good work, and robust.

I organized a buy for my club that involved several more on various patterns, so was able to rationalize the shipping. The same could be done for Studes, of course. Anyone interested?

Comment

I remember those types Paul. I don't remember the ones that fit on the individual doors, but from your description, it sounds like they were too much bother to put up with.

Good Luck, Steven. I need to keep track of this thread in case this takes off and the company gets steady business from it.

Comment

If there was enough interest in making them for the starlight coupe (47-52), I would be interested. The last time I saw these on e-bay, I think they were in teh $900 price range....way outta my price range, but if there was some in the $150 range then yes. I know I am dreaming!

Mark

Comment

If you look at the prices on the stock styles, you can infer that outfitting a car with these will likely cost somewhere around $400-500 with shipping and whatnot if you can gather enough interest to make a worthwhile run, I'm thinking 10-15 units per style.

This shade has made a huge difference in my Ghia, I think it's really a necessary accessory for large rear greenhouses (like the C-K) here in the Southwest, both for driving comfort and preservation of interior fabrics. I haven't seen anything on the market that can touch it for convenience, style and durability. If I can get three people here who are seriously interested and not afraid of the price, I'll set up a special thread for it and try to get something going.

Comment

Dad had something similar to this in "our" '64 Impala SS in the 60's:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-1964-CH...b81e9e&vxp=mtr

i remember it as aluminum, fixed open at an angle to provide maximum vision.

as long as they're not the awful looking (now) flat black exterior shades i had on my '82 Trans-Am, i may be interested for the '51 rear window(s).
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm in for a set for the 47 to 52 Starlight

Comment

I was looking at the wagon thread on HAMB and saw more examples of those shades on this page: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ngtop&page=117

Comment

here is a link from my blog: http://www.papercitymag.com/Article/...n-%2B-Machine/
                        There is a wagon with roll up shades. I have always liked the look of the shades and the wind wings.
                        1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Roll up shades?! I've seen the fixed panels that set in the car. They'd be interesting to see in person, I have to think they'd flutter around even when rolled up if the windows were down.

I think the shades would complement the green color on that wagon, for sure. The Triumph in that article was sweeeet.

I posted on your blog.

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                            here is a link from my blog: http://www.papercitymag.com/Article/...n-%2B-Machine/
                            There is a wagon with roll up shades. I have always liked the look of the shades and the wind wings.
                            The pull down shades on the Lark wagon in the link look just like mine except that my set came with fixed shades for the rear side windows and a hinged shade for the rear. I still have the ones I took off. They all worked well and helped with cooling, but the roll up ones were kind of a nuisance in getting in and out of the car and they rattled.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                              Roll up shades?! I've seen the fixed panels that set in the car. They'd be interesting to see in person, I have to think they'd flutter around even when rolled up if the windows were down.

I think the shades would complement the green color on that wagon, for sure. The Triumph in that article was sweeeet.

I posted on your blog.
                              I think that the fixed shades would be the way to go. The one in my link has them at every side window in the car. The racket would be annoying as all hell to me.

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              The pull down shades on the Lark wagon in the link look just like mine except that my set came with fixed shades for the rear side windows and a hinged shade for the rear. I still have the ones I took off. They all worked well and helped with cooling, but the roll up ones were kind of a nuisance in getting in and out of the car and they rattled.
                              As said above, I think the rattle would drive me bonkers. Do you have any pictures of your wagon with them in?
                              1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X